The Diesel Stop banner

Motor mounts

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Phil G. 
#1 ·
Had my '06 inspected and they said the motor mounts are completely sacked.

Are these possible to replace w/o lifting the cab?

Hoping for the best...

#2 · (Edited)
Yes it is, I pulled my engine without lifting the cab. I'm not sure how far you'll have to go with the engine pull to get the mounts out though. Pics in post #44 in my worklog below shows you how far I went with it...pretty much all the way.

#3 ·
Thanks Phil --

anybody ever replaced these? I can't find any info at all. I guess question is, how far do I have the jack the engine up? I've seen some non-specific references about removing the radiator/fan and jacking the engine up but can't find a writeup anywhere.

#4 ·
If I recall it has to be up several inches, I think one side of the mount is studs that have to clear before they drop into the holes (it was a couple years ago, trying to remember..... I'm betting the turbo would be in the way for height, I'm not sure about the bell housing. I ended up dropping the tranny, finishing the motor install then reinstalling the tranny because I could no way no how get the two meshed back up by myself. The A/C compressor is probably going to add additional pain on the passenger side. I've never heard of these mounts failing but anything ins possible as these trucks age I guess.

#5 ·
thanks again phil. i haven't gotten up there to look at them myself yet...but I am curious as to what is "sacked" considering there is zero info out there. I couldn't even find a part number, so I called the local ford and he found it but he said he had never heard of them being replaced. The truck only has 130k on it.

#6 ·
Since you posted no symptoms, I'll assume you have none, it just showed up on an inspection.

Based on that assumption, I think I would:

1. get a second opinion, showing you some kind of proof... like they can move the engine with a pry bar, lift the truck and point to the issue with the mount etc.

2. Let it go until you start having some symptoms.

My truck has almost 4 times the miles and a ton of heavy towing and no issues with them. I'm really scratching my head on this one.

If you had it inspected because you are required to have a safely permit for it (like around my area) and they won't give you one because of the mounts, I think I would take my chances, take the truck elsewhere and pay for another inspection and see what happens. If the mounts are fine, you just saved a ton of $. If they fail you spent an extra 50 or 100 for the second inspection but at least you know the cost to replace them was justified.

IF you do wind up doing it, have the oil pan inspected closely, they don't rust like the 7.3's did but they do rust. They aren't expensive but the labor to lift the engine to change them could be.... you see where I'm going with this.

Let us know how it turns out if you do anything at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.