Napa Gold oil filter ???? - Page 4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #46 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Napa Gold oil filter ????

I guess when you place an order you can specify that you want the made in germany motorcraft twin filter if not dont ship it..
It would flat out be nice to know 100% if wix changed manufactures, their was some 7.3l issues with their filters in the past and i forgave them.. but i dont like the looks of what may be comming. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
j.schall
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #47 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
I guess when you place an order you can specify that you want the made in germany motorcraft twin filter if not dont ship it..j.schall

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt make any special request...in fact i ordered off
their web pages AFTER i did all the work in looking up
the pat. numbers & determine who had the cheapest.

i for one will continue to do business w/ fleet...im not
associated w/ them in anyway shape or form...just shared
the work that i did on my own...

the product that i was delivered is in perfect form !
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #48 (permalink)

I too will continue to trade with them with out a doubt i think i will just double check, i too ordered off the web so im not sure how to check maybe a quick note in the comments section..
j.schall
Old 08-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #49 (permalink)

Yo, POS, any answer for us? What's the deal with these new filters? Who makes them? Why the change? It's not just the black ooze, the construction is totally different from what we were used to. What's with the plastic sleeve on the inside? Seems like it would restrict flow somewhat. Inquiring minds what to know.

RIP: 1999.5 F250 4x4. Pro Comp 4" front 2.5" rear. BFG AT 285 75 R16.
SDHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #50 (permalink)
POS

I don't have an answer right now because I'm out of town (I'm sitting in a hotel lobby reading this post right now); I'll be back on Thursday and I'll open my new pallet of filters and see what they look like. I really don't have any answers right because I don't have access to those answers. But I'll post again on Thursday.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #51 (permalink)

Fair enough POS have a safe trip....
j.schall
Old 08-02-2005, 06:06 PM   #52 (permalink)

POS; Thanks for staying in the loop. Rob
Old 08-03-2005, 01:04 PM   #53 (permalink)

Sounds good POS, just let us know as soon as you can as some of us are waiting to install one of these on our next oil change.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #54 (permalink)
BA

Be fore you jump up and down saying they are just the same you need to read the complete post. The filters coming out out the NAPA Gold box no longer look like the MC / Wix filters. They now have a plastic edge around the top &amp; bottom as well as a plastic tub through the center. My last MC/Wix filters didn't have those characteristics, and therefore we have an interest in why the change. Where who make them, and are they any good! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
They no longer say made in Germany no Made in USA
This is how they look.
Mine didn't have the extra glue!

Bill
<font color="blue"> F250 SD / PSD / SWB / CC / 4x4 /</font><font color="red"> Silver </font> <font color="blue"> / Med.Flint / TT Mirrors / RH Bullnose / </font> Dipricol gauges / <font color="green"> 315 BFG A/Ts </font><font color="blue">/ Bilstein shocks </font> <font color="black"> / Spray Liner </font> <font color="blue">/ Billet grille / Edge 2" Mini Spring Pack </font> <font color="orange"> /clearance lights / </font>
<font color="black"> </font> /MBRP / XM Radio / 24" wipers / PC Xtream 8085
BA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2005, 07:40 AM   #55 (permalink)
POS

We opened a few cases of these yesterday and looked at all of them. The "style" of them looks like what BAF250 posted - they do not look like the MC style of filter. They have a plastic surround top and and bottom, and they have a plastic core inside; the filter media is glued to the top and bottom; the filters say "Made in the USA" on them.

Of the filters we examined yesterday, all looked very similar. The only issues we could find was some discoloration of the plastic on the top and bottom plastic pieces (hardly an issue) and we noticed that some of the glue tended to coagulate in between the filter media and glob up - the "globs" in between the media were minor and also do not impact the filtering ability. I do not believe that the "globs" could come loose and, if even they did, they would be stopped by the filter media from entering the engine.

Also, in the pictures posted by BAF250, his last photo shows what looks like melted plastic around the housing. To me in the picture, the "melted plastic" looks like excess glue that has run out and over the side. None of the filters we opened yesterday looked like that at all. If we saw one of those, we wouldn't sell it - we'd defect it. Regardless, as long as the filter fit in it's engine-housing properly, the filter would still properly filter the oil even though the filter didn't look all that pretty, but he's right to be concerned. I would second-guess myself too if I had seen that filter in my hand. Again, none of the filters we viewed yesterday looked like his.

I talked to Wix customer tech and asked them about any changes on the line, and they have no way to tell me if there were any changes and if those "strange" filters came from an outside supplier (like filter companies are known to do). I'm convinced the only way to get a manufacturing question answered like that is to talk someone directly involved in the manufacturing process - I wouldn't know where to start and I'd bet they wouldn't want that information known to the outside world.

I can't promise that every Wix filter will be perfect in its appearance, and I can't promise that every filter we sell will be either. We will continue to open cases randomly and spot check the "look" of the filter, but I am not concerned at all about the filters ability to filter the oil to ratings set by the manufacturer - regardless of the filter's appearance. If you get one of these odd filters, we'll gladly take it back.

By the way, I still use Wix in my truck and will continue to do so regardless if the filter looks perfect or not - I'm more concerned about it's ability to do its job properly, and I have the same confidence that I've always had that it will do just that.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:11 AM   #56 (permalink)
BA

MrMike is the one who took the pictures I just pulled them from a post he made early in this thread. My filters did not have the extra glue, I used the pics to show the people saying the NAPA Gold looked just like the MC / Wix. I just wanted info from anyone that had used this type filter.

Bill
<font color="blue"> F250 SD / PSD / SWB / CC / 4x4 /</font><font color="red"> Silver </font> <font color="blue"> / Med.Flint / TT Mirrors / RH Bullnose / </font> Dipricol gauges / <font color="green"> 315 BFG A/Ts </font><font color="blue">/ Bilstein shocks </font> <font color="black"> / Spray Liner </font> <font color="blue">/ Billet grille / Edge 2" Mini Spring Pack </font> <font color="orange"> /clearance lights / </font>
<font color="black"> </font> /MBRP / XM Radio / 24" wipers / PC Xtream 8085
BA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2005, 10:56 AM   #57 (permalink)

Interesting. I'd still like to know the real answer. Has Wix changed their manufacturing process or are they now buying from someone else? An even better question is, has anyone actually used one of these new style Napa Gold filters in their 6.0 yet? Any adverse effects?

Old 08-05-2005, 11:17 AM   #58 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)

I've got one in mine and it still runs...lol.
8" Lift, Fox Shox, 37x13.5x20 Toyo Open Country MT on Method Racing Wheels, US Gear 4.88, MagnaFlow Exhaust, AMP Research PowerStep, Auto Meter Cobalt Gauges (EGT Boost Trans), ScanGaugeII, Firestone Air Bags/Compressor/Tank, BulletProofDiesel EGR Cooler, Valvoline lubricants, Final Charge Global ELC, DieselSite Coolant Filter
JW350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2005, 12:07 PM   #59 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

I talked to Wix customer tech and asked them about any changes on the line, and they have no way to tell me if there were any changes and if those "strange" filters came from an outside supplier ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a good sign when they don't even know where their filters are made or how, think I'll go back to motorcraft filters.
Engine #6086061 13May03 Build Date 05/19/03
Drove it home 06/04/03

Beer is Gods way of saying he loves us!

'72 F250 4x2 Camper Special 360/Auto
'70 Challenger Convertible 383/4-Speed
(528 hemi/5-speed) Coming soon, ok coming slowly

Mod's: 1] Harpooned Tank 2] Door DingDing Gone 3] Velvet Rides 4] Bilstien Shocks 5] Fumoto
sticksnglue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #60 (permalink)

I agree sticksnglue. Not a good sign. POS, please try to get us a better answer. I'm aprehensive about using these filters. Usually when a company has a major change made to their product line it is to cut costs. If that comes at the expense of quality, I'll have nothing of it. Especially with something as important as an oil filter. I am not impressed with the visual inspection of these filters. I'm leaning towards sending them back. I need to be convinced otherwise.

The whole reason why I bought them was because I thought I was getting the same Napa Gold filter I had bought from Napa several times, just at a reduced "fleet" price. Saving a few bucks, however is not worth it if "experimenting" with an unproven design and product leads to damage. These trucks are too expensive for that.

If I can be convinced that they are every bit as good as the older style, I'll happily use them. So far that has not happened.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.