need to change my fan belt - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need to change my fan belt

I need to change my fan belt
before it breaks
how does one change it with all that stuff in the way
beetruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: need to change my fan belt

You have to remove the cooling fan shroud, fan, and fan stator. You'll need basic hand tools along with a 1 7/8 fan wrench.
Gofaster23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

And don't forget the sharp knife to cut the old belt off, in fraction of a second [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Kentucky built 2004 Silver F-250 XL Reg Cab PSD, 4X2, bench cloth seat,air conditioning, 6 spd Manual, 3.73 LS,Line-X , FORD receiver, Prodigy brake controller,towing option,( put together on Monday, March 29, del April 9 2004) 62000 miles
ta152h0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
And don't forget the sharp knife to cut the old belt off, in fraction of a second [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best to hold off on cutting the belt until you are sure you want to finish removing the other stuff and have the tools to do it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
MPG: 16.08 2007 ytd average; 29k miles
2005 F 250 PSD Crew Cab Long Bed XL Auto
Completely Stock Truck: No Modifications
15 days in shop; a factor in deciding to sell.
05F250PS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Look for the metal tab on the tensioner.... it resides at the bottom of the tensioner and is one of the few steel parts... the only one that isn't "round". Grab the belt just below the alternator pulley and pull real good... have an assistant push up on the metal tab... it will engage a slot in the tensioner arm and release the tension....

Remove the belt however you please.....

Back off the bolts holding the tensioner to the engine.... this will make it easier to feed the belt between the engine and the smooth pulley.... This may require some dexterity and one or two trips to beneath the engine to route the belt.....

If those damned folds in the belt fall the right way, this will take about 1/2 hour....
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 01:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would seriously think about taking it to a dealer if you've never done it before. It can be done with patience. The only tricky part is getting the fan shroud off. Some techs cut the shroud near the top, where that seam is and install screws to hold it together. I drain a little coolant, disconnect the upper radiator hose and degas bottle hoses from the radiator, take out the two 8mm bolts from the top of the shroud, and use two pry bars to pull the shroud up. In doing this you risk busting off the degas bottle to radiator port on the top left of the radiator. That part is very brittle. If you break that you're SOL and have to buy a radiator from a dealer, last time I checked an aftermarket one wasn't available. Just something to think about to save headaches.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the help
Seems like allot of work but oh well
has to be done soon
Who ever designed these trucks should work on themselves too then design ( not some other person and then reports back )
I like the older trucks to work on
This crazy to do all that work to change a belt
I hope they get better on designing part for working on them soon if not the whole engine will be under the cab
beetruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have some instuctions on how to change the belt without removing anything. If you want me to dig them out let me know.I kept them because I knew one day I was gonna have to change it too.I sounded pretty easy so don't worry [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

2008 F250 SUPERCAB 4X4 SWB SOLD 10/23/2011

2011 F250 CREWCAB 4X4 6.7/AUTO XLT SOLD 9/2/14

2014 F350 Lariat crewcab 6.7 4x4
dmags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just be glad you don't have an Econoline. To remove the belt on a 6.0 E-Series the radiator and charge air cooler have to come out.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

This is what I found... Quote "I have found a way to change the belt in 30-45 min without removing anything but the belt.This sounds kinda shady but I promise it works,I have used this method twice on my truck and another time on my buddys.you will need a small ratchet strap similar the motorcycle type,the smaller the hooks the better.From the underside of the truck you can see the tensioner,place the hook into the pulley and attach the other end to the bumper mount making sure that the strap runs below the sway bar.Next tighten the strap until the belt is free to the point that it can be slid off the pulley,release the tension on the strap and remove the hook from the pulley.Now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]remove the belt from the rest of the accessories,and reinstall the new belt,an extra pair of hands are good to have at this point.This sounds crazy I know but I promise it works and you won'thave to cut or dismantle anything."

2008 F250 SUPERCAB 4X4 SWB SOLD 10/23/2011

2011 F250 CREWCAB 4X4 6.7/AUTO XLT SOLD 9/2/14

2014 F350 Lariat crewcab 6.7 4x4
dmags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.