The Diesel Stop banner

Need some direction after new oil cooler and EGR

966 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Phil G. 
#1 ·
So I just had a shop replace the oil cooler and install a Sinister EGR tube. The truck has 118000 miles on it. I have put about 200 miles on the truck since it came out of the shop. This weekend I took my toy hauler and went camping about 90 miles from my house. Before I left town the factory oil pressure gauge was working intermittently, I took it to the shop that did they work and they said it was a bad sensor and would order one up. The temps were within range (5-8 degrees difference) on my scan gauge. When towing 9,000 pounds the temps were within 12-15 degrees up some very long steep grades. I got to camp no problem, The next day I went to start the truck and it was really hard to start, ran very rough and was blowing grey smoke. I had to run to a event so I left the truck until about 6 hours later. This time the truck started up no problem so I turned it off and enjoyed the day. I went to head hime today(Sun) early am, the truck started up normally, I hooked up the toy hauler and just before heading out I did my usual walk around to make sure everything was in place. As I looked own at the truck I saw a puddle of oil on the ground, about 10 inches in diameter. I shut the truck off and could see oil leaking from the passenger side of the engine but I couldn't determine where the oil was coming from? I had the truck towed back to the shop and they will look at it in the morning, so any thoughts on what could have happened?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I am going through a similiar event. Someone else may be able to chime in better.

I had the same issue with thw Lpo switch and had a new one installed. Mine wasnt working due to a clogged oil filter. Somewhere along the line I have developed a HPOP leak. My truck will be headed to the shop in the morning for a Dx.

#3 ·
I just did my coolers this weekend. I forgot and make a mistake that will probably bite me if I don't fix it. If you clean the oil pressure switch with cleaners like brake clean, it will ruin it and it will leak. I used a couple can of brake clean while cleaning up the oil cooler housing without removing the oil sensor first (which is mounted in the top of it) ...by bad. But at least they are under $50 and easy to get at.

My bet is that's where your issue is, at at least lets hope!

#4 ·
The shop is looking at it in a bit I will ask them to check that first.
Thanks

#5 ·
And we have a winner!!!! Phil G. is correct! Oil pressure sensor switch it is. 40 buck part and I should get the truck back later today...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.