The Diesel Stop banner

Need some help

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  marcmmclellan 
#1 ·
I am by no mean an expert however I have learned a ton about 6.0 Powerstrokes and Diesels in general.

I have a 2006 F250 with a 6.0 Powerstroke. I bought it used a few years ago. It ran really good. The only real stress it gets is driving up to the local mountains. I never had any problems until I took it to the dealer. It now overheats and pukes out of the degas.

Of course I know of all of the horror stories however I am a stickler for maintenance. Besides the dealer performed all of the pressure tests.

The dealer did replace the degas bottle. Could it be that simple that the degas bottle is the problem?

My wife has been pressuring me to take it in and get it bulletproofed. I would like to bulletproof it but I dont know where to begin with finding a shop in the Los Angeles area.

I realize this is little information. I can answer further questions if needed.

I appreciate all of the forums help.

Marc

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you have them do a coolant flush? Sometimes a flush loosens things that circulate around an clog the oil cooler, so I'm told...

#4 ·
Not then

Thank you for your reply.

I did not have a coolant flush then. I brought it in for an oil change and to fix some leaks. The dealer came up with a list of problems. I took it to another dealer and they came up with a new list of problems...

I just did a coolant flush my self using the instructions on this site.

#3 ·
I'am out in Rancho Cucamonga, and Dealer Alternative here really knows what they are doing, and are reasonably priced for bulletproofing.

So the dealer verified that the EGR cooler and Oil cooler are functioning correctly? Sounds like your close to needing to bulletproof.

#6 ·
Possibly a defective degas cap.

#8 ·
The degas bottle is just a pressurized plastic jug with room for air to rise out of the coolant. If it's puking then it's holding pressure at the bottle and if you've replaced the cap a few times that shouldn't be the issue. It is impossible for this to be happening and your truck pass all the diagnostics. Either the oil is boiling the coolant because it is way above acceptable temps, the coolant is blocked somewhere and therefore overheating due to inability to flow to the radiator, the headgaskets are leaking pressure into the coolant passages, or something. I'm not against the bulletproofing idea, especially since you were leaning that way to begin with and the process basically replaces all potential points of failure. I absolutely advise you to not let the shop that told you it all checked out do the work. That problem should not remain a mystery after a trip to a proficient diesel mechanic.

#11 ·
I absolutely advise you to not let the shop that told you it all checked out do the work. That problem should not remain a mystery after a trip to a proficient diesel mechanic.

Agreed! I stopped taking to them after this. I went to two different dealers and they gave different problems.

I am searching for a good mechanic in my area...

#9 ·
Exactly, after all if everything was in fact working the way it should you wouldn't be having this issue. You've got an issue, probably one that would be solved by bulletproofing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.