New engine bad idea? 2006 F350 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New engine bad idea? 2006 F350

Hello, new member here, hope this post is in the right place!
I am looking for a used Truck. I am going to look at one tomorrow. It's a 2006 F350 Lariat Crew Cab, 6.0 Power Stroke 5 spd AT. For $18,800 Here's the catch though; It has 500 miles on a new engine. Is this just a bad idea all together? It looks like the 2006 transmissions were pretty solid. What should I be looking for... or looking out for? I'm not a diesel junky and am trying to educate myself here. Not sure if I should run away from this truck look for more details. Anyone have opinions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:11 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IMO $18,800 is a real premium price for an 11 year old truck. The new engine is potentially a nice bonus (more on that in a minute), but the rest of the truck still has how ever many miles are on the odometer, which is?

As for the engine, where did it come from? Is it a Ford reman? Jasper? Ashville? Used from God knows where? How much of the original engine's supporting parts did they reuse?

There's a lot to look for when buying one of these trucks, but the first thing you need to think about is do you really need it? Are you going to be towing or hauling heavy weight? Because if you're not I would respectfully advise you to consider buying a similar truck with a gas engine. Diesels are great if you need them, but there's a cost to be paid for that ability. Diesels are more expensive to maintain, and require more frequent maintenance. Parts are more expensive (how does $1,600 for a set of injectors grab you?). The 6.0 is a good engine, but it does have some trouble spots. These can be corrected with the installation of the proper parts, but if the truck needs to be fully bulletproofed consider that you will have another $5,500 you will need to sink into it (assuming you are paying for labor) at a minimum.

A 6.0 purchase is not one to be taken lightly. These engine are complicated and can be troublesome if they were not maintained. I would do considerable research before buying any 6.0 truck because you need to know not just what to look for, but what you may be in for. I don't consider these engines to be the problem a lot of people on the net would have you believe, but I've also owned mine since new, so I know how it was taken care of. When buying used you are always potentially buying someone else's problems.

'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, RCD 175/30 injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.