New owner of a '03 F-250 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New owner of a '03 F-250

Hello guys, this is my first post. I have been reading for a few days and decided to sign up as I have a few questions.

I have seen that a few of the things I should do right away to know where I am at and hopefully adding some reliability is....

1. Change the coolant and add a coolant filter, I have seen that sinister is a common brand for this, is the quality of the kit ok?

2. Upgrade the oil cooler... I have seen a few kits around that look like they are an upgraded replacement for the stock unit. Is it not better to have an external oil cooler up front? Or should I stick with an upgraded OEM location unit?

3. EGR cooler upgrade..... Sinister unit quality ok?

All I can think of right now but I am sure I will think of some more.
FICM replaced
High pressure pump repplaced
Edge Programmer set to stock
That's all i know, I just bought it oct.5/12
Meat man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congrats on your new truck!! Do a lot of reading here..you will learn a lot. To answer a few question (and this is only my personal opinion)
1. Not just change, flush the cooling system completely. Most of the systems are the same, just a bypass system with a cartridge filter. Refill with an ELC coolant with an ec-1 rating. Gold coolant is acceptable of you want to babysit it.

2. There are no known "upgrades" to the internal oil cooler. The BDP kit is nice, just a little excessive for the average truck owner. Keep clean coolant, and the factory oil cooler will perform just fine.

3. There is no need to upgrade the 03/ early 04 cooler....they are robust enough to the point that the oil cooler will usually fail before that cooler. Of course, if dont want the egr system
In there, simply delete it. Plenty of good quality aftermarket options available.

Again these are only opinions based on things that have worked for me.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, I read that the egr delete would throw a code. I would like to delete it however I don't want a code nagging me every time I drive it.
FICM replaced
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Unplugging the EGR will throw a code on an 05 and newer, but on an 03 to 04 it will set a soft code saying it is out of range. This will also effect the fan clutch operation.

My 04 is an early build with an 03 engine I did the delete but left the EGR valve in place and plugged in. No issues due to no EGR cooler and no way to suck exhaust in through an open egr valve and the fan works fine. Mine would puke coolant before the delete but without no issue.
1996 Ford F350 7.3L Dualie 343,000 Tony Wildman custom burn,5 inch stacks, good ole girl(in Avatar)
1995 Ford F250 7.3L Regular Cab 255,000 miles Sled Puller
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

So hauling my horse trailer with 2 horses in it I am around 6000 lbs of trailer weight.

The oil temp got up to 229 F.

Isn't the max normal temp supposed to be no higher than 230F?

I wonder If a hot coolant flush would help the oil cooler any?
FICM replaced

Last edited by Meat man; 11-04-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

So I bought a oem service manual for working on the truck. And I came across the fact that there is an oil screen for the oil cooler. Is it worth removing the oil cooler and cleaning the screen and cooler itself in an attempt to lower the oil temps?
FICM replaced
Old 11-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Does your Edge device have a gauge option and do you use it? The readings you see regarding ECT and EOT will tell you part of what you should know about the health of some of the engine components.

Doing a lot of reading on hear is going to be valuable as there are great many people who have either gone tthrough most of the problems or can give you some grear advice. Good luck.
baddna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Actually I was doing some reading last night on here and read it was actually more important (to a point) about the the delta readings. The edge does have gauges on it. Highest reading were 224 eot and 210 ect and for the majority of the trip was only a 10 degree difference.

Seems like there may not be as big of an issue as I thought there was.
FICM replaced
Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

The Sinister coolant filter is what I run. The kit is very well thought out and high quality. I highly recommend it.

As stated, flush the system and swap to ELC coolant. The factory gold Ford junk can't take the heat of a Diesel and is badly formulated for Diesel use.

You have the good EGR cooler. If you want to delete it you really should get an aftermarket tune to allow normal operation and no codes. Your year you will likely not get a CEL if the EGR valve is still plugged in, but the soft code can cause other issues as noted.

I would stick with the factory oil cooler system. If you are doing an EGR delete anyway I would advise this: do a coolant flush prior to any work, delete the EGR cooler and install a new oil cooler, install coolant filter, and fill system with ELC coolant. This addresses all the possible issues as once. The screen you note is for the HPOP and sits under the oil cooler. The oil cooler kit from Ford will have a new screen. Suction the reservoir dry, clean everything, and install the new screen.

Oil temp should never get to 240 or above. If it does change the oil immediately. Oil begins to break down at that temperature, and you lose lubricity which can kill the engine.

Ford specs a delta of not more than 15 degrees ECT vs. EOT. if you see more than that the oil cooler is shot. On a brand new oil cooler I see a delta around 2-7 degrees most of the time.
'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, Warren Diesel 175cc injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
TKOPerformance is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank-you.... that awnsered alot of my questions....

Isn't the oil cooler just a heat exchanger? Why cant it just be removed, sonically cleaned and re-installed? If its just build-up internally that should take care of it. Mind you I have not inquired on the pricing of a new oil cooler but im sure its more than a cleaning.
FICM replaced
Old 11-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

The oil cooler kit from Tousley is $269.43. Many people have tried to clean them, or to get them to show failure instead of just replacing them when they are suspect. It's impossible to duplicate the dynamic conditions the cooler experiences on a bench. The best bet is just to replace it, especially if the intake is already off for other work.
'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, Warren Diesel 175cc injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
TKOPerformance is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.