No buzz during test - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No buzz during test

I am working on a 05 F350 6.0 that was turned off in my shop drive way and will not start. I am not real familiar with the 6.0 engines. I have run across several FICMs. This guy came by to ask about white smoke in the morning. He said it was getting worse. I went to start it and it wont start. Had a code for cam sensor. I cleared the codes and the cam sensor came back. I installed a new Ford cam sensor and no longer have the code but it still has no start. I have 800 psi oil pressure and 48 volts out of FICM. It cranks over like a flooded gas engine and trys to hit on one or two cylinders. It would not buzz test and codes are clear. I replaced the FICM and reprogrammed it at another shop but still no change. Replaced the fuel filters because customer did not think they were ever changed. The were new but we changed them any way. It has 45 psi fuel pressure. It still wont pass buzz test. I have read the sticky thread and searched the buzz test and have not found the answer. Where do I go next. You dont hear the injectors when you turn key on.
gbickel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds a lot like EGR cooler failure and coolant in the intake and /or exhaust systems. Several threads and a lot of discussion about that here.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Funny you say that. Just walked around the back and there is coolant running out the tail pipe. Why does that cause the injectors not to buzz?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbickel View Post
Replaced the fuel filters because customer did not think they were ever changed. The were new but we changed them any way. It has 45 psi fuel pressure.
You not only have to replace the oil cooler and the egr cooler, you must replace the fuel pressure regulator spring.
45psi is not nearly enough pressure, and left the way it is, injectors will be damaged.
The kit for the newest update for the fuel pressure regulator spring part number and intimate detailed instruction on how to replace it is already right here on this forum. Very well written piece by Band_Member.

The reason you must replace both the oil cooler and EGR cooler is that the oil cooler is plugged on the coolant side of it. That has slowed the coolant flow to the EGR cooler. That overheats the EGR cooler to the point of failure. The coolant could be flowing down the up-pipe on the passenger side of the truck right now, filling the cylinders that have the exhaust valves in the open position, Hydrolocking the engine.

What this all has to do with the buzz test is beyond me. But those issues should be addressed previous to turning that key again. The customers head gaskets may depend on it. They may have already popped.

Last edited by ex mounty; 06-06-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: forgot the link...whoops
ex mounty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

TO this point the engine has not hydrolocked. It turns over fine. Is the coolant keeping the engine from firing? I have had bad egr coolers drive in here smoking like crazy and not keep the engine from starting. Just trying to learn. If coolant was lowered would truck start? I have followed the steps to trouble shoot this and trying to make sense of this is all. Trying to learn something today.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, new egr cooler new oil cooler, new FICM and reprogram. Fresh oil change and fuel filters, along with new Ford fuel filters and new cam sensor.. I have it on two chargers to keep batteries up and it will not start. Acts like a flooded gas engine. The injectors now buzz test and pass. Truck has 78000 miles. During cranking the the FICM has 12 volts and is showing 48 volts. ICP is 1100 cranking with no codes. What am I missing? I have sync .
Old 06-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

After replacing the oil cooler, if you did not dump 0.9 quarts of oil into the HPOP reservoir, (the area under the screen that is under the oil cooler) it may take some extended cranking. The reason is the low pressure oil pump has to fill that before the HPOP gets sufficient oil to fire the injectors.
Don't crank for more than 20 or 30 seconds at a time and give it a few minutes for the starter to cool off between cranks
Old 06-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for your assistance but I dont think that is it. 6 hours of trying to start I am no further than I was.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, it won't take that long. Sorry.

Theres a great no-start checklist you can use to diagnose the problem right HERE.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

I was told how to test for aeration in the fuel and I have it. With the top off the fuel filter while cranking engine I am getting air bubbles in the housing. Pump sounds like it is sucking air. Any common places to look? I did add five gallons of fresh fuel to tank with no help.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Do the "balloon test" to determine which bank that has failed injector seals.
CLICK ME for compression bubble test

CLICK ME for the balloon test
Old 06-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Did the bubble test and it past. I got a dealer tech to stop by and give me e hand. It passes the buzz test on three separate scanners. He could only hear 2 injectors. He plugged in a good injector and it passes. Best he can figure is that it had sticsion (sp) and 6 injectors have failed. He has never seen one do this and he works on them every day. Going to call the customer and give him the bad news in the morning.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ok guys it is fixed. 8 new injectors and she fired right up. It did pass the buzz test on three different scanners. After plugging in a loose injector externally it buzzed. It smoked raw fuel and antifreeze for about 10 miles. It was only hitting on two injectors before repair. Not sure what caused it still. Bad FICM or stiction?
Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Did you put the updated fuel pressure regulator spring in?
In the first post you mention 45PSI for fuel pressure, which is DANGEROUSLY low. That is the minimum fuel pressure, and if you hit the accelerator the fuel pressure will drop, resulting in harming the new injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.