No start! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start!

Ok so I went to the store a couple of weeks ago and truck ran and started just fine. Then when I came out of the store it fired up fine and I was sitting there letting it idle while I tried to find a song on the iPod then the idling sound changed wasn't like a miss or running ruff. So I took off from the parking lot notice it lost power,was sitting at the light and when it changed to green I punched it and again no power got to the driveway and it died. Tried to start it, didn't start. It sat at the driveway for about 4 hours went to start it. It fired right up. Then soon as I put it in drive it was struggling (no power) then died again. Then wouldn't fire up again. So what should I be checking out here?

Thanks in advance!
Aaron

Arp studs
EGR delete
Blue spring
CTS monitor
SCT tune by Matt
ELC and external filter
S&B air
6.4 banjo bolts
4" mbrp exhaust
Oil cooler replacement
04redstroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

What year model?

Any way to read codes?
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's an 04 and no codes.

Arp studs
EGR delete
Blue spring
CTS monitor
SCT tune by Matt
ELC and external filter
S&B air
6.4 banjo bolts
4" mbrp exhaust
Oil cooler replacement
Old 10-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

To do much troubleshooting you will need a way to watch the ICP (pressure in the HPO system), the ICP desired, IPR % duty cycle, FICM sync, cam/crank sync, FICM volts.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 10-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd check FICM voltage first. Check cold while KOEO, cranking, running, and high idle. If that checks I'd get it to run and drive, then re-check at operating temperature. If that checks out it 90% rules out the FICM. Then I'd say your issue is most likely an HPO leak, which gets worse when the engine's warm as things expand. The IPR read can help diagnose if that's the issue, but you need the right tools to do it, so it may require a trip to a shop. You can also air test the HPO system with the right tools. ICP is another possibility; you can unplug it and see if the truck will start, that's sort of a backwoods way to test it, but effective nonetheless. The issue is that on an '04 it's under the turbo, so hard to get to, which is why reading its duty cycle is a good way to test without having to take anything apart.
'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, Warren Diesel 175cc injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
TKOPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

My '06 is doing some thing very similar. You can read about it in the post labeled "head gasket and injectors". I am getting the truck back today and starting with the FICM and moving from there. Good luck and I will keep you posted on what I find works for me.

Link to post: Head gasket and injectors?
clevenc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

That sounds good. I'm just waiting for my season to be over so I can take my time when I start working on it. I'm not to happy right now there is this red squirrel putting butternuts all over the engine compartment and wheel wells. I been trying to kill the little sob! But no luck.

Arp studs
EGR delete
Blue spring
CTS monitor
SCT tune by Matt
ELC and external filter
S&B air
6.4 banjo bolts
4" mbrp exhaust
Oil cooler replacement
Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

well finally started on the truck. When I started it I finally got a code P2290. Also the CTS noted that the volts for the ICP .4 KOEO and running it just went form .2 to no higher then 1.8. Wouldn't run smooth falls below 500 RPM then put it in drive dies. Also the ABS light stays on I dont think that has anything todo with the problem. But anyway thats the update.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

have you tried unplugging the ICP and seeing if it started OK?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
have you tried unplugging the ICP and seeing if it started OK?
No I havent yet. I have an early 04 so its waaay in the back under the turbo all that fun stuff. Hehe
Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ok I in plugged the icp sensor it did a long crank but it did start. I let it idle while I put some tools a way. It ran smooth not rough at all I hopped in and push the accelerator down till about 2000rpm then slowly brought back to idle. Put it in reverse went down the driveway and came back up. Then I just reved it up and then let it fall back to idle then it just died. Then tried to start again now just a long crank. Wants to start but won't. So that's where I'm at now.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Arp studs
EGR delete
Blue spring
CTS monitor
SCT tune by Matt
ELC and external filter
S&B air
6.4 banjo bolts
4" mbrp exhaust
Oil cooler replacement
Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Oops I meant unplugged the icp

Arp studs
EGR delete
Blue spring
CTS monitor
SCT tune by Matt
ELC and external filter
S&B air
6.4 banjo bolts
4" mbrp exhaust
Oil cooler replacement
Old 10-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

That means you have a small HP oil system leak somewhere and ya need to do the air test procedure to find out where. Either that or your low pressure pump is not putting out enough volume to keep the HPOP supplied with enough oil.

To be shure you need to have it scanned on live data to see if anything else may be dropping out as well. Fo example loss of sync FICM or PCM.
dannyboy950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
That means you have a small HP oil system leak somewhere and ya need to do the air test procedure to find out where. Either that or your low pressure pump is not putting out enough volume to keep the HPOP supplied with enough oil.

To be shure you need to have it scanned on live data to see if anything else may be dropping out as well. Fo example loss of sync FICM or PCM.
Thanks for the info dannyboy!
Well I did order up an Auto Enginuity so hopfully that will help me out.
other wise is there a write up on how todo the air test?

Looks like I'll be seeing the boys at tousley ford a lot this winter!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

With it being an early '04, the P2290 code, and unplugging the ICP not helping, I'd lean towards it being a bad HPOP. The '03 and early '04 engines don't have the STC, dummy plugs and stand pipes that are prone to leak. But the HPOP's are a known weakness.

Before completely condemning it, I'd take a look at your ICP and IPR while cranking. You need ~0.80volts (500psig) to fire the injectors. If the IPR duty cycle goes really high (like 85%), that means it's completely closed and still not building pressure.

You should also check the other variables Bismic mentions in his post as well. The pumps are rather expensive and you want to eliminate the other "easy" stuff before calling it bad.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.