No start Battery Voltages - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start Battery Voltages

Well I've been chasing my cranking no start issue since Saturday. I had Ed repair the FICM the week before and all ran well from Wednesday until Saturday. It was washed and would not start and is still siiting in the driveway. I replaced the cam position sensor on Monday morning thinking that was my problem but still not starting.

If you remember from my previous post over the last few weeks, I have been working on R&R the egr cooler oil cooler. etc.... and had the batteries out of the truck. The batteries are Bosch 1000/850 amp 96 month batteries. They are now 49 months old. I charged them once or twice while out of the truck. They were load tested individually out of the truck 2 weeks ago at AZ and were said to be OK but needed a litle charge.

Now to tonight; I picked up another loan-a-scanner from AZ as the last one was not working. This time I got a P2285 code which is a ICP sensor code. This was from my unplugging the sensor to see if that made a difference to make it start. Still only cranking no starting. I've checked the voltage on my FICM and it shows 48-50 KOEO and 48-49 cranking. The wiring harness to the FICM is intact and tight to the FICM.

I cleared the P2285 code with the scan tool then tried cranking the engine. No code reappeared so i believe the code was from when I had unplugged the sensor earlier. There was no oil residue on the ICP sensor harness when I unplugged it earlier.

Upon reviewing the data on the scan tool, I noticed that the VPWR voltage when cranking the enginge dropped to about 8 volts and at best was only showing about 11.3-11.9 volts when not cranking and not trying to crank for a while. The scan tool is registering engine RPMS at about 250 when cranking. The batteries were fully charged this afternoon but after about 6 attempts at cranking the engine for about 10 seconds or less each time, the batteries will not sustain a crank over about 3 secs and the lights flicker off and the scantool goes blank on the screen.

I believe that the individual battery load test at AZ lied to me and the batteries are actually failing under load as evidenced by the low voltage during cranking.

What do you guys think?

AIRAID 4" straight No CAT No MUFF
Nitto Terra Grapplers All Terrain LT285/75R16 10 PR Everything else pretty much stock
NEW Ranchos installed 8/15/2010

WORK IN PROGRESS - R&R EGR COOLER, OIL COOLER, THERMOSTAT, TURBO BOLTS, GASKETS, ORINGS, and adding a COOLANT FILTER WITH NEW COOLANT AND FLUSH
Anyone Got Birds? Will Travel to Hunt!

We are all just Village Idiots,
Enamoured with our own shadow,
Oblivious to the setting sun!
Iam4MSU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds like it is time to check out that warranty on the batteries
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Bosch will not warranty the batteries and the man I bought the truck from was the one who bought the batteries and the warranty was only good for him. It did not transfer to me. I just got back in from work tonight and have the batteries on charge. I am going to clean all the cables and post once again to see if I am having connection problems.

Checked on batteries tody and found these prices:

Motorcraft 850/1000 Maxx 36/100 month $120
Autocraft Orielly's 850/1000 36/84 month $100
Autozone 850/1000 36/84 $132

What would you say about these batteries?

Nitto Terra Grapplers All Terrain LT285/75R16 10 PR Everything else pretty much stock

WORK IN PROGRESS - R&R EGR COOLER, OIL COOLER, THERMOSTAT, TURBO BOLTS, GASKETS, ORINGS, and adding a COOLANT FILTER WITH NEW COOLANT AND FLUSH

Last edited by Iam4MSU; 11-30-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I installed the Motorcraft 850 last year so far so good. Batteries in these trucks will last about 4-5 years max not like the old days when you could get 10 years out of them. Need to do something so you don't kill the FICM.
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

ditch the 4 year old batteries, they may not be the root of your problems but it's a good place to start. My batteries are on the edge of going bad and they are less than 2 years old.
82,000 miles, performance machine coolant filter, 2008 trans. pan and filter, coolant flushed and rotella ELC. Blue spring mod. Edge Insight CTS with expandable pyro. FICM repair and ATLAS 40 tune by ficmerpair.com Amsoil by-pass oil filter. ARP Studs, ford HG's, EGR delete, new ford oil cooler. Hauling 27 foot RV.

(Sorry to see her go Sold 9/2012) 1992 F-250 Supercab longbed 4x4, NA, manual trans. 382,000 miles. new alternator, starter, batteries, beru glow plugs and new controller, new injectors and fuel lines, LUK solid mass flywheel(12"), Warn manual hubs, Completely new AC system(new comprssor, evaporator, dryer, condensor, all hoses r-134), new front rear wheel bearings, new 3" exhaust, new power steering pump, new IP, new vacuum pump x2
NCFORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

As stated in the other thread - batteries at 8V - 8.5V will cause a no start. It isn't just all about rpm and FICM voltage.

Replace the batteries.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Tried 2 new MC batteries today. No difference. My problem is no fuel pressure due to nicked black sleeve in the FPR when doing the blue spring update mod. Anyone got one of the little black sleeves that was in your blue spring mod kit that you didnt need in your mod?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.