The Diesel Stop banner

No throttle in reverse

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mark Kovalsky 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the right spot for this post.. computer savvy daughter posting for father. My father has a 2007 Ford F-350 Super duty. He was driving home (45mph) when the truck stopped. He pulled off to the side of the road and attempted to start. Truck won't move but has throttle response in drive and neutral. No throttle response in reverse and flashing tow hitch light. Has truck at mechanic but having trouble identifying the problem. I might add.. I have fixed my own car through similar forum... so responses with details are welcomed. Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
Can you retrieve the codes (DTC's) and post?

#6 ·
There are codes. The only way the light can flash is when codes are stored. The place you took it doesn't have the right tools. Without the right tools they will NOT be able to fix this. All they can do is throw parts at it until they get lucky or you run out of money. Get it to someone that knows how to fix it.

If the PCM doesn't see the reverse engagement complete, it will disable the accelerator pedal. For some reason the reverse engagement isn't completing. If I had the codes I could give you a pretty good idea of where the problem lies. Without codes all I can tell you is that SOMETHING is wrong with reverse.

#4 ·
If the tow haul light was flashing, I'm pretty sure there were codes. I'm guessing the mechanic does not have a scan tool capable of reading all of the Ford proprietary codes from the truck. IF I'm correct, that may be the wrong mechanic to have looking at the truck. IF (I don't want to make assumptions) he doesn't have the correct scan tool, chances are he doesn't have much experience with these trucks... and these trucks need someone that knows their way around them. Many people have spent a lot of time and money at the wrong shop with these trucks.

Hopefully Mark or someone that knows 100% for sure will chime in here and confirm that if the tow/haul was flashing, there HAD to have been stored codes to read.

#5 ·
Phil is right.

There is code stored in the pcm. Just need the right scan tool to retrieve it. So the truck is running but doesn't move. Throttle response (rev up but don't move) in all gear but nothing in reverse....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.