The Diesel Stop banner

Normal op ranges

848 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gordb 
#1 ·
Just bought an 05' F250 with 197,000 miles on stock engine. I know nothing about diesels, bought this to pull heavy travel trailer. Truck ran great, until I took it to Ford for oil change. Next morning it started to run poorly when it was cold- high RPM's wouldn't shift etc. Once it warmed up, ran great again. I bought an Edge CS and got it hooked up. The FICM is running at 47-48. But I did notice that when the truck warms up my ECT range is 180-182* in correlation the EOT is running 190-196* it averages an 11-16* difference. I live in the mountains so on way up mountain (about 9 mile stretch) the EOT increases to around 200* and the ECT runs about 215-218* so 15-18* difference. I read on here that 5-15* is normal...so what should I be concerned about? I'm going to add Rev-x tomorrow to both the oil and fuel, see if that helps with the cold running issues. With the EOT running 180-182* I'm thinking a new thermostat is in order seeing 190-200 is the normal range. I appreciate any help

#3 ·
I thought the factory ones were 190 degrees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.