obd2 port - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
obd2 port

so I recently purchased a 04 6.0 litre. Im having trouble connecting a scan tool to the port. checked the fuse and it is good. ciggarete lighter does not work either. I was tracing the wires to the port and one of the wires(white and blue stripe) is cut off. Is that normal? Im not great with wiring so any help would be great.
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I couldn't find anything with a white/blue wire, but I recently blew the fuse that powers the OBD-II and cigar lighter and replaced the wrong fuse. After a lot of tracing, I discovered my error and all was well.

Check the fuses above and below the one you think is the correct one. It's easy to miss count when you are standing on your head and trying to see what is in the fuse block. It does look like there is a blank between the top 2 fuses, but there is not. My owners manual shows it is fuse 2-12, #3 in the second column of fuses.
2004 SunnyBrook Solanta 28' TT small slide 7800#

35 Years in the trenches!
Retired Machinist & Manufacturing Engineer for fuel control systems for very large Diesel Engines. Locomotives to Super Tankers.

Designed and trouble shot manufacturing processes for stuff from Design Engineers. Sometimes had to wrestle for design changes.
Designed and built tools and equipment to machine, assemble, disassemble, repair and test.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
"Nothing is FOOLPROOF because fools are too ingenious"-Mark Twain
johnmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll have a look today. I dont actually have an owners manual so im just going off info I find online. I really hope I am looking at the wrong fuse!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another thing with these little fuses is that they can look okay but be burnt at the ends, meaning the very top corners under the writing making it hard to tell. I use an OHM meter to verify good/bad.

What kind of scan tool are you trying to connect. The generic code reader from the A/P store will not really get you anything. I have an Innova 3140 and when my friend was thinking of purchasing a used PSD ('04 I think) he brought it over and I wasn't able to retrieve very much useful information. VERY LIMITED live data..I was trying to check EOT/ECT deltas.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

So I was just looking at the wrong fuse. Can't trust all info you find online I guess.

I'm hooking up my android phone and it seems to work good. The real time info seemed accurate. Showed one code, for my transmission temp sensor.

Could this scanner pick up some codes but not others (like injector codes? ) or would it pick up everything or nothing at all?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not sure what kind of scan tool you are trying to connect. Whatever you use needs to be capable of reading Ford Enhanced PID's if you want to get to the good stuff.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

It is the torque app for the android phone. Not sure if it can read those or not. Ill have to look into it.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.