Oil Additive - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Additive

I have an 04 f250 and I have been told that I need to be adding an additive when I change my oil. Any suggestions on what brand?
bneel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

No adative required. Just make sure you are running a good 15W40 CJ certified diesel oil. Rotella is one of the better known brands by the shell corporation.
gtstang462002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

You shouldn't need an additive if your regular maintenance has been done. Having said that I ran a cycle of Rev-x through mine when I first bought it to help fight the stiction issue I was having. That coupled with the change to a full synthetic oil helped some but the previous owners botched job of maintaining the rig caught up to it. My advice is run Rotella T6 5W-40 full synthetic oil and Rev-x. This is what I'll be running starting with the next oil change which is about 110 miles from now. The Rev-x may not be needed but the extra few bucks every 5000 miles gives me some peace of mind.

Just my .02$
Stolen and I've never been happier to file a police report-05 F350, 6.0, K&N intake, Magna Flow 4", Edge Insight CTS, Sinister bypass coolant/oil filter system, Sinister EGR cooler delete w/up pipe, Sinister oil cooler replacement.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Stop Changing Your Oil! - Edmunds.com
This is an interesting read regarding when and how often to change your oil.
2005 Bobcat T300
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post
My advice is run Rotella T6 5W-40 full synthetic oil
Good advice. Take a pass on the 15W 40 and use a good 5W40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstang462002 View Post
Stop Changing Your Oil! - Edmunds.com
This is an interesting read regarding when and how often to change your oil.
Might work good for a gasser, but the HEUI injection system on our engines destroys the viscosity of engine oil.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Also - 15W40 is too thick once the temps drop below 20-30 degrees. Causes issues w/ injectors.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmac View Post
Might work good for a gasser, but the HEUI injection system on our engines destroys the viscosity of engine oil.
Unless you get your oil analyzed by a lab and come up with these results time and time again you are making this up(or you fall into the "severe driving" category).

If you are someone who races from stop light to stop light, you might have broken down your oil at 5K miles. If you live in arctic conditions then you would need the 5W40 oil. Otherwise FOLLOW YOUR OWNERS MANUAL for scheduled maintenance. I see these guy running "their own schedule" and they are the same ones that come in with blown head gaskets, turbos with wiped bearings, injector sticking issues and EGR's coked up with soot.

SIDENOTE: Not everyone's driving habits fit into the severe driving category.
2005 Bobcat T300
Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Also - 15W40 is too thick once the temps drop below 20-30 degrees. Causes issues w/ injectors.
More bad information... 15W40 is good down to 5 degrees
2005 Bobcat T300
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
On paper yes, in the real world no! 5w40 synthetic is a much easier start on the injectors, starter and batteries (and intimately the FICM because the batteries wear out faster). Repeated cold start wear over time has proven to cause problems with the injectors of these trucks.

While I don't have a study to prove this, all you have to do is listen to a low temp cold start of these trucks with the two different oils in them to tell the difference. Experience gained over time shows that the 5w40 helps with injector life. It may be anecdotal evidence, but the consistence and number of the reports tends to prove the theory.

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator replacement, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors and replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting replaced 10/19/14.
Ford06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford06 View Post
While I don't have a study to prove this, all you have to do is listen to a low temp cold start of these trucks with the two different oils in them to tell the difference. Experience gained over time shows that the 5w40 helps with injector life. It may be anecdotal evidence, but the consistence and number of the reports tends to prove the theory.
Have you ever heard of the placebo effect? I run 15W40 in my wifes '05 and my brother in law runs 5W40 in his '03. Side by side overnight on a 35 degree night with no block heaters plugged in they sounded the same on initial startup. Both trucks are in the 180-190K mile range and 100% stock as far as engine tuning is concerned. Most people want to believe that if they spend more on the oil they are getting something of value out of it.
2005 Bobcat T300
Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

In Defense of Bismic and Dieselmac

I have learned a lot over the years visiting this web site. A great deal of that information has been dispensed by Bismic and Dieselmac (Also, Ford Doctor- who was not mentioned in this thread).

I don't usually respond to threads- I just read and learn, but I felt compelled, due to the negative replies in this thread by another member.

To: Dieselmac and Bismic: I appreciate the time you spend responding to threads. You saved my truck multiple times. I'm sure I speak for other members also.
Ivars1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivars1 View Post
I have learned a lot over the years visiting this web site. A great deal of that information has been dispensed by Bismic and Dieselmac (Also, Ford Doctor- who was not mentioned in this thread).

I don't usually respond to threads- I just read and learn, but I felt compelled, due to the negative replies in this thread by another member.

To: Dieselmac and Bismic: I appreciate the time you spend responding to threads. You saved my truck multiple times. I'm sure I speak for other members also.
I can only assume that you are referring to my comments, though I do not see how they are in any way shape or form negative. There is a lot of good information and personal experiences to be had on this site as well. The biggest problem with web forums is that they typically only attract people that have problems with whatever that forum is focused on. Here is happens to be Ford trucks. Once they get the answer that they are looking for they move on till the next problem arises and they are back b@#$%^&* again. I will say it again, almost all problems with this motor are self inflicted from people not following the proper maintenance schedule for their vehicle.

The bottom line though is the information that can be had here on this forum or any other forum is that the information is worth what you pay for it.
2005 Bobcat T300
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Have you ever heard of the placebo effect? I run 15W40 in my wifes '05 and my brother in law runs 5W40 in his '03. Side by side overnight on a 35 degree night with no block heaters plugged in they sounded the same on initial startup. Both trucks are in the 180-190K mile range and 100% stock as far as engine tuning is concerned. Most people want to believe that if they spend more on the oil they are getting something of value out of it.
In my mind 35 degrees would not be a good "test". Try it at 20 degrees or colder and the difference is noticeable. My truck will run rough and is noisy at those temps with 15w40 but with 5w40 it runs okay and is not noisy at all. I am trying 10w30 this winter and so far it is performing in between the other two oils. I don't plug the truck in unless it drops below zero.
And to the OP, I don't use any additive in the oil. Just regular oil/filter changes.
'06 F350 Lariat SRW X-cab,4X4,Torqshift 5-speed Auto,w/23000lb GCVWR and many other options, Vandal Alert Cyclops, Pressure Pro TPMS, Extang Tuff TonnoIII, Duraflap mud flaps and Roadwing mud flap system, towing a Hitchhiker 33' Discover America 5'er and a Lund boat. Stock and doing fine. Coolant filter, Fuel regulator upgrade.

Last edited by bobsherrie; 01-10-2013 at 10:57 AM.
bobsherrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Unless you get your oil analyzed by a lab and come up with these results time and time again you are making this up(or you fall into the "severe driving" category).

If you are someone who races from stop light to stop light, you might have broken down your oil at 5K miles. If you live in arctic conditions then you would need the 5W40 oil. Otherwise FOLLOW YOUR OWNERS MANUAL for scheduled maintenance. I see these guy running "their own schedule" and they are the same ones that come in with blown head gaskets, turbos with wiped bearings, injector sticking issues and EGR's coked up with soot.

SIDENOTE: Not everyone's driving habits fit into the severe driving category.
I'm not making anything up. If you understand how a HEUI injector works, then it's not too much of a leap to comprehend the viscosity breakdown phenomenon.

Yes, I am a severe service driver. As are most who use the truck as it was intended. And yes, I've had an unbelievable amount of oil analysis' performed and have no doubt about the relationship between viscosity and the OCI (among other things). That's why I am a strong opponent of extended OCI's.

FORD HAS RECOMMENDED 5W40 at -20*F to 100*F, IIRC, for these engines for a long time. But I'm sure you knew that.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
While 15W40 may be "good" (whatever "good" means) to 5*, you can not refute the fact that, below 30ish, 15w40 causes or exacerbates problems with the injectors.

BTW, the OWNERS MANUAL will even lead you to that conclusion. But you knew that, I'm sure.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.