Oil Additive - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstang462002 View Post
More bad information... 15W40 is good down to 5 degrees
Backing up your statements w/ Ford literature is always a good thing - for all of us!!!

So - Even Ford says it is only good to 20 degrees.

BTW - here are two Ford references:
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...f/oilchart.pdf

On the last page, look at the heading for the table that includes the 6.0L. It states: "Recommend Motorcraft SAE 15W40 CJ4 above 20 *F / -7*C".

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...are/index.html

In the link above: Click on "6.0L Diesel Care"
Go to the end of the video
Click on "Diesel oil and filter"
The reference chart is about 1/3 of the way through, it looks like this:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/me...oil-chart.html
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 01-12-2013 at 07:23 AM.
bismic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmac View Post
While 15W40 may be "good" (whatever "good" means) to 5*, you can not refute the fact that, below 30ish, 15w40 causes or exacerbates problems with the injectors.

BTW, the OWNERS MANUAL will even lead you to that conclusion. But you knew that, I'm sure.
LOL -

I agree Scott - the previous statements were a little on the inflamatory side ........... (and wrong)

BTW (as you stated Scott) - there are a lot of sources that state the HPOP will shear the oil over time. It is the fluid flow through the tight tolerances that are typical on high pressure oil systems (including the pumps), that will result in shearing modern oils. here is one source:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilshear.htm
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 01-10-2013 at 08:44 PM.
bismic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
...The reference chart is about 1/3 of the way through, it looks like this:

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - bismic's Album: Miscellaneous - Picture
This reference chart is also available in the Maintenance and Specifications section of most Owner's Manuals or Diesel Supplement documents. I found one in the 2006 F-250 6.0L Diesel Supplement's 3rd printing, page 38.

Keep in mind you can download free copies of these kinds of documents here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...OwnerGuidePage

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Don't forget the low temps the oil sees running through the turbo. Even gassers recommend shorter OCI's when turbo equipped.
ciuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstang462002 View Post
I can only assume that you are referring to my comments, though I do not see how they are in any way shape or form negative. There is a lot of good information and personal experiences to be had on this site as well. The biggest problem with web forums is that they typically only attract people that have problems with whatever that forum is focused on. Here is happens to be Ford trucks. Once they get the answer that they are looking for they move on till the next problem arises and they are back b@#$%^&* again. I will say it again, almost all problems with this motor are self inflicted from people not following the proper maintenance schedule for their vehicle.

The bottom line though is the information that can be had here on this forum or any other forum is that the information is worth what you pay for it.

The problem with running Dino in a HEUI injection system is oil shear. HEUI oil pressure will shear plain oil like no other. Ater running T6 full synthetic, it starts easier and the oil viscosity after 5k is almost as good as new compared to UOA with dino

Soon to come: SCT TSX, 4 inch TBE, EGR delete, gaskets and studs
Killdmycobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Oil Additive

I can't really tell who's winning the argument, but I have run my truck in many different climates as I travel alot those range from -10 to 110. It's always noisy when it's cold, at least I couldn't tell a difference. I ran motorcraft 15w-40 after purchasing my truck and changed it every 3k, after about a year I switched to T6 @ 5k no additive, I've been running it for two years and have replaced less injectors than I had to with the motorcraft. I personally "believe" the thinner oil is keeping my injectors happy. The best thing to do would be to spend the extra $2.00 per gal. and try it out for yourself then maybe decide if you want to add any kind of additive.
Radiator, thermostat, heater valve, degas cap, EGR cooler; now deleted, Head gaskets, oil cooler, STC, stand pipes, dummy plugs, Upfitter switch, high idle mod. Motorcraft max batteries, Harley Davidson windshield x's 2, Scangauge II
RECON Big Rig Ice running board lights, interior LED light conversion, smoke LED tail lights, third brake light, mirror lights, fire & ice tailgate strip. ARP studs, Garrett powermax turbo, Metal CAC tube w/cool it thermo tec aluminized coating, Turbo oil supply and drain, Blue spring, Fuel/water separator drain plug, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/65R20 & Gatorback belt, Drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramic pads. IPR Generation 2 EGR & up pipe delete. IPR High flow coolant filtration system. JVC KW-NT700, Fumoto oil drain, block drain x's 2, Viper 5904 remote start & security, Rotella ELC conversion, CAT delete, tailgate assist, MBRP 5" turbo back SS, Atlas 40.
05_HARLEY_F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.