oil cooler getting clogged? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil cooler getting clogged?

Just got my scan gauge 2 and went for a ride. My oet and ect are around 5 to 6 degrees in difference. Does it look like im in for a new oil cooler soon? i also still have to flush the gold coolant. When I do do the flush and put in the elc could this lower the degrees difference?
htown guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Those numbers are fine, 10*-15* is usually considered the max for the split. When you flush your coolant system however it may stir up extra junk and end up clogging your cooler.

ScanGaugeII, Sneaky Up-pipe, EGR unplugged, CAT and Muffler delete, Warren Diesel Injectors, Pillar Pod W/Autometer sport comp Boost/Trans/Pyro
turbodiesel94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Your deltas are fine get a coolant filter on ASAP to start filtering the system to remove the casting sand 1/2 of the problem with oil coolers get 5-7000 miles on it then do a coolant flush http://www.dieselsite.com/2003-20076...waterpump.aspx as stated an oil cooler can always get plugged by a flush but if you remove the casting sand the chances go down.
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to 07PstroKe
Your numbers look good. I dont think new coolant would necessarily change your temps, enough to notice anyways. But like TD said, monitor your temps closely after your do your flush. Usually if something was going to clog up it would do so in the first couple of weeks.

Your numbers looks good for now, keep us posted after your flush. Make sure you check and top off your degas bottle for a few weeks after the flush as well.

Get yourself a coolant filter too. Cheap and will save you a lot of $$$$ in the long run. I have the sinister kit from XDP, looks good and comes with ball valves.
Edge Juice
Stacked 7" straight cut
Pioneer D2 Nav
Sinister Coolant Filtration
Amsoil oil bypass
Blue spring "update"
BD Power hose/clamp kit
CFM+ Intake
6.4 Banjo bolt upgrade

LMelilloiv@gmail.com

Last edited by 07PstroKe; 12-05-2011 at 09:59 PM.
07PstroKe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
The recommendations I've been reading would suggest you should do a water-only flush and switch to ELC, your cooler is good and they're worried about clogging it.

If you did clog it, you could try the backflush routine to recover it. It seems that you would be a good candidate for this to work if your flush is what caused your clog, since it hasn't sat there and cooked in for miles and years.

I started with a high delta 45 so I had nothing to lose by trying the backflush, and I got the delta down to 15. And I'm pretty sure mine HAD been that way for a long time. So if your truck was mine I'd do the chemical flushes and backflush and see what that did, but I'm wary of suggesting it for you. I'd at least suggest you read the threads about it, search for JFirstFord.

I worry about the guys who just flush out the Ford coolant with water. They are still going to have the crap in there, that they were afraid of getting in their oil cooler, and I think it's just going to happen over time anyway and they're still going to get clogged oil coolers even with the ELC. I say go ahead and get it clean, and if it clogs the cooler, change it. Now you have a clean system and coolant that won't make it worse, add a filter, you should not have a clogging oil cooler problem any longer.
2005 F-250 XLT SuperCab long bed 128k. Torque Pro. 3X Fumoto's. Dieselsite filter. BPD EGR cooler. Blue Spring. Rotella ELC. Rotella T6. Archoil 9100. Improved HFCM plug. Power Service every tank. 24" wipers. PIE. AutoEnginuity.

Last edited by Idahoser; 12-06-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Idahoser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

i got my scangauge2 several weeks back, installed it and took it for a drive. noticed that my ect was too low so installed a thermostat this weekend and after driving a while, my deltas were about a 10-12* difference. i installed a sinister coolant filtration 1k ago and have about 35k on my gold coolant. its about time to flush and switch to elc. what do you recommend doing. i would like a better delta than that so i dnt think water will unclog it. should i do the restore and restore+ flush?
05 f250 6.0 xlt ext. cab long box Fx4, 130k auto, 3.73's, stainless along bottom, 105 gallon L-shaped fuel tank, 8'6" Boss poly v-plow, 2 cracked y pipes, replaced egr valve, replaced ficm, 2 new napa batteries, new ford 140amp alternator, blue spring upgrade, scanguage II, sinister cooant filtration system, drivers side ball joints at 130k, retired juice w/ attitude on the shelf

**to do list**
egr delete, programmer, egt and fp gauge, coolant flush with elc, 5" turbo back

99 f250 5.4 xlt reg cab long box 4x4 5pd manual, 125K, 4.10s, L-shaped fuel tank, shot one plug

11 f150 King ranch 4x4 3.53s, CC 5.0 6sp, 2 tone white/tan, everything but tailgate step
Joe_r_dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_r_dog View Post
i got my scangauge2 several weeks back, installed it and took it for a drive. noticed that my ect was too low so installed a thermostat this weekend and after driving a while, my deltas were about a 10-12* difference. i installed a sinister coolant filtration 1k ago and have about 35k on my gold coolant. its about time to flush and switch to elc. what do you recommend doing. i would like a better delta than that so i dnt think water will unclog it. should i do the restore and restore+ flush?
Yes its time for a flush. But i would just use distilled water because there's a good chance the restore will plug it up. I've had the same delta's as you for over the last 2 years and they havnt gotten worse, i only flush with distilled water. If or when my delta's get worse only then with i do a complete flush before i replace my oil cooler. But who knows you might get lucky with a complete flush and they might get better...its a risk you must be willing to take
Oxford white, scangauge 2, 3" lift, egr delete, stc upgrade, dieselsite coolant filter, high idle mod, skyjacker s/s,deezee nerf bars and drybox, 305/65-18 BFG all terrains, Hella driving lights and fog lights.
sarnott140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (64)
Restore will break down any gelling of the coolant. Restore + is where you maybe asking for problems since from what I understand it will break away rust particles from inside the engine block cooling system and thus possibly clog your oil cooler.

I flushed my system at 67K and used 3/4 gallon Restore and a total of 36 gallons of distilled water. Everything is fine. I have a nominal 6 - 8 delta.

Get the coolant filter on ASAP. You'll also remove a lot of casting sand during the flush process. Especially if you remove the lower radiator hose. At least I did.

Good luck.
Eng Bld: 02/03/05 Indianapolis
2825 Hrs +/-, 101K Miles - No Major Probs other than brakes
DC Power 185 Alternator
ZOODAD, SEIC,
Atlas 40 FICM @ 90K
4" Banks Turbo-Back Duals
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315 - 70R17 Duratrac's
Centramatics
Bodiak Front Receiver
SG2
Coolant Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W Oil added 1oz/Gallon Fuel
Band_Member is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

ABSOLUTELY! Band Member is spot on. If you don't have a temperature problem, don't create one by breaking all that crap loose that is happily affixed to the walls of the cooling system. Use the Restore to remove/break down any silicate gel and do a distilled water flush.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

so, does anybody have a procedure on how to backflush? so is 10-12* bad? if i can unclog it some, i wont do the restore+, just restore. if it doesnt change the delta, i might backflush it, if somebody can inform about how to..
thanks
05 f250 6.0 xlt ext. cab long box Fx4, 130k auto, 3.73's, stainless along bottom, 105 gallon L-shaped fuel tank, 8'6" Boss poly v-plow, 2 cracked y pipes, replaced egr valve, replaced ficm, 2 new napa batteries, new ford 140amp alternator, blue spring upgrade, scanguage II, sinister cooant filtration system, drivers side ball joints at 130k, retired juice w/ attitude on the shelf

**to do list**
egr delete, programmer, egt and fp gauge, coolant flush with elc, 5" turbo back

99 f250 5.4 xlt reg cab long box 4x4 5pd manual, 125K, 4.10s, L-shaped fuel tank, shot one plug

11 f150 King ranch 4x4 3.53s, CC 5.0 6sp, 2 tone white/tan, everything but tailgate step
Joe_r_dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown guy View Post
Just got my scan gauge 2 and went for a ride. My oet and ect are around 5 to 6 degrees in difference. Does it look like im in for a new oil cooler soon? i also still have to flush the gold coolant. When I do do the flush and put in the elc could this lower the degrees difference?
When I read posts like this and there is no explanation about how the test was done, I am always leery of giving my opinion on whether your cooler is ok or not. What were the circumstances during which you monitored the EOT/ECT delta? The EOT needs to be at least 195 degrees for the test to be valid. Secondly, driving down a typical road at typical speeds is not the way to test it. That will tell you nothing useful (unless the delta is bad under those circumstances). You need to put it under a load, such as a WOT run or with a trailer behind it.

IF you tested correctly and your delta is 5-6 degrees, your cooler is doing just fine.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.