oil cooler gone ary - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil cooler gone ary

I have an 05 F-350 with 104k on her. I had it for less than one day from the dealership and while I was pulling my trailer (only 2500lbs) the thing completely lost power. The symptoms were; turbo wouldn't spool, black smoke shooting from the tailpipe, and extremely harsh rev when trying to produce any power.

I am curious what you folks think the problem might be? I was thinking it could be the oil cooler, but am not 100% sure. I have it in the dealership, but I want a couple of opinions so when they call me with the diagnosis I can be ready to fire some questions at them. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by capnsac; 08-02-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
capnsac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

no one has any idea?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bockhold
I wouldnt think it would be the oil cooler. If the oil cooler was bad, then you would have oil in the coolant. If it puttin black smoke out and no turbo spool, I would think injectors or turbo.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bockhold View Post
I wouldnt think it would be the oil cooler. If the oil cooler was bad, then you would have oil in the coolant. If it puttin black smoke out and no turbo spool, I would think injectors or turbo.
I have no idea how any of this works so I am trying to take it all in. What symptoms would a failed oil cooler bring besides oil in the coolant?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Coolant could also get into the oil system and leave a milky slime in places like the valve covers. The oil in the cooling system will swell up any rubber in it. I’m currently going through a water pump issue (its leaking in two places and coolant disappears) and I have oil in my cooling system. Ford told me to flush out the system with liquid cascade and rinse like 3 times to remove the cascade and any junk out of it. Then get the radiator check out and repaired. After that replace all hoses and then put the new water pump on.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bockhold View Post
Coolant could also get into the oil system and leave a milky slime in places like the valve covers. The oil in the cooling system will swell up any rubber in it. Iím currently going through a water pump issue (its leaking in two places and coolant disappears) and I have oil in my cooling system. Ford told me to flush out the system with liquid cascade and rinse like 3 times to remove the cascade and any junk out of it. Then get the radiator check out and repaired. After that replace all hoses and then put the new water pump on.
Jeez, sounds like you have your work cut out for ya. Sorry that happened. Hope all works out for you though.

I am just curious if an oil coolant would be the cause of the problem I had? Would it be an indirect problem that would have a domino affect on the system?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnsac View Post

I am just curious if an oil coolant would be the cause of the problem I had? Would it be an indirect problem that would have a domino affect on the system?
It might but I doubt you have an oil cooler prob. For what I'm going through right now was the result of the engine overheated from the previous owner . I just finished doing a head gasket and replaced one of the engine heads that was cracked. Put 400mi on it after being put back together and found it was drinking coolant. Took it to ford on wed and they said the wp should be the reason why. Oh I’m doing most of the work by my self to save some $$$$.

Last edited by bockhold; 08-03-2008 at 02:14 AM.
bockhold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnsac View Post
I have an 05 F-350 with 104k on her. I had it for less than one day from the dealership and while I was pulling my trailer (only 2500lbs) the thing completely lost power. The symptoms were; turbo wouldn't spool, black smoke shooting from the tailpipe, and extremely harsh rev when trying to produce any power.

I am curious what you folks think the problem might be? I was thinking it could be the oil cooler, but am not 100% sure. I have it in the dealership, but I want a couple of opinions so when they call me with the diagnosis I can be ready to fire some questions at them. Thanks in advance!
Wow... not sure where the oil cooler idea came from but there's sure enough people all over that idea.... If they have their way, you'll be looking for a new motor....

Loss of power and black smoke is "USUALLY" (as opposed to "always") a bad EGR system.... and this is "USUALLY" (as opposed to "always") the EGR valve.

Black smoke is a sign of over fuelling.... there is either too much fuel being supplied for the conditions or there is not enough air supplied for the conditions.... We can stab parts at it willy-nilly or we can enter into a logical diagnostic process...
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Willy -Nilly Lol......sounds like Our service writers at work telling customers whats wrong with There Rigs. When actually for the most part he has no freaking Idea what hes talking about
Old 08-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampyJim View Post
Wow... not sure where the oil cooler idea came from but there's sure enough people all over that idea.... If they have their way, you'll be looking for a new motor....

Loss of power and black smoke is "USUALLY" (as opposed to "always") a bad EGR system.... and this is "USUALLY" (as opposed to "always") the EGR valve.

Black smoke is a sign of over fuelling.... there is either too much fuel being supplied for the conditions or there is not enough air supplied for the conditions.... We can stab parts at it willy-nilly or we can enter into a logical diagnostic process...
So a bad EGR system would run me approx me how much to have fixed? I'd say this dealer will quote average to average/high. I'm not really sure what the willy-nilly stuff is all about, maybe an inside joke I don't get yet. I'm still new here...

So you're saying if they have their way they're gonna try and rip me off and tell me I need a new motor. However, that's not the case right? I guess I just didn't get a whole lot of info from that last post. I'm concluding that you're telling me that it's a bad egr valve that I can simply take off myself and that the dealership is going to try to bend me over if I let them? Oh, and that the oil cooler was a terrible guess. Does that sound about right?

Last edited by capnsac; 08-04-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

I would agree. Check the egr. Black smoke is too much fuel being burnt. But since I only have a 97, I have no idea on how to change it and what it would cost.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Google "willy nilly"... It's not an inside joke - but I guess it must be an old guy thing.

As far as repairing an "EGR system"... again - we are going to need to decide just what is broken.... From your description (black smoke, lacks power) I will suggest a few possibilities.... EGR valve, turbo, MAP sensor, MAF sensor, charge air cooler system. Without proper testing, anything is going to be a wild guess....

But this is a crowning touch "So you're saying if they have their way they're gonna try and rip me off ...". Where... in Gods name, where did I say that?

At this point in time, you are asking questions that cannot be properly answered given the information presented.... But that one statement describes your mindset.... And I think I might back away from the podium....
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampyJim View Post
If they have their way, you'll be looking for a new motor....
Yes Old Gramps that does describe my mindset well doesn't it? Maybe if you were a bit more concise and not so vague you would have gotten an appropriate response. However, you weren't, so yes my mind wondered to a dealership trying to rip someone off. I must be the first guy to ever have thought a dealership would rip anyone off...hmmm weird.

If you'd like to 'back away from the podium' be my guest. You can go tell willy-nilly jokes to a more age-appropriate crowd feel free. I am certainly not going to stop you.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
grampy is one of the smartest guys on here in my mind out of all the searches ive done tryin to track down my problems with my 6.0 hes answered more than half of them with the right answer and more than likely your gunna need him down the road seein tht uve just purchased and UH OH 6.0.... so not to butt in on this but you should really hear wat he has to say im pretty sure he could build your engine with a blind fold on. and my 2cents on your problem you probly have a bad turbo or a bad egr cooler when they get blocked they restrict alot.....

05 F250 Lariat Crew Cab FX4 6.0, SCT Xcal2 with custom tunes from Direct Injection Performance, bullydog outlook monitor, 4in MBRP turbo back aluminized exhaust w.5in chrome stack off centered, AIRAID air intake, 4in fabtech suspension lift, 35in procomp xtreme all terrains, 20in black & chrome ULTRA rims, 2 jbl 12s, 600watt kenwood amp and kenwood ddx-712 double din head unit, 8k HID's, 2008 Tailgate, Shiny new Rapid Hitch, 08 Diff Cover (No more RTV for me check out LUBE LOCKERS), Omega train horns, viair 380c compressor, 10gal air tank and a quick connect fitting on tow hitch.
1-STC Fitting
3-EGR Coolers (And somehow its gone now)
2-EGR Valves
2-Oil Coolers
8-Injectors
1-IPR Valve
1-HPOP
Its Drinking Coolant like a mofo but oil is black as could be and no white smoke on startup?!?!?!?
soflasmoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Don't know your problem, but I am with soflasmoker here. He is being "vague" because of your lack of info. Based on your info, there are only so many ways to help you. And being "vauge" is better than being incorrect, and potentially mis-diagnosing your problem. I also have been helped quite a bit by "old gramps" as you put it, and I have shared some of the info Jim has supplied me with to the dealer, to help them fix my truck right. He is clearly very knowledgeable and experienced with these trucks, and if I were him, I would back away as well. I don't know how, or why you stay around Jim, but I sure appreciate your input.

New truck: 2008 F250 Superduty Lariat 6.4 PSD Job 3, black, with ALL the goodies, very impressed so far...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dieselmankane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.