Oil cooler upgrade or replace? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil cooler upgrade or replace?

I am installing an EGR Delete kit. I decided to do something about the oil cooler since I would be in the general area. I ordered a oil upgrade kit from the Ford guys in Minnesota per their suggestion. They said they sell a bunch of the upgrades but very few of the oil coolers. So, after time has gone by waiting for the parts, I got to thinking. If I have not had an EGR cooler failure, the coolant flush did not produce much sediment and my degas bottle had very minor sediment; what is the possibility that the oil cooler needs to be replaced rather than upgraded? For all I know, Ford may have already done it. I had issuses in the past where they replaced the turbo and I had an oil leak that required extensive labor to fix. Curious what you guys think. FYI, I have no mods, 70K and the only owner.
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Upgrading the oil cooler(with stock parts) is replacing it. The upgraded oil cooler is just a more recent version with heavier fins. If the oil cooler is original I'd replace it
Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well the parts kit cost 213.00 from the Ford dealer in Minnesota. Is this the typical cost on the upgrade?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes that's the oil cooler rebuild kit from Tousley, I just ordered the same one. Comes with oil cooler, gaskets, o-rings and screen. Re-use the old housing.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

If it hasn't been replaced it's probably at least close to being ready and since you're in there it would be a good time. What you need to know is how much difference there is in your coolant temp and your oil temp when the truck is warmed up. Mine didn't show any signs of problems at 99,000 when I bought it but I put an Edge Insight monitor on it and found that my oil temps were 20 degrees hotter than coolant temps. Ford recommends replacing the oil cooler if the oil temp is 14 degrees or more higher than the coolant. I replaced mine and now it runs about 7 degrees difference. The only way to know is with something like the Edge Insight or a scanner hooked up to it while driving down the road. In my opinion the couple hundred bucks I paid for the Edge Insight was the best investment I could have made.

1995 Chevy K1500
6.5 Diesel
335,000 Miles
fonecop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well, I was going through my receipts and found that Ford had replaced my antifreeze about 4 years ago. THey had to pull the engine because of an oil leak. Anyway, I have to wonder if that helped me not have any problems with the oil cooler and egr cooler........
Old 09-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

If it hasn't been replaced it's only a matter of time, if they did a coolant flush it would go toward your favor. Mine had 100,000 on it and when I pulled off the EGR cooler it was starting to leak and the oil cooler was clogged, but it probably hadn't been flushed. Myself if I was that deep I would replace it for $200 and then you know you're good. Then I would put another $200 toward an Edge Insight to keep an eye on it for the next time.

1995 Chevy K1500
6.5 Diesel
335,000 Miles
fonecop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

I got a quote from my mechanic for $1500, included was the egr delete, replacement oil cooler and coolant flush. He told me he had previous problems with the housing on the oil cooler failing and that he refused to use a rebuild kit, but would replace the entire oil cooler. Does this sound like a fair price? I had another quote for $1200 just for the egr delete....any input would be appreciated
3 inches of lift
315/r16 nitto grapplers
JBU1211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
DMC

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBU1211 View Post
I got a quote from my mechanic for $1500, included was the egr delete, replacement oil cooler and coolant flush. He told me he had previous problems with the housing on the oil cooler failing and that he refused to use a rebuild kit, but would replace the entire oil cooler. Does this sound like a fair price? I had another quote for $1200 just for the egr delete....any input would be appreciated
Sounds like a great deal if he does a good job on it.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

sounds like a good price. i was quoted $1650 for egr delete, new cooler and sct tuner from reputable shop. havent done it yet but it will be soon
-Fuel pressure gauge installed
MTpockets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Count yourself as lucky, I just had my oil cooler replaced and an egr delete done and where I am in Canada the bill was $3200 plus tax.
baddna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

If I couldn't work on my own cars and trucks, I couldn't afford them!!!
lenzhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.