oil leak from IPR valve - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak from IPR valve

I just took my truck to ford who told me that the oil leakin from the top rear of my engine was normal for the 6.0. I'm new to the powerstroke but that sounded like bull to me. I've spoke to a couple of people who said its probably the o-ring on the ipr valve thats leakin and i should just replace the valve. What do you all think, as i am sure you are all more experience with this engine than i am. Thanks for the input.
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
More than likely the leak is from the ICP sensor which is mounted right next to the IPR on your model year truck. The ICP sensor is a well known pattern failure. READ THIS for more details. FYI I have never seen an IPR leak.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

(ford_doctor) Thanks for the quick response. I tried looking under my hood for the sensor, it seems I may have to remove a couple of things to get at it. The sensor is relatively cheap at about $120, so i'll probably just get and replace it. Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

The sensor is on the back of the engine so it doesn't really stand out. I think this is the sensor which when replaced needs the pig tail replaced also due to oil contamination. Do get it replaced because when the wiring harness also goes bad and if it acts like mine you are in for the ride of your life and you don't want that.
baddna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

So after i examined my engine compartment yesterday i also noticed some oil residue around the (eot sensor or eot switch perhaps) the front valley on top of the engine behind the oil filter. I checked to see if the oil filter housing was leaking and it wasnt. But i think this is an additional leak i am having since the 2 components are far apart.

I am not experiencing and drivability issues or power issues as of yet just these 2 oil leaks. Does anyone know how severe these 2 problems can eventually lead?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
US...good Q, with no easy answer. Unfortunately ICP on 03's & 04 w/03 motor is in a really bad place (lousey design) Reports here how to DIY if u decide to tackle job. FDR. link shows running issues from bad icp.

Some oil leaks you can spot, but others can be real PIA. If one is creative with lots of patience u might be able to pin point where all the oil leaks are. Good luck!
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.