Oil Pan Drain Plug Size - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Pan Drain Plug Size

I just bought an 04 F250 6.0L and want to change the oil and the drain plug, but I can't seem to find the size/spec for the plug and don't want to take it out before I have another to replace it. The existing one is leaking slightly and it needs to be replaced. Can someone tell me the size/spec for this plug?

It looks like there may be another small oil leak somewhere, but that seems to be a common thread and I'll post more on that later once I get into it. Trying to solve the obvious issue first.
Chief-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
19mm (metric), i think.

New truck: 2008 F250 Superduty Lariat 6.4 PSD Job 3, black, with ALL the goodies, very impressed so far...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dieselmankane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Actually maybe it takes a 3/4" wrench.

New truck: 2008 F250 Superduty Lariat 6.4 PSD Job 3, black, with ALL the goodies, very impressed so far...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just changed mine today in the driveway I used a 3/4" box end wrench it was a tad sloppy so I think it is metric but the sae worked on it just fine.

Past truck 1992 F250 XLT 7.3 IDI ex-cab 4x4 auto 372,000 kms. It ran great; then a moose killed it!
pgjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

There you go, i have changed mine with the 19mm, but sounds like the 3/4 will work to.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-22-2008, 01:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

19mm converts to 0.748 inch... 3/4 is 0.750 inch... 0.002 inch is kind of a moot point when it comes to wrench size.

However, the OP is looking at buying a new drain plug and, I think, is more interested in shank diameter and thread pitch...

If the hex on the plug isn't mangled.... if the threads are in ggod shape..... and if the copper washer isn't near destroyed, try flipping the copper gasket downside up....

Now... here's a real "off the wall" suggestion... One visit to the "stealership"... Yep, there might be a little "pucker factor" when the price comes up... But one simple little visit to the "stealership" and you should walk away with the object of your desires.... No wishing, no hoping, no disappointments when you go to put things together again.

I can't speak for anyone else... but I see guys spending hours and hours to "save" a buck... Every hour I spend trying to save a few bucks takes me away from doing those things that earn me many bucks... It's called "false economy". We think we are doing good because it lowers our maintenance costs.... How many "billable" hours does it consume?
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Or you could replace the drain plug with a Fumoto valve. Pretty sure the correct size is F111 but double check. fumoto oil drain valves
Old 02-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Or the OP could be like me searching for a diff ave, I am needing a tee to fit the oil pan with one male and two female conn, so I can install my bypass filter an use the fumoto valve also.
dennisj2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.