Oil pressure gage drop at idle! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil pressure gage drop at idle!

My original problem was the check engine light coming on at idle and the oil pressure gage dropping to zero, but when I hit the gas everything would be normal. It runs great, but has a hard time starting. From the forums I figured it was the HPOP. I tore everything down and noticed a potential gasket leak so, but everything else looked great with the HPOP. I put everything back together, got her started and went on down the road. Same problem came back. My batteries are very old and don't hold a charge long at all. Can this check engine light on low oil pressure and hard starting be a battery issue? I also discovered I have an early 04 6.0l powerstroke which doesn't have the STC fitting on the HPOP.
David
dmageetx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sure others will chime in with more experience. But, my understanding is that the oil pressure indicator on the dash is hooked to a switch that closes at 8 psi. So, if it is working right your pressure could be going below 8. I think this would be the low pressure oil pump. However, it could just be the sensor. I don't know if the truck would run if your oil pressure actually dropped that low.

My understanding is also that bad batteries can can all sorts of electrical problems on these trucks, including ruining the FICM. Good idea to put good ones in.
June 2004 F350 6.0L, 4 Door Supercab XLT SRwd Short Bed, Automatic, Deluxe Aluminum wheels, Class V Trailer hitch receiver, 3.73 standard rear end. Line-X bed liner, 5th wheel hitch, Brakesmart trailer brake control and Powerlock starter interlock. Coolant filter. Fully Bullet Proofed.
Larryect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
First thing you need to do is get a new set of 850CCA batteries in because the old one will KILL the FICM $300 to repair or $1100 from Ford then go from there to the next problem.
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

You most likely need a high pressure pump. There is a ball bearing that falls out on the low pressure side of pump. When this ball bearing falls out, the oil bleeds back into crankcase instead of feeding high pressure pump.
djshum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't believe the truck would be running w/ that HPOP ball bearing missing.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Check that sensor, nasty oil or other garbage can plug it up keeping the oil and the pressure from it causing it to read improperly and as you already know the engine shut down is a protective feature.
Radiator, thermostat, heater valve, degas cap, EGR cooler; now deleted, Head gaskets, oil cooler, STC, stand pipes, dummy plugs, Upfitter switch, high idle mod. Motorcraft max batteries, Harley Davidson windshield x's 2, Scangauge II
RECON Big Rig Ice running board lights, interior LED light conversion, smoke LED tail lights, third brake light, mirror lights, fire & ice tailgate strip. ARP studs, Garrett powermax turbo, Metal CAC tube w/cool it thermo tec aluminized coating, Turbo oil supply and drain, Blue spring, Fuel/water separator drain plug, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/65R20 & Gatorback belt, Drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramic pads. IPR Generation 2 EGR & up pipe delete. IPR High flow coolant filtration system. JVC KW-NT700, Fumoto oil drain, block drain x's 2, Viper 5904 remote start & security, Rotella ELC conversion, CAT delete, tailgate assist, MBRP 5" turbo back SS, Atlas 40.
05_HARLEY_F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
I don't believe the truck would be running w/ that HPOP ball bearing missing.
It can, and will run with that ball missing...and the oil pressure gauge will show no oil pressure at idle. Have seen it 2 times. That ball is on the low oil pressure side, there is enough volume to feed the high pressure pump to allow engine to run but not enough make gauge register.
djshum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshum View Post
It can, and will run with that ball missing...and the oil pressure gauge will show no oil pressure at idle. Have seen it 2 times. That ball is on the low oil pressure side, there is enough volume to feed the high pressure pump to allow engine to run but not enough make gauge register.
Interesting - I had not seen that before.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just going through the same exact thing. I spent $5700 last year for new headgaskets, ARP studs, Bulletproof cooler, radiator etc. Now the engine was hard starting and my oil guage would fall to zero at stop lights. Getting a new HPOP, new FICM, new oil cooler and all for only $3900 for a truck that is worth $12000 (2004 Lariat). I hope it runs for another 150000 miles cause I am going to keep it.
-Ramsey winch
-H&K usp compact/.40 S&W
gleninaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

The oil pressure guage reads the low side of the system. I also thought the ball bearing was in the HPOP housing as a plug and would not let the vehicle run if missing. I guess we all learn something. You should get batteries for sure.
lenzhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

I see this pretty often. Replace the sender, they often fail or leak. I install a new one with every oil cooler.
Kevooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.