Oil rail upper seal replacement - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil rail upper seal replacement

Hey guys, here's the deal;
Got a buddys 2004 F250 6.0L in the shop with no power and extended hot crank time. Coded P2290 (icp low) and KOER had Cyl. #2 contribution. Icp sensor was full of oil and KOEO icp volts were below threshold, so replaced sensor and harness repair kit. With icp volts in range, started again and KOER came back with same codes, also noticed that ipr% was above 25 @ idle which led me to an HPO leak. Since #2 was weak, pulled that cover and ran again with oil squirting from on top of #2 injector. Replaced injector & ran again & *** still has oil squirting. Could it be the upper oil rail seal & if so, where do you get a tool to remove them. As always, all input is greatly appreciated. Mark
horseplayperformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have an 04 f550 with 57000 miles. I have a p2290 i pressurized the HPOP and found oil rail leaking above injectors talked to ford and they said that it is a controlled leak and said probaly my injectors were bad. I pulled all 8 injectors and sent them out and tested all were good. Reassembled motor, started ran 5 mins now back to no start. has new IPR, new ICP and Harness, has 560 PSI while cranking, no start again. When running could not build over 750 PSI. - I am still searching for my answers. - Eric
rushing97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Eric and good luck with your quest. I too am confused as I always thought the IPR was the "controlled leak" to maintain ICP. Therefore, the system had to be tight for the IPR to function properly. I was told by a Ford tech, that oil spraying from the top of an injector was a problem, and since the seal ring in the injector was only servicable by injector replacement, that was my only option. But he couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me anything obout the upper oil rail seal replacement. Anyway, I have a new set of seals, and if I can get the old ones out I'm going to replace them. They were not expensive through the local parts store. Thanks again for the reply. Mark
Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

hpo plug

I changed out my oil plugs on my 06 No Start 2006 6.0
Old 11-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Banshee. I forgot to mention that this 04 has the 03 engine so the oil rails are different. This one has the icp sensor on the back of the engine and not in the right oil rail. Thank goodness they moved it. Still no luck finding a tool to remove the downspouts so I can get to the seals though. Thanks again, Mark
Old 11-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have replaced a couple of the 03-early 04 oil rails for leaking around the injector spouts, never for a no start though. I have looked all over the internet for a tool to unscrew that pivot spout that goes into the injector with no luck. I actually cut a rail in half to inspect and found that the pivot spout are sealed to the rail with a hard o-ring similar to the ones used on the 05-07 rail plugs. I am going to call international to see if they will sell me one. One thing to remember is there is a oil 'exhaust' on the top of the injector and oil will come out of there, if there is one that is leaking more that is probably the culprit. The best way to test the rail is to get the engine to operating temp and apply shop air to oil rail with the air test adapter, listen with a stethoscope around each injector, you should not hear any leaking.

However with your symptoms I would be willing to bet you have a weak high pressure pump, stuck IPR valve, or and injector with a broken spring clip............
4ceFed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

horseplay, i just saw you said you got a new set of seals? What seals are you referring to?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushing97 View Post
I have an 04 f550 with 57000 miles. I have a p2290 i pressurized the HPOP and found oil rail leaking above injectors talked to ford and they said that it is a controlled leak and said probaly my injectors were bad. I pulled all 8 injectors and sent them out and tested all were good. Reassembled motor, started ran 5 mins now back to no start. has new IPR, new ICP and Harness, has 560 PSI while cranking, no start again. When running could not build over 750 PSI. - I am still searching for my answers. - Eric
HPOP, if the rails are leaking under air pressure and the injectors are good the rails should be replace as well. Leaking rails will cause erratic idle and surging, have not seen a rail cause a no start......
Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

why not just replace the oil rail if the R&R of the seals is questionable????
Egr delete, bullet proof oil cooler, arp studs, upgraded standpipes. Basically everything that can be done except the tranny
hooknline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

The rails are $400 a piece, seals probably like $20.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

I could not find the seals, talked to international they wanted $660.00 for a seal kit they could not sell me. I found taking a chainsaw spark plug wrench and drilling it the large end out with a 13/16th bit fits perfectly into the oil rail but could not get free. Assuming red locktight was used. I did not want to heat without new seals. Once again brought the oil rails to ford, they said it was a controlled leak. All 8 of my cones leaked exactly the same. No spray, constant dribble. Did find out from international that all 6.0 cones sealed the same way from international. Same parts same everything (did ford lie to me?) Still have no start, but not posted, right before truck died last time I did loose oil pressure gauge. Unplugged alternator, got oil pressure back on gauge.
rushing97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. 4ceFed, the seals are the "high pressure oil rail upper seals" according to the listing @ the local Carquest part#GS33445. The numbers I got from Ford say they are serviced with kit # 9T287 which also has the end plug seals, according to my Ford parts guy. Ford tech also told me they just replaced the complete rail if it was questionable. I'm trying to help out a friend who is unemployed and recently divorced, so funds are very limited. Very creative rushing. I took a steel hydraulic hose end with a 7/8 wrench size, ground the threads out with a burr and welded an old socket to it. Have hit them repeatedly with a 1/2 impact and they won't budge. Trying to help out a buddy is becoming trying on me. Thanks again. Mark
Old 11-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplayperformance View Post
Thanks everyone. 4ceFed, the seals are the "high pressure oil rail upper seals" according to the listing @ the local Carquest part#GS33445. The numbers I got from Ford say they are serviced with kit # 9T287 which also has the end plug seals, according to my Ford parts guy. Ford tech also told me they just replaced the complete rail if it was questionable. I'm trying to help out a friend who is unemployed and recently divorced, so funds are very limited. Very creative rushing. I took a steel hydraulic hose end with a 7/8 wrench size, ground the threads out with a burr and welded an old socket to it. Have hit them repeatedly with a 1/2 impact and they won't budge. Trying to help out a buddy is becoming trying on me. Thanks again. Mark
Any update on this? Im still looking for a tool to remove the injector spouts, no luck so far. What kind of 1/2" impact are you using? Whats the air pressure? I removed the end plugs and they were very tight, my titanium @130 psi took them off easily though....
Old 11-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

My 6.0 had same code and no start condition. The dealer took a month to get to your point now. What they did was cap off each side of cylinders HPOP manifold one at a time. Engine ran on left cylinders and HPOP pressure was checked good. When other side was capped the pressure was low 500 and no start. They replaced the oil manifold on the right cylinders because they couldnt find a leak with shop air (HPOP in in the 1000's PSI, shop air only 120 ish).
The mechanic stated there were tooling marks on the manifold even though the valve covers had never been off. I am guessing a fatigue crack at high pressure due to the high oil temps caused from my plugged oil cooler.
No worries now as I immediately traded it in after it was fixed this time.

Hope this helps.
72 Olds Cutlass S 455
03 Nash 26Z Triple Bunkhouse
oldscuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

for a tool to get these out take a nut that uses 15/16 socket, drill the inside out it leaves about a 1/6 wall, and grind jut a little off the flats then weld a second to the top to put socket on they will spin out there is no lock tight heat should not be needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.