Oil Temperature - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2006, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Temperature

Anybody know the designed operating oil temps for the 6.0? I'm asking because pre-head-gasket fix, I was running sub 210 degrees (oil) on normal to moderate (90 mph) highway use while seeing 195-202 degrees for the engine cooling system. Now that the dealer has replaced my head-gaskets (and ARP studs), I am seeing mid 235's to 240's for the oil with the water being down somewhat in the low 190's.

I've been through the usual quantity checks (and even replacement) on both systems.

Dealer mechanic is trying to find out the specs for me, but I hope maybe some of you might offer actual Ford info, or at least operating experience. I thought maybe the cab-off/cab-on treatment (to get to the heads) may have cause a pinched line with the oil-cooler, but the mechanic assured me that such a case isn't possible because the oil cooling system does not have lines that travel along the frame/body.

Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
05 F350 Crew Cab, 6.0 L, 6-speed MANUAL, 10" Pro Comp Lift with Traction Bars,40" Nitto Mud Grapplers,Moto Metal F950's, Air Raid, Banks Big Hoss Bundle, ARP Studs, Snow Boost Cooler, 4.56 Yukons, Detroit Locker, Mag Hytec, AMP steps
jfsbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Oil Temperature

I asked this question once before and the response I got was oil temp on everage will be 10 to 15 degrees hotter than engine temp.

My normal oil temp is around 205 with no load and engine at 190 to 200 range.

The highest I've ever seen was 230 pulling a 10,000 TT up a long grade and my engine temp was at 215.

Sounds like you have a problem.
tzurick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

212 is normal operating temp
gsosuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.

212 was the highest I had seen without any towing, and the oil was typically

Any ideas on what the head removal/replacement could have done to cause the new 30 to 50 degree difference?

The dealer changed the oil and filter. I've drained the oil and replaced with Rotella T, but I did not change the filter. I have pondered that the filter have some internal flaw restricting the flow of the oil, but I have never had nor heard of such an issue. I may change it out tomorrow.
05 F350 Crew Cab, 6.0 L, 6-speed MANUAL, 10" Pro Comp Lift with Traction Bars,40" Nitto Mud Grapplers,Moto Metal F950's, Air Raid, Banks Big Hoss Bundle, ARP Studs, Snow Boost Cooler, 4.56 Yukons, Detroit Locker, Mag Hytec, AMP steps
jfsbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ritschner

Is it possible the sensor or connection got damaged or is loose? I am also under the impression that oil is directed to the EOT sensor from the oil filter assembly. It may be possible that a bad, incorrect, or damaged oil filter may even affect readings. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
White 06 F350 Lariet CC 2WD DRW Tow Boss, Timbren SES, Bilsteins, Smiths Ultimate Bedliner, RK Tool Box, CondensorGuard, IntakeMod, S&B Intake, SEIC, Banks 4"TB, Accufab, Edge Attitude CS, Blue Spring Mod, Rebuilt FICM, STC and Standpipe update, Harpoon Mod, Coolant Filter, Glove Box Light, Hood Insulator, Rewired Mirror Heat, Seat Heater Indicator.
ritschner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Per Ford,engine coolant 230 degrees before fan fully engages and 256 degrees engine oil temp for a back-up if the coolant temp. does`nt kick the fan on.
My eng. oil temp got to 246 pulling 13K, 7% grade 90 degrees outside temp and never above 230 on the coolant when the fan fully engaged.
The coolant will be higher up to about 190 degrees then the oil temp takes over and rises above the coolant.
Around town on freeway mines about 198-202 coolant and 206-212 oil @ 65 mph and 110 degrees outside temp.
2007 new body GMC Sierra SLT 3500 SRW long bed, Duramax/Allison,Black,loaded and even sweeter and more dependable.
toshiba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.