Others are having VGT turbo problems too....... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Others are having VGT turbo problems too.......

This post is from a farm machinery forum about John Deere's 8030 series tractor. Thought that it might be interesting since our 6.0 are having problems

UPDATE - Deere has an explaination:

I spoke with my territory after-sale manager last week about my concerns and he confirmed my suspicions. According to his information, the cause of the failed turbo's is corrosion in part of the variable-geometry actuator mechanism. The failure only occurs when the engine sits idle for a period of time and then moving parts are stuck on next engine start.

He also said that the fault was at Borg-Warner because they had a batch manufactured that failed to get the suspect part(s) properly Nitride-treated to prevent the corrosion. I personally have a very hard time believing it was as simple as that because as far as I know, that process produces a blackened surface on the treated part...very easy to visually spot during assembly and I'm sure the QA folks would have noticed something as obvious as assembling bright, shiny parts where black ones had been the day before.

Deere rep assured me that my current turbo serial number falls after the problem was identified and corrected. This raises a whole seperate question: When was Deere planning on telling me that the first replacement turbo was also in the faulty group?

Who makes the turbo for the 6.0?

2013 Forest River Surveyor Select SV264
2013 Polaris XP 900 Blue/Orange Madness LE
2013 PJ 25' gooseneck with adjustable dovetail
2013 PJ 24' bumper pull heavy equipment hauler
2014 S&H 16' stock trailer
2014 Big Tex dump trailer
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Others are having VGT turbo problems too.......

Garrett makes the VGT turbo for the 6.0L. Interestingly, the Dmax uses the same turbo, but with the addition of a position control sensor that minimizes a lot of these issues. Nav opted not to utilize the position sensor, and ultimately, blamed Garrett for the high rate of turbo failures on the 6.0L. As a result, Nav turned to Borg-Warner to supply the turbos on the 6.4L.

- Jay
Diesel Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.

I guess time will tell as to which manufacturer is the best.

2013 Forest River Surveyor Select SV264
2013 Polaris XP 900 Blue/Orange Madness LE
2013 PJ 25' gooseneck with adjustable dovetail
2013 PJ 24' bumper pull heavy equipment hauler
2014 S&H 16' stock trailer
2014 Big Tex dump trailer
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

I believe educating owners as to the limits of the equipment is just as important as the Mfg. If you received a notice that this equipment is not designed for long idle times - say in excess of 15 minutes - would you contine to let it idle for longer time?

Also, I hope the October diesel fuel refinements will actually fix the idle and EGR issues. Keep your fingers crossed. Because going to a V10 in a heavy is not really an long term option.

I love my 7.3 and will keep it like the M'tang. The 6.0 ???? The wife - maybe an 08 or 09 XL Expedition so I can again reclaim my diesel. Need a tow vehicle.

Anyone know how to put a V10 in the m'tang - would love to somke some vipers. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

2001 Ex Ltd 7.3 4X4 08/01 build - prelube/post lube pump - otherwise Bone Stock

{Retired} 1999 V10 - 250XLT 08/98 build - Bone Stock - Sold in 01 to switch to X -

1993 GT 5.0 - Original Owner - daily driver at 105K; suspensiton upgrades; powertrain bone stock (and a better record of staying out of the shop over 13 years than the F250).
leffmand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

no need for a v10 in your 'tang, just put some STS remote mounted turbos on it and you'll be set! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
23,500 miles, 03'turbo, 3.5" down pipe to 5" straight through with 6" tip, SCT by I.D. and DJ, autometer phantom II gauges, 18x10 INCUBUS recoils with 33/13.5/18 baja ATZ's, Donehoe 2.5" leaveling kit, ECLIPSE head unit, MB Quart's in the doors, JL stealth box, JL 400/4
glenboyesen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.