Overboost causing turbo hose to blow? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Overboost causing turbo hose to blow?

This weekend, while towing up a hill, roughly 65mph and 3000rpm we heard a loud ZZZzzzzz then POP. No power, black smoke billowing. We were forced to limp the truck the next few miles into Saint George Ford where the diesel tech diagnosed us with a hose that had popped off of the turbo. He fixed it in the parking lot for us so we didn't have to unhook. Easy and we were on our way, until this morning.

This morning, no noise, but I lost all power and the truck was idling erratically and puffing black smoke. After flipping into neutral a few times I regained power and was off to work. It seemed to puff a little (probably just clearing it out).

My thinking was that the tech put the hose on while the truck was hot and maybe today, when the truck was cold, the hose was not seated properly due to the expansion/contraction factor? I'm guessing that the original blow was due to overboost? Does that sound correct? And, do I need to worry about todays hiccup? Could something else be wrong?

Recent Maintenance (just in case): I just replaced the fuel filters and changed oil. Replaced alternator a few weeks back and changed out batteries.

(Also, praise to the great diesel tech at Saint George Ford who looked at my truck when he was seriously overbooked just so we could get home )

Yamaha 2003 WR250F and 2003 WR450F

2006 Weekend Warrior, FS2300, flipped axle
F250_Lab_Taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

I had that happen once on my worktruck (F550), from what I've read, the common opinion is that because the crankcase breather is routed to the intake tract, there is a small amount of oil that gets put into the intake, which then seeps oil at all of the hoses and can cause one to pop off. If the pipes and hoses are cleaned and reinstalled correctly it should hold. Most people recomend rerouting the crankcase breather to a catch can and to the atmosphere, or without the catch can and straight to the atmosphere.

Hope this helps some, I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

C.J.

Certified Diesel Mechanic
2004 F550 Auto 2WD Zoodad, CCV, EGR "customized" Throttle plate removed
1984 Dodge Ramcharger 4WD pretty much nothing stock
2003 Dodge Durango cold air intake
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 sweet!!
CBristow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I dont think anything was cleaned. The tech just installed a new boot in the parking lot and we were on our way in about 20 mins. Maybe I should take them all off and replace with some of the more fancy, after-market boots?

Yamaha 2003 WR250F and 2003 WR450F

2006 Weekend Warrior, FS2300, flipped axle
F250_Lab_Taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
F250...curious..was new hose installed or old one reused? I doubt you need to change to aftmkt. JMO. Yes, overboosting can cause hose to blow off...worse case..can also cause h.g. to blow. If you continue to have an intermittant running issue..something else is wrong. Good luck!

btw..if new hose, # should be on your r/o.

Last edited by OT; 07-29-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: btw
OT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.