Overfilling oil a big problem? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Overfilling oil a big problem?

Just changed the oil in my truck for the first time today. Drained into a supposedly 15 qaurt pan and it overflowed a little bit. Owners manual lists 15 quarts as the refill capacity, with a foot note saying that that includes 1 quart for the filter.
Put in 15 quarts of Rotella T 15W40 and let it sit for about 20 minutes and checked oil. Reads above max, but the filter is still empty.
Started it, oil pressure came up slowly and everything looks normal. Let it run for about 5 minutes, shut it off and checked the oil again after an hour. Still shows high.

Is this a common problem? Will a little extra oil hurt anything? I know its vented, but I don't want it puking oil out the breather and making a mess of everthing.
55 watt halogen back up lights (4)
200 psi 5 gallon air system
Diesel Site Coolant Filter
HELLA FF50 Fog Lights
Custom Headache Rack
Custom Shovel Rack
Weatherguard Saddle Box
Weathergaurd Wheel Well Box
Herculiner wheel wells and rocker panels
Edge Insight with EGT and Fuel Pressure
MattShade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Overfilling oil a big problem?

Historically, the 6.0L engine has been very sensitive to overfilling. It will idle roughly and behave badly in general. Coupled with the stated 15qt capacity that includes oil you'll never get out during a drain, lots of these were getting overfilled early on. I fill mine with 14 qts after a change, which puts the oil below the MAX mark on the dipstick. Some people put in 13 or 13.5 qts. You just have to find the right amount for your truck. But put it below the max mark, or you'll have idling issues. Nothing that hurts the truck, it's just annoying.

Duncan
The 6.0L Bible: Web page
The 6.4L Bible: Web page
frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn,t worry about draining any out, unless your on the dipstick wire. I,ve had mine over full several times with no issues. For me 3 and 1/2 gal (14 qts) puts it on full. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Past 2002 F-350 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, Toreador
Red, 7.3L, Auto, DRW, Fully Loaded.

Past 94.5 F-250 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, 5 spd 7.3L PSD.
DRJ48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2007, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

What brand filter did you use? Some people who have used the Wix or Amsoil ones had problems where they would allow the oil to drain back out of the filter housing causing slow oil pressure build up like you describe. That may be your prob, but in my experience with mine, 14 quarts is all I ever needed in a change.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys

I used a Fram filter. Wanted a motorcraft, but they didn't have one in stock at the store I went to. I read on here that fram is made by the same company as the motorcraft is so I went with that.

I'll have to go out and check the jug. The more I think about it the more I think I left 2 quarts in the last jug, which would have actually been 14 quarts. Its not on the wire but it is above the max line.

I expected the oil pressure to be slow on th first start up, has been on every vehicly I've ever worked on. Will have to see if its slow again when I leave for work in the morning. If it is I'll stop by a dealership and get a motorcraft filter.
55 watt halogen back up lights (4)
200 psi 5 gallon air system
Diesel Site Coolant Filter
HELLA FF50 Fog Lights
Custom Headache Rack
Custom Shovel Rack
Weatherguard Saddle Box
Weathergaurd Wheel Well Box
Herculiner wheel wells and rocker panels
Edge Insight with EGT and Fuel Pressure
MattShade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

I do 13-14 qt's max.

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the input guys

I used a Fram filter. Wanted a motorcraft, but they didn't have one in stock at the store I went to. I read on here that fram is made by the same company as the motorcraft is so I went with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as the FRAM filter you used was made in the USA or Germany and has a felt ring on the bottom you are OK. You are correct, the FRAM and Motorcraft filters are the same Racor mfg'd filter.

As for oil, 14 qts works out perfectly. Definately no more.

As long as you removed the oil filter cover before draining your oil, with 14 qts you should be just under MAX on the dipstick. If you leave the oil filter cover on while draining you end up with a extra quart or so that doesn't drain out.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

doesnt the owners manual say 16 qts. for the 6L? i usually put 15-16 in mine and its perfectly on the max mark...
2003 cent. black lariat F250. crew cab, short box, 4X4. SCT, air raid cold air intake, zoodad, straight through exhaust, powershot 2000 propane kit, intake elbows.com elbow, fuel regulator shimmy mod, quad commander for gauges...tinted windows, gunmetal tails, clear recon mirror lights, fire & ice lightbar, billet grill, clear lamps, level kit, spray in bedliner...6cd in dash changer, sirius sat. radio, 2 - 10s in custom ported box
future plans: ccv mod, new clutch pack
dyno #s coming soon!
darinspsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
doesnt the owners manual say 16 qts. for the 6L? i usually put 15-16 in mine and its perfectly on the max mark...

[/ QUOTE ]

Its 15 qts total capacity, definately not 16. The main reason people only put in 13.5 -14 qts, is the HPOP/Fuel Injection system retains about 1 to 1.5 qts when you drain the oil. So putting 15 qts back in would render it over filled.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Manual States RE-FILL Capacity is 15 QTs. That puts both of mine at the Max Line.

16Qts will not harm it. When I changed the oil in my 06 at 10,000 miles my Employee put 16 Qts in, I drove it for 10,000 miles before I changed it!! Never had any problems during that time or after!!
---07 Shelby GT500--- Performance White Vert-- Mods-- JLT Intake, 2.6" upper & 10% IW Lower Pulleys, AFCO Duel Pass Heat Ext., American Racing Long Tube Headders, Full 3" Magnaflow Exhaust, Evolution Stage 4 Tune, BMR Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft, Steeda UCA & LCAs Currie 9" 1:3:75s True-Trac locker, Proglass Cold Air Hood, 36,500 miles---11.491 1/4 mile! 592RWHP
mobeydick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

What literally hundreds of TDS members wrote on various threads early on was that 15 quarts MAY cause a foaming problem. It never did in mine,and 15 qts would put the oil level on the very top of the ingenuously designed dipstick level indicator. In fact, the dealer where I got my first oil change did not yet know enough about the 6.0, that they did not open the filter first and allow it to drain, so I actually wound up with near 16 quarts. It did nothing different. I add 14 qts when I do it myself.
#2 93 F-150 XLT, 5 Liter, Auto, 4X4, X Cab. 251,000 miles. Uses no oil between changes.
montanafan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have owned 2 6.O Excursions and they have always been serviced at the Dealer. They put 16 qt every time. I have asked several times at two different dealerships and I always get the same answer. "That is what the computer tells the mechanic to use". Let it be true or not, my previous Excursion was bought back by Ford after 11,000 mile for "engine surging" that they could not resolved the new one a 2005 I have 23,000 with no problem except for a fuel pump that failed at 11,000 miles.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

What would happen if it was under filled?
I usually put in about 14 but its sometimes hard to read on the stick
Old 01-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Here we go again! The manual states 15 qts to refill. I add 15 qts at change in the X and the SD. No problems at all!
'06 F350 XLT 6.0 Crewcab SRW,FX4,6 spd. manual, Arizona Biege Met. BONE stock except for appearance and convienience add-ons: Westin stainless nerf bars, Brown's welding grillguard, Billet grill, Speedliner spray-in, Protecta bedmat,Fumoto valve,Hide-A-Way gooseneck hitch,amber pinch weld lights, Husky floor liners, C-betr mirrors.

'03 6.0 Excursion 4X4 Limited (Wife's ride)stock 'cept for the Ranchhand bolt-on grillguard, 285/75/16's and Fumoto valve.

SOLD! '94F350,PSD,4x4,CC,straight pipe(I HATE CATS!!!),shimmed,ported snorkle,K&N filter,J.D. coolant eye,amzoil-tranny&trans.case,updated PCM.Pro-Comp 315/75/16A/T's,Pioneer cd player,Brite Box,LuK SMFW-LuK 13 clutch,4" Skyjacker lift.

Married so driver carries NO CASH!!!!!
hotcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

You are correct, and furthermore, I believe the 15 quarts is considered crankcase or oil pan capacity, so the oil retained in engine cavities is accounted for. I know it doesn't make any difference to MY 6.0 if I use 16 qts or 14 qts. However, that being said, I know these things can be a little on the finicky side. Some were finding that 15 qts was apparently being whipped into foam by the crankshaft, and was causing aeration problems.
#2 93 F-150 XLT, 5 Liter, Auto, 4X4, X Cab. 251,000 miles. Uses no oil between changes.
montanafan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.