The Diesel Stop banner

Overheating

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TKOPerformance 
#1 ·
Hear is all the info if some can help that would be great before I just take Fords word as gold. I have a 06 F-250 Harley Davidson edition. I bought the truck three years ago and now I am having a overheating issue. The truck came with a sinister erg delete. I put a bank cold air intake on and as far as I know that is the extent of engine extras. I don't know of any tunes. Now for the overheating problem. At the end of camping season last year the truck overheated spilling out the degras bottle. I took the truck to a diesel mechanic and told him of the problem he could not find anything and refilled the coolant. This year I went down to South Carolina and had an overheat just like last year without towing anything. I refilled the coolant and had no problems the rest of the trip. When I got home I hooked up my camper and wanted to see if the truck would overheat while under a load well it did just that. Unhooked the truck and no problems again. *** I give up what is going on. Please help. Thank you

#2 ·
Best starting point would be to get something to be able to read vitals from your truck. I believe at autoparts store there is a elm 327 plug that plugs in under your dash to your OBD2 port. You can then download an app on your phone or computer to read the data.

There could be multiple causes for this.

When it over heated were you towing? Hammering it?

#6 ·
It could be caused by a lot of things, anything from a bad t-stat to blown HGs. If the t-stat has never been changed I'd start there. I'd also replace the cap on the degas bottle. They are known to get weak and not hold pressure. Coolant will boil at about 250 degrees with 14 psi worth of system pressure, but only 212 with none. I would also check your ECT vs. EOT to see if a plugged oil cooler is causing it to overheat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.