P0278 ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P0278 ?

Just got my truck back from service. Can someone tell me what a retrieved code "P0278" means? Is there a public listing of codes somewhere?

My truck was idling rough when very cold and just was reflashed per tsb 07-05-04, which I've read about here on this site. But I am curious about the code.
Added: LineX, Isspro gauges in the A Pillar, Reese Titan hitch, AIC enabled thru upfitter switch. A.R.E MX series cap, Fumoto valve, KC backup lamps thru upfitter switch. Everything else stock.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: P0278 ?

P0278 Cylinder 6 Contribution/Balance

P0278 Cylinder 6 Contribution/Balance Fault

Bondo©
Old, SOLD 99 F350 4X4 DRW XCab, XLE4, 4.10LS, man hubs, auto, K/N air, 2 pod A-pillar, tranny temp/pyro, DynoMAX CAT back, WD Turbo Chip, TC lock switch, blue/silver, Reese goose.
Went to a good home in MO !!
1965 Galaxie 500, 4 dr, Thunderbird 352 4V SPCL 8 (fresh rebuild, purchased 9-28-65 for $2858.75 (still have original receipt and window sticker.
64 Ford pickup second owner, new project!
drbond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the reply. That doesn't sound good. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vulnerable.gif[/img]

I had no indication of a problem other than rough idle right after startup during very cold (<10*) weather, which went away after the truck warmed up. Is it possible this code was generated during one of those starts and hung around long enough for the tech who worked on my truck this week to retrieve it? (sticky #6 injector, that would be corrected by the inductive heating strategy?)

If this was the case, would the reflash TSB 07-05-04 allievate this, or is this possibly indicative of a more serious problem?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Added: LineX, Isspro gauges in the A Pillar, Reese Titan hitch, AIC enabled thru upfitter switch. A.R.E MX series cap, Fumoto valve, KC backup lamps thru upfitter switch. Everything else stock.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Bump. Looking for more info.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)

That code could very well have been set during one of those cold starts. The inductive heat reflash is a very effective repair.

I wouldn't anticipate any other problems similar to this anymore...
Old 04-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have an occasional romp when I start up cold. Will this flash help? How about power and milage. Will there be any loss in either?
Thx.
6.0 PSD XLT, 4x4 SC FX4 LT265's 3:73 LS/Torqshift
LineX Bedliner Hog Catback Exhaust Virtual Billet Grill Tranny tune by ID
<font color="blue">05/05/03 Build date

-----------------------------
<font color="blue"> Anchors Aweigh
tincan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks GregH, I was hoping to hear something like that. Boating season is just around the corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.