P2290 Code - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P2290 Code

I have read alot of the ICP threads on here even though I am a new member, but I am still not sure what my problem is. The CEL came on the other day and I got a P2290 code. The truck now has very little power when you get on it, but it fires up each time. Once it was a little long cranking but thats it. It has done the surge thing when sitting at stop lights some times. Sounds like normally a P2284 code appears when it is the ICP sensor. I do not get that code. Is changing the sensor a long shot, or is it worth it before going to the HPOP?
kevdog00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What year of 6.0 do you have? There are differences for sensors between years. I see an STC upgrade in your future.
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have an early 2003 mfg date 3/03. I don't think it has a STC.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

03's are prone to ICP sensor failure. If there is any oil leaking through the ICP sensor connector, it's bad. If ICP voltage is not .22 to .24 volts with the key on engine off, it requires replacement. There is a small check ball, looks like a ball bearing that is pressed into the left side of the pump. Once that ball works it's way loose you have a HP oil leak. I've seen trucks not start at all, surge, or run normally but the oil pressure warning light comes on at times. Also, the 03' to early 04' high pressure oil pumps do wear out. That's why Ford changed the design in late 04' and added the STC fitting in 05'.
Gofaster23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

gofaster23 thanks for the info. Couple of questions I hope you can answer. Where can I measure the ICP voltage, only at the connector? I tried to look from under the truck for any leaking oil but it is very hard to tell due to the location of the ICP sensor. I am going to replace the ICP and pigtail on Saturday hoping that solves the issue. If not, would your expertise say it needs a new HPOP? Would you suggest going with another Ford stock HPOP or the upgraded version DieselSite sells? How big of a job is it to change out the HPOP? Can I do it at home, or should it go to the dealer? Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

If the icp sensor and connector does not fix your issue, I would definitely recommend doing an air test. The 03's didn't have many common high pressure oil system leak concerns, but it is worth testing before spending the money on a pump. I have seen the o-ring wear out that seals on the high pressure pump cover and seen o-ring on top of injector leak...no real common issues.
djshum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Update: I purchased a SGII today to see if I could rule out anything. ICP shows 650 up to 2100 psi reving in park. Truck cant get over 750 psi pulling a hill. Seems the telling sign is FICM voltage is under 48 volts most of the time. It gets as low as 38-39 but normally between 40-47. Batteries are 12.6 volts with truck not running and 13.6 volts while running. I did have the batteries load tested at Autozone to check and they told me the cranking battery tested bad and the auxillary battery was good. The batteries are Motorcraft and just over two years old since I last replaced them. My thinking now is to replace the batteries and if FICM voltage is below 48 volts to have the unit repaired at ficmrepair.com. ICP sensor and HPOP appear fine based on the SGII data. Doesn't seem worth the money to replace the sensor now. Anyone concur or have any additional thoughts of what might be wrong? Was hoping to take the 5er camping for thanksgiving, but not with the truck as it is now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

I agree. Get the batteries replaced. Should still be covered under warranty (3 years, IIRC). Then replace or repair the FICM.

And, for the record, there's not a starting battery and aux battery. They're wired in parallel so you get 12volts and twice the current.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, I got the FICM repaired and it shows 47.5 -48 volts all the time now but I still have a low power issue when I step on it. The ICP on my Scangage2 shows it gets pressure up around 1600 psi with just a small amount of throttle while driving, but if I step on it the psi drops to 600-700 psi and the truck has very little acceleration. In park the ICP seems to work fine revving the motor up. Not sure if my ICP could be the problem or the HPOP is going, or ??? No codes being thrown now. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have the same problem with my 03 and I have a P2290 code. I am tearing it apart right now. The ICP sensor and harness were full of oil Im not sure if this is the problem or if its the HPOP. I will let you know what I find. My truck starts fine but has low power. The ICP voltage is 0.8 volts at WOT and usually stays around 1.5 volts surges around 2.5 volts when I let off the throttle.
FOZZIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ok Fozzie sounds the same. For sure let me know what you find on your truck. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

?? Well?
buster12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Kevdog, did you replace your icp sensor yet? I pulled my HPOP and it feels bad turning it by hand. All the o rings look fine but the branch tube on top of the pump has a lot of play. Im not sure how you take it off to check the o ring. After I put it back together Im buying a Cummins!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

ICP sensor is getting done this week. My truck is hard to start now when it is hot. Starts fine when it is cold. Suspect the IPR may be an issue also. I am hoping the HPOP is not bad, from what I have read it is rare that those go out. Have you done your ICP and IPR yet Fozzie?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

I asked my local Ford dealer if they had a HPOP in stock and if I could turn it by hand before I bought it. I read a couple times before you can check the condition of the pump by turning it by hand and I wanted to feel the difference between mine and a new one. The dealer told me all they want to do is steal my money and they will not talk to me to help me diagnose my problem. I only can bring my truck in and they will figure it out. The dealer referred me to a local independent shop that has a very good reputation with the 6.0. I talked to the guy at the shop and he does not think my HPOP is the problem. Since it is low on power and starts fine he thinks my fuel pressure is low. I know the P2290 code is for low HPO but he explained everything works as a system and low fuel pressure can cause low HPO. If the HPOP was bad he said I would have a hole in my IPR screen or metal flakes on the IPR screen. The IPR looks ok. The guy at the shop spent a lot of time with me, seemed very knowledgeable about the 6.0, and let me borrow his special tool to take the branch tube off. He is a very nice guy and gave me a ton of great info. I have an Edge Insight but I have not had the time to install the fuel pressure sensor.

So kevdog, do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Have you updated your fuel pressure spring to the blue one yet? If not you might want to update your spring before you try a new HPOP to fix your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.