P2617 Code - Crankshaft positions sensor? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P2617 Code - Crankshaft positions sensor?

Hello everyone. Thanks for all the help you've given me over the years just from reading the threads on here. I can't find the answer to this one, despite my searches.

2006 F-350 Crew Cab Dually, 6.0, Auto. 150,000 miles (yeah, no warranty help here)

Truck started becoming harder to start over the past few days. Cranks, acts like it will start, even might start for a few seconds, then dies. Good fuel, good filters. Recently changed oil. Fuel pressure enough to bubble/spray fuel at the upper fuel filter.

Now it shows a P2617 code saying "Crankshaft position sensor circuit output open" or something similar, and won't do much but sputter. I'm use a $300 scan tool from O'reilly's, so maybe it isn't giving me accurate info, but it has been accurate in past.

Can anyone help me?
ScottGropp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Make sure the crank sensor is hooked up or maybe the wires got frayed somewhere for it. That's my 2cents though.
'03 F-350 Reg. Cab 4x4 automatic trans, 5inch mbrp exhaust, afe stage 1 w/ torque tube, edge juice with attitude and 3inches of lift in the front with a add-a-leaf added to the factory springs and a 1inch block, 35inch BFG All Terrains on AR 16.5 by 9.75 rims.
GreenMachine03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

I tried moving the wires around underneath to see if I could accomplish something. They weren't easy to get to, but I did move them around a fair amount. I've talked to a great tech about this, and he says the sensor going bad is so rare, he isn't sure that would be it. Wires chaffing, maybe. But the code reading seemed strange also.

So I thought I would see if there was anything obscure this forum could point me to. Thanks.
ScottGropp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
This is just a guess,mind you, but I would look at the ICP sensor and connector. If there is oil in the connector, then the ICP is leaking. When my ICP went bad, it went from hard to start to not starting at all.

Good luck.
Black/05/F350/XLT/CC/LWB/FX4/SRW/3.73/6.0L PSD/ TorqShift/Updated TBC/Upfitter Switches/SEIC Mod/Diesel Site Coolant Filter/Fumoto Valve/ITEC HFCM Drain Plug/Bilstein Shocks/BFG A/T 28565R18/Built September of 2004

Texas Proud.
God Bless our Armed Forces.
Black05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Scott ,

Not to add complexity to this problem, but you could have more than one issue going on. I'm in agreement with Black05 about this possibly being an ICP issue. Also, even though it might not show any traces of oil, the sensor itself could still be bad. You might see if your tech. friend could hook up a Ford computer to look at the ICP reading. Anything below 500 PSI and the injectors won't even fire. Also, don't rule out that it isn't a CPS problem. There's no rule that states these trucks can't have more than one problem at the same time...food for thought. Keep us posted on what you find!

Later,

* '04 F250 XCab LWB 4X4 w/ FX4 *
* TorqShift *
* Manual 4WD *
* Carpet Delete *
* No. 2 ONLY *
* High-Idle Mod *
* Fumoto Valve *
AllOutFirefighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am having similar problems. My 03 6.0 F-250 went from an ICP sensor code to a Crankshaft sensor code. Took it to the shop and there was a leak in cylinder 1, which they fixed. After that there was not enough oil pressure to reach the 500 to get the truck to start. They are still unclear on what is going on; however, they were able to start it with 1, 3, 5, and 7 fuel injectors unplugged. But only ran for 20 minutes before it stalled. So I still have some other issues. All the fluids are new, FICM is good, etc...the shop has no answers.

Be interested to find out what your truck is experiencing and if there might be any suggestions on what is happening with mine!!!!
18" Mazzi's
RBP Exhaust
Tru Flow
Diablo Sport
Dustn1799 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.