reman turbo antiseize? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
reman turbo antiseize?

I just got a reman turbo from the stealership part#1877833c91.

Should I antiseize the ring before I install the turbo?

What did they do to fix the problem on these turbos?

Thank you,
Rob
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
Read what FDR. says about assembly. Reliability is anyone's guess?FDDTS - Turbocharger Reconditioning
Old 09-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

i would leave it alone. the new turbos are machined a little different to keep rust from building up. i havent seen replacement turbos go bad unless something else is going wrong with the truck.
96 PSD reg cab 4x4 auto 4.10 LS rear xlt. 4" superlift 35" BGF Muds on 16.5 mickey thompsons, dual stabilizers, 3" glass cowl hood, custom american patriot headlinner, Beans stage I's, TS Performance 6 pos. chip, SD HPOP, BB in fuel regulator, custom intake, 3" downpipe, 4" straight pipe exhaust and 5" tip. All aluminum radiator, 6.0 trans cooler. Banks pyro, trans temp and boost gauges on the pillar. TransGo shift kit, billet converter. 10" rear drup bumper, custom droped hitch receiver billet grille, custom front bumper with fog lights and billet grille, diamond cut headlights, clear corners and markers. Viair compressor, one gal. tank and dual air horns.
90 mustang 347 race car.

05 f250 red supercab 6.0, suncoast auto trans, 4x4, long bed fx4, grey interior. atc 275cc injectors, turbonetics ceramic coated 70mm turbo, head studs, aeromotive fuel system, sct with innovative tunes, dual 5" stacks.
fordboyyfm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
OT

taxi..is this t. for a 6L?

fboy...curious, how would being machined alittle different keep rust from building up? TIA
Old 09-26-2008, 05:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes 03 6.0 with 65,000 miles
Old 09-26-2008, 05:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OT View Post
Read what FDR. says about assembly. Reliability is anyone's guess?FDDTS - Turbocharger Reconditioning

I tried to do this first and it was so pitted up under the ring and the ring had to be pried off the housing so I got a reman turbo but they say they fixed the problem with them???? we will see.

Rob
Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I have seen the new style CRH bind but it is very rare. The use of anti-seize is not meant to provide lubrication but rather to protect the metal from rusting and it should be applied in a very thin coating. Ford remans come doused with clean engine oil and the turbocharger reconditioning TSB has us use oil. I don't see any point to the oil if the turbo is being serviced by a technician to be immediately reinstalled on an engine but if it is sitting on a shelf somewhere it prevents rusting. The Navistar TSB has us use anti seize. Which is better? In the long run I would say neither but high temperature anti-seize will last longer and oil will burn off immediately.

To the original poster, I would just install the turbo and be sure you have the updated oil drain tube.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

To the original poster, I would just install the turbo and be sure you have the updated oil drain tube.[/quote]

Well its off to the dealership again to order parts. You would think if it is a updated part they would send it with the turbo........ Why did they update the drain?? and man is that a muther funckner to get in.

Rob
Old 09-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
OT

taxi...replies got me curious..change's made VGT 03/06 6L TURBO My t. replaced under warr. 11/06 # 3C3Z 6K682 BARM. Tube # 6C3Z 9T515 A which maybe one FDR. mentioned? I think tube diameter was increased, but don't recall for sure. Point is...

I got reman. t.....you just got a reman., but sounds like it will be a redesigned one. Makes me wonder if mine was a redesign.? Anyhow..Good luck!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think that is what they are changing on the newer 6.0 as far as what they did to my reman turbo???? who knows maybe more clearance between the housing and the ring I hope?? and as far as the updated oil drain the hole in thr intake and turbo is still the same size I will see Monday when the part gets here.

Rob
Old 09-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidermist48836 View Post
To the original poster, I would just install the turbo and be sure you have the updated oil drain tube.

Well its off to the dealership again to order parts. You would think if it is a updated part they would send it with the turbo........ Why did they update the drain?? and man is that a muther funckner to get in.

Rob[/quote]

The updated drain pipe has a larger ID.... Ford tells us this will reduce coking and, from what I can see, it appears to help.... To install the drain, simply make sure everything is clean that needs to be clean, oil the O-rings and install the tube... If it's fighting back, something is wrong.
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.