Replace injection pressure regulator - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replace injection pressure regulator

I'm new to The Diesel Stop and Powerstrokes. I'm working on a 2003 F550 6.0l. I've got an oil leak from the top of the block at the very back that runs down the back of the engine and tranny bell housing. I've determined the leak comes from the ICP. I've heard it's a good idea to replace the ICR while I'm in there. The problem is the ICR has an electrical connection the sticks out 90 degrees on the end of the sensor and hits the intake manifold when I try to back it out. Does the intake have to come to replace the ICR?
Sorry about the signature.

Last edited by stogie; 03-11-2011 at 09:12 PM.
stogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Yes and no. It depends.
If you can get the IPR sensor out far enough so that the body of the sensor can turn, the answer is no. The body of the sensor is independent of the nut that tightens it so that you can "clock" the connector upon reinstallation.
If you are sure it is the sensor leaking, and are going to replace it, break the darn connector off.
Have you looked at the turbo oil drain tube as the source of the oil leak? Those have to be installed perfectly or they will leak.
Just a point of information:
The tube can not be installed deeper than 0.9 inches into the HPOP cover (the aluminum piece the IPR sensor is screwed into). If it is and you do what comes natural and yank it back out, you MUST replace the o-ring. The machining of the HPOP cover further in than the 0.9 inches can catch/nick the o-ring. You might want to buy another o-ring for that purpose, just in case, I am glad I did.
ex mounty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

replace pressure regulator

I checked the top of the engine as well as I could.It looks dry except for the area these two sensors are in.
The dealer said said a hot no start problem could be from this regulator being contaminated with oil from the leaky pressure sensor.
So the outside of the regulator rotates independently from the rest of the regulator body. Good to know. Now if I can only get at it.
Thanks to ex mountie!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
If your talking about the IPR sensor, yes. (screws into the drivers side of the HPOP cover)
A hot no-start condition could be many things. It might be the IPR, the ICP, STC fitting on the HPOP, the dummy plug o-rings on the rails, or a bad o-ring on the standpipes. It is likely high pressure oil system related. Getting into the engine this deep costs alot of cake, be sure what it is by having the high pressure oil system checked. They pressurize it with air to determine where the leak is.

Last edited by ex mounty; 03-11-2011 at 10:15 PM.
ex mounty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got the IPR installed. I see how the outside clocks to avoid obstacles.( Thanks again to ex mountie ) I'll check into pressure checking the high pressure oil system.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

where is the ipr installed at and how do you check to see if its bad....
brandonoliver01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonoliver01 View Post
where is the ipr installed at and how do you check to see if its bad....
On the 2003 it is located under the turbo and can be accessed from drivers side of the engine.

Testing or checking it is done for the most part with a scan tool that is capable of reading IPR % (how much it is opened) A visual inspection could be useful to see if the screen is damaged or has shavings in it.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok i will get the scan gauge 2 that will read ipr and go from there i can not see it on my truck i need to check it to see if im getting atleast 500psig to fire the injectors correct? what would shavings in it mean?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonoliver01 View Post
ok i will get the scan gauge 2 that will read ipr and go from there i can not see it on my truck i need to check it to see if im getting atleast 500psig to fire the injectors correct? what would shavings in it mean?
brandonolivero1
This post is stogie's post. It should be related to his problem. If you are having a problem with your truck you should start a new thread.

The scan gauge II is a good tool to help diagnose problems with your truck. Personaly, I purchased the Auto Enginuity software for my laptop. It will do more to narrow down the problems associated with the 6.0. Very helpful in finding injector problems. Kept me out of the dealership.

Shavings or small metal particles in the screen in your IPR valve would be a good indication of your high pressure pump failing. I have heard of screens that have been torn or collapsed that can be fixed by simply replacing the screen.

Again, if you are having a problem with your truck, you will get more advise starting your own post. or you can send me a private message (PM)
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

my bad ill look into the software...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.