Replaced Alternator, now Speedometer doesn't work and ABS light is on, HELP! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replaced Alternator, now Speedometer doesn't work and ABS light is on, HELP!

I have an 05 6.0 with dual alternators. The top alternator went bad and I replaced it. The engine is running perfectly now, but my speedometer isn't working, the odometer display is lit up, but is not adding miles while I drive, the ABS light came on, and the cruise control isn't working.

Has anybody seen this before?

Thanks!
dustin139 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Try driving it with the alternator connector disconnected. You new alternator could be giving out some RF interference, causing your speedo, and ABS to go whacky.
Ford Senior/Master/Diesel Technician in the Greater Toronto Area. Contact me for help getting your vehicle serviced. Do not contact me with anything pertaining to performance modifications. Proud to be a member of Ford Doctors Diesel Technician Society.
alexb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree it sounds like you got an alt with a bad rectifier bridge. Remember run the truck on the batteries only, not run the truck with the batteries disconnected as that could/likely would fry every electronic in the truck.... Change out the alt.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Check the AC voltage level. DO it at the alternator output terminal. 30 millivolts AC is allowable (.030 VAC).
If more than this then you have bad rectifying diodes and the AC voltage is messing with the signals from wheel speed sensor or ABS module.
The other possibility is that rear wheel speed sensor failed or is contaminated and it is not associated with changing alternator.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 141K
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 205K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you very much for taking the time to help and reply.

I'm still having problems.

I disconnected all the wires from the alternator and went for a drive; no change.

Checked the AC voltage from the alternator output terminal - reads 0 (I'm wondering if I did this correctly? I checked it at the heavy red output wire, not the sensor wires at the harness?)

Checked DC; its 13 at the batteries with the truck turned off.

With truck running -14.

Turned on the lights and air conditioning, drops for a moment, then back up to 14.

Checked at alternator output terminal- 14.

(note, my meter doesn't read in decimals)

Pulled out VSS; no apparent contamination. Heading to the dealer to buy a new one so I can eliminate that as a potential problem. I also checked the ground for the VSS and reconnected it. It appears fine.

Currently, no speedo, no cruise, odometer display lights up, but is not registering miles.

I've only driven about 20 miles with the truck in this condition. I'm planning to sell it soon and am now concerned this may somehow turn into an odometer discrepancy issue? Has anybody dealt with this before?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mine did something similar. It wasnt the sensor in the rear diff, but I replaced it anyway.
It turned out to be a bad or loose connection in the fuse box under the steering wheel. I wiggled all the wires, plugs, and checked the relays and fuses. That seemed to fix it, but I also put another alternator in too.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've now replaced the VSS and still no speedo, ABS light is on, and no cruise. FRUSTRATING!

Any other ideas?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin139 View Post
Any other ideas?
Have a professional at least diagnose it for you. Hint: all of the modules on your truck that require vehicle speed information get it from the ABS module.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to the dealer in the morning. I show horses with the diesel mechanic there. He said to bring it in for him to look at and he'd make sure I wasn't gouged too bad on the price.

I think this truck doesn't want to leave me. I've had it for four years and put 71,000 miles on it without a single problem. I listed it for sale last Monday; the following Wednesday the alternator dies, then this happens. Funny how this stuff works out.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'll post back on here after my dealer visit. Maybe somebody else will have the same problem and they can learn from my experience.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin139 View Post
I'll post back on here after my dealer visit. Maybe somebody else will have the same problem and they can learn from my experience.
The strange occurrences with this symptom, and I have seen this before ended up being bad grounds or really bad battery terminals. "Dirty power" can screw with some sensors. The last one I corrected had a very poorly repaired positive battery terminal/cable that arced while driving down the road...
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm certain it isn't the battery terminals. I take very good care of my truck...its so clean under the hood that you could eat off it. The battery terminals are spotless, the rubber boots have even been wiped down with Armor All.

I checked the ground. I read that its behind the driver's side headlight, a green wire with black stripe. I took it loose, touched up the post and connection with sand paper to make sure the connection was solid.

I'm by no means a mechanic, but I understand how the system is supposed to work. I'm really baffled by this.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Check the AC voltage level. DO it at the alternator output terminal. 30 millivolts AC is allowable (.030 VAC).
If more than this then you have bad rectifying diodes and the AC voltage is messing with the signals from wheel speed sensor or ABS module.
The other possibility is that rear wheel speed sensor failed or is contaminated and it is not associated with changing alternator.

Just wanted to bump this and see what the outcome was? My truck has the same issue. Brand new alternator and it is putting out .067 vAC. Could this be the culprit to my ABS light and lack of Speedo?
18" Weld Racing wheels w/ 35" Yoko Geolander rubber
Airaid Intake
Banks Catbat exhaust
STC Upgrade
135 amp Alternator
willy.usn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

You wouldn't be the first to get a bum alternator right out of the box. Especially if it's from one of the corner part stores.

Make sure you wait for a couple minutes after starting before you check the voltage. The alternator does not kick in until the glow plugs cycle off. Could be up to 2 minutes. I'd also take the alternator in and have a proper diagnostic test performed.

Lastly, don't mess around with a bad alternator or battery very long. Either can kill an FICM in pretty short order.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain

Last edited by dieselmac; 11-29-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Can't type...
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

If your meter doesn't read decimals, I would suggest getting a better meter. I have never seen one that doesn't and you can pick them up pretty reasonably anymore.

Just an absolute shot in the dark. But how about a computer reboot. Try disconnecting both batteries and taking all power off for maybe 30 minutes or so.
June 2004 F350 6.0L, 4 Door Supercab XLT SRwd Short Bed, Automatic, Deluxe Aluminum wheels, Class V Trailer hitch receiver, 3.73 standard rear end. Line-X bed liner, 5th wheel hitch, Brakesmart trailer brake control and Powerlock starter interlock. Coolant filter. Fully Bullet Proofed.
Larryect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.