Replacing A/C compressor - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing A/C compressor

I need to replace the compressor on my 04 f250, anyone have a link to a walk through to make it a little easier, I did a search but couldn't come up with much besides the fact that it is a pain in the butt to do.
Mdotson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Unless you have all the right equipment and gauges, I wouldn't bother doing it yourself. The proper way to do it is to recover all the refrigerant, and then remove the compressor. Flush the system to remove any contaminants or metal from the compressor failing. Replace the drier/reciever and orifice tube, Then Evacuate the sytem ( pull a vacum) to remove any moisture. Then Charge with nitrogen to test for leaks and if none then remove nitrogen and charge with R134a...

You will need a good vacum pump and a set of manifold gauges at least. I suppose if all the refrigerant was "gone" when you started taking the lines off the compressor, then you wouldn't have to recover the stuff. FLUSH is very important if the internals of the compressor failed as it will spread metal shavings everywhere. Drier/reciever change is normaly a requirement for compressor warranty.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
In addition to what was posted already you will find the bolts may not come out far enough without loosening RH engine mount from frame and jacking engine up a bit. Direct mount components reduce noise-vibration-harness but they increase PITA a fair amount.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 149K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 215K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 112K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hmm well I might just say forget it and deal with it next spring, summer is almost over and I can deal with the heat for a little while lol. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

If your compressor failed internally you should replaced the condensor, as it cannot be flush very well.
06 F-250 x/c 4X4 sb 17" alloy wheels. Tri-fold tonneau cover, weathertech vent visor,Ford floormats and splash guards. HarleyD headlights, Duplicolor bedliner coated bumpers, 08 rear bumper and taillights, herculiner rocker panels, XM radio, bosch wipers, Recon smoked cab lights, Edge Insight w/EGT probe, winter front.

06/10 ARP studs, turbo back silverline, new head gaskets, new oil cooler, upgraded turbo drain, fuel pressure reg upgrade, coolant filter, high idle mod, harpoon mod, pre-pump spin on fuel filter,ELC coolant, 6.4 banjo bolts, CCV reroute.

Truck weight empty fueled up, 4440 Front, 3040 rear, 7480 gross. Hex VXCF4,
SCT w/customs tunes from Vivian at Quick Tricks and Matt @ gearhead
http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59122.png
worldwide73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdotson View Post
Hmm well I might just say forget it and deal with it next spring, summer is almost over and I can deal with the heat for a little while lol. Thanks for the info guys.
If your gonna wait, then I would take the connection off the clutch. That way this winter when you put the defrost on, it doesn't engage the compressor.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your gonna wait, then I would take the connection off the clutch. That way this winter when you put the defrost on, it doesn't engage the compressor.
Ok thanks a ton for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.