RPM's Going Haywire + Power Loss - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RPM's Going Haywire + Power Loss

Hey all,

Long time lurker here (as guest). Wanted to share a problem I'm having and get some opinions. Searched the forums up and down and believe this may be related to the several 'power surge' topics but here I go anyway.

I've got an '05 F-350 6.0, all stock. 26,000+ miles

I recently have been experiencing problems while sitting at stop lights and such where the RPM's start fluctuating between 500 - 1500 (the truck wants to GO when they fluctuate upwards, similar to the other power surge threads I've read). Yesterday this started happening again. When the light turned green, I hit the accelerator and NOTHING happened. I had to idle drive through the light (how embarrassing) and was able to pull over and after a minute or two the problem cleared and I was able to zoom away. It was as if something wasn't telling the engine to fire diesel into the cylinders or something. The worse part is this is an intermittent problem. Drove fine last night.

I've already had it at the dealer once and they cleaned the turbocharger (I was doubtful about that solution and now I know it didn't fix it). I also had them do my 30k maintenance to make sure it wasn't a fuel filter or something.

So I'm bringing it back into the dealer on Monday (assuming I don't stall out). The dealership seems reputable but this seems like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Any suggestions I can give to the mechanic

Thanks,
Mike
KroolDeath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: RPM's Going Haywire + Power Loss

ICP sensor perhaps...mine did the same thing, and thats what they found.

2005 F-350 4x4 Lariat FX4 SRW --- New Ride
Skoalbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks! That is what I was thinking based upon what I've read in the forums (and trust me I've read all the way to the end trying to get info).

Mike
Old 06-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I Concur with the ICP being your problem. Though not as much a problem with 2005 model year engines, the sensors can still fail, and do! I repaired one last Friday for an intermittent surge complaint. I also had a 2003 last week that kept the idle at 950 RPM and did a few other strange things that threw me off.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks again. I tell ya I love this truck, but getting nervous now. Supposed to be hauling my 5th wheel to Kentucky Lake this Friday for some vacation time (week and a half) with the family and if this happens while I'm hauling I'm in big trouble.

We'll see what the service department comes up with. Of course, it didn't happen today while I was driving it to the dealership. I swear it only happens when its really hot out (wasn't too hot today) but I think people think I'm crazy on that one. lol

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

My ICP just got replaced, same symptoms, should throw a p2285 code. They cleaned the turbo and did a flash. Running better than new now.

be
Old 06-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hmmm, just called the dealer to give them some "back seat mechanic" advise about the ICP and was told it is fixed after replacing the VGT solenoid.

We'll see.

Thanks all
Mike
Old 06-19-2007, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Nope not fixed. Stalled out on the way home from work. Let my foot off the throttle because I was going downhill, RPM's started fluctating between 500 - 1500. Dropped to 250 and stalled. Able to start it back up, rough idle at about 500 RPM's, put it in drive and just sat there. Pressed the pedal...nothing...

Finally after about 15 minutes the RPM's climbed to normal and was able to go although it just didn't feel right after that escapade.

I think my vacation is going to go bye-bye

Mike
Old 06-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

KroolDeath

Maybe you should just purchase an ICP sensor and install it yourself to see if it solves your problem.

Yeah, I know, why should you spend your own money to fix your vehicle if it is under warranty. Just a thought.
Manual idle-up switch
(placing power onto PCM PTO wire)
Fumoto valve
Skweeker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Lol, that never occured to me to replace it myself.

Well back at the dealer this morning. These guys have opened up their schedule to get me back in so I really appreciate it so kudos to the dearlership (now if they can just fix it).

I got lucky today, right when I pulled into the dealership it started happening. Ran in there, got a mechanic and showed the problem to him. So he saw it firsthand. Questioned him about the ICP sensor. He acknowledged that could be the source.

Mike
Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well folks, they replaced the ICP sensor. The problem actually started happening while they were examining it, they yanked the ICP and the RPM's settled. Replaced it and all seems fine. Crossing fingers of course as it was intermittent.

However, I'd like to thank everyone for their assistance. Everyone was saying ICP sensor and that it was it appears to be. I also have to give kudo's to the dealer. Now some may say it took them three tries, but damn, it was a needle in a haystack trying to find.

So thanks all!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.