Rusted out oil pan 6.0 ??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rusted out oil pan 6.0 ???

Hey Guys, quick question after just replacing both rear backing plates , rotors from being rotted out to dust thought i would look around a bit under the truck , up here in New england we have been getting killed with the new liquid de icer crap they use on the road it is eating our trucks alive, anyhow the oil pan is getting pretty crusty the past couple of years i have been smearing grease and oil on it trying to slow down the rusting process its not leaking yet but the flakes i took off were pretty thick and im concerened ,

I have read in certain posts that you can get the pan out from the chassis without removing the engine is this true , it is an 04 f350 4x4 dump truck . I am a former 15 year GM tech so i have mechanical experience just wanted to know what type of job it is and if its worth doing in my driveway on my back or pony up and let ford do it , also does anyone know the ford book time on this job ,

thank you
Vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

I won't post the Ford book time to do the job, but I will tell you it IS a job that can be tackled in your driveway if you have the experience you indicate. Simply remove the engine mount bolts. Jack the engine up about a 1/2" on the crank pulley using a block of wood between the jack and pulley of course. Remove all the 8mm bolts securing the oil pan to the upper pan. Slide the pan down and rearward to the point where you have access to the two 8mm bolts that secure the oil pickup. Remove the oil pickup and remove the pan. Installation is just the reverse of removal.
m-chan68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

rusty oil pan

rusted out so far :
trans cooler lines
p/steering cooler lines
rear brake line
fuel filler tube
ac comp tubes
power steering pump lines

could be more.

my 03 see's allot of snow plowing

my 2000 ccab 7.3 ,, looks great undernieth. except the rear diff cover

Last edited by 24hrsparkey; 08-11-2010 at 08:26 PM.
24hrsparkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the input, makes me feel better that you dont have to pull the engine to get it out like the 7.3 . not leaking but at least i know its not the end of the world when it needs to be done , Ive got an idea for ford and others STAINLESS steel can you imaging if they only made certain parts out of stainless would cost all that much , oil pans, backing plates , brake lines fuel lines , us truck guys would like that very much .
Vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.