Scan Gauge II - Readings ok? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Scan Gauge II - Readings ok?

Ok, got my new toy...hooked up and went on first camping trip for 2011.
Camper weight about 11k lbs
Configured XGauges to read;
Dependent on grade...ambient temp 72
TFT (Trans Fluid Temp) 155 - 178
ECT (Eng Coolant Temp) 192 - 220
EOT (Eng Oil Temp) 198 - 239
BST (Boost psi) 0 - 22...then tilts with bogus -values
These seem normal?...
Side story, on way home pulling really steep grade, on throttle heavy...there was a loud "bang" followed by no power and no boost, yet no turbo whine like before when CAC boot at turbo blew off. Struggled up grade at 15mph into rest stop. Popped hood latch, got out, search reveled final hose connection to intake pipe off. Turn to wife with comment "need socket wrench" walk to curb side door to open door and turn off truck... Uh, Oh...its locked and gazing to other three they are too. No problem ask wife standing next to me, do you have extra key? Resp. yes, ahhh, good and where are they? Resp. is in truck right there...oh, crap! So...anyone have a used rear center slider window I can purchase cheap? Yup, I'll be cleaning up those glass chard's for a long time. Moral of story, roll down window before exiting truck with it idling to cool down.
Stock 03 6.0, F250 Crew SB, 4x4 P/U, 109,400 miles, Scan Gauge II (TFT, ECT, EOT, BST), Fuel press blue spring U/G, HFCM water separator Drain plug, BD Diesel Performance Intake Hose & Clamp Kit, Shell Rotella T6 5w-40, Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost, Autoenginuity Enhanced Ford & GM Interfaces
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Sounds like me and my wife! LOL
Heres a hint to help with the boots blowing off. Use the wifes nail polish remover to really clean the tube that it blew off of, then grab her hair spray and spray the end of the tube. Let that dry for a minute or so, then reinstall your boot.
That will hold it, believe it or not.
ex mounty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck View Post
BST (Boost psi) 0 - 22
TFT looks great
ECT is as expected
EOT hmmm, that depends, more in a second
Boost is as expected as well

The real test here is reading the ECT and EOT at the same time and recording the delta. These readings can help prevent serious damage from a failed EGR cooler/oil cooler combo. They fail together, oil cooler takes out the EGR cooler.
ex mounty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd be more interested in seeing ECT vs. EOT numbers without the trailer. Take it out on the open road for 15-20 minutes at pretty steady speeds (60-70) and see what the delta is. Should be 15* or less.

That ScanGaugeII is a neat little tool, ain't it? I have the programming for about 70 different values (Ford PID's) you can watch with it. Let me know if you're interested.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck View Post
Ok, got my new toy...hooked up and went on first camping trip for 2011.
Camper weight about 11k lbs
Configured XGauges to read;
Dependent on grade...ambient temp 72
BST (Boost psi) 0 - 22...then tilts with bogus -values
These seem normal?...
Ive been running the same #'s towing a 5er. I also see a 16* -20* spread on my ECT and EOT at 65mph for 30 mile flat land runs. Dealer says Im fine...... I have no wrench lights or CEL lights and the truck pulls like a raped ape.

Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Edge Insight CTS w/ Fuel Pressure, EGT and Turbo Timer
Blue Spring Upgrade
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
High Idle Mod
Mag-Hytec 6 Quart Diff Cover
Bilstein Shocks & Dual Stabilizer
285 70 17 Toyo's
Airlift Air Bags
18k Pullrite Superglide

06 Gearbox 295FS
00 Harley FLHR
06 KTM 525 EXC
06 Rhino 660
jeffws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

ex_monty & dieselmac...agree I do need to run 15min solo to get ECT-EOT delta. I can say towing "suggests" I'm good as while towing that 11k trailer on a long flat run the delta was around 15 degrees and when under hard pulls with my foot into about 3/4 throttle it would go to about 19 degrees. I've downloaded the pdf with the Xgauge code listing and recently found on a scan gauge forum an alternate Xgauge for extended range boost labeled as psi. I tried to get the truck to go over 22 psi but found solo that means I need to find a really aggressive grade 20.7 psi and I'm running out of road 70mph and climbing! I don't need to drive that fast. I'm going to use the wife's make-up supplies to reseat that hose. Thanks.
Stock 03 6.0, F250 Crew SB, 4x4 P/U, 109,400 miles, Scan Gauge II (TFT, ECT, EOT, BST), Fuel press blue spring U/G, HFCM water separator Drain plug, BD Diesel Performance Intake Hose & Clamp Kit, Shell Rotella T6 5w-40, Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost, Autoenginuity Enhanced Ford & GM Interfaces
Old 05-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (64)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmac View Post
I'd be more interested in seeing ECT vs. EOT numbers without the trailer. Take it out on the open road for 15-20 minutes at pretty steady speeds (60-70) and see what the delta is. Should be 15* or less.

That ScanGaugeII is a neat little tool, ain't it? I have the programming for about 70 different values (Ford PID's) you can watch with it. Let me know if you're interested.
I'm interested. PM sent. Thanks.
Eng Bld: 02/03/05 Indianapolis
2745 Hrs +/-, 97K Miles - No Major Probs
DC Power 185 Alternator
ZOODAD, SEIC,
Atlas 40 FICM @ 90K
4" Banks Turbo-Back Duals
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315 - 70R17 Duratrac's
Centramatics
Bodiak Front Receiver
SG2
Coolant Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W Oil added 1oz/Gallon Fuel
Band_Member is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Numbers look great! WHAT I want to see is the Youtube Video of you smashing your window My wife would have given me the I told you so all the way home

THAT is the specific reason I love keyless entry.
2012 6.7 DRW Lariat 4x4 crew, tuxedo metallic black with black leather interior. Factory installed gooseneck prep. 8,000 Miles and still satisfied! (Warranty items so far - Rear tailgate emblem, drivers exterior mirror, steering box, front tow hook)
Munfrobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Do you have the alternate code for the boost. Mine goes wacky after 20-21 also.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 03:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (64)
My SG2 shows negative boost also. I believe you need a mechanical boost gauge if you really need to monitor your boost pressure.
Eng Bld: 02/03/05 Indianapolis
2745 Hrs +/-, 97K Miles - No Major Probs
DC Power 185 Alternator
ZOODAD, SEIC,
Atlas 40 FICM @ 90K
4" Banks Turbo-Back Duals
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315 - 70R17 Duratrac's
Centramatics
Bodiak Front Receiver
SG2
Coolant Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W Oil added 1oz/Gallon Fuel
Band_Member is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have yet to validate the comment that it has extended range but this is what I've set one of the spare memory locations;
MAP is a standard gauge - but this XGauge is actually better than the standard one. It has a larger range which was needed because the standard gauge tops out around 37 psi absolute (about 22 lbs of boost), which diesels have no problem doing. This one should read well beyond 22lbs of boost.

Manifold Absolute Pressure
TXD: 07E0221440
RXF: 046285140640
RXD: 3010
MTH: 012203200000
NAM: PSI

With a little tweaking you can adjust this to read boost as you said.

To do this, just plug in the MAP code - get a reading from it with the key in the on position but the engine off, then based on the reading changed the last 4 digits of the MTH to whatever corresponds to your reading on this table

14.0 -- FF74
14.1 -- FF73
14.2 -- FF72
14.3 -- FF71
14.4 -- FF70
14.5 -- FF6F
14.6 -- FF6E
14.7 -- FF6D
14.8 -- FF6C
14.9 -- FF6B
15.0 -- FF6A

So, for example if you got a reading of 14.5 PSI with key on engine off you'd change the MTH to 01220320FF6F and the reading should read 0.0 with key on engine off and would then show how many lbs of boost you were at when the vehicle is running.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Can't the scan gauge unit read the MGP (Manifold Gauge Pressure)? Or, is that not a PID available on the 6.0?

I ask because on the 6.4 the MGP PID reads actual corrected boost. I have to admit though, this is on a DD, not a Scan Gauge.
Redneck Fiber Works is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm driving an 03, I think the MGP came later...so for us we have to use the MAP and convert it to boost as described in my previous post.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thankfully, atmospheric pressure doesn't change enough to warrant "recalibration" from sea level to say, 7000 feet. IIRC, it's about 3.3PSI difference.
Redneck Fiber Works is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have a 04 F350 93k towing 14.5k. The oil cooler has been changed. My ECT/EOT delta is 12 to 18 during all towing conditions. My trans has never gone over 185.
kirbybear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.