Serpintine belt - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Serpintine belt

Just letting eveyrone know the Goodyear Gatorback belt that lists for the 03 with a/c single alt. is too long and will make an awful racket at idle. Dayco and Gates list a shorter one. I will putting on the shorter one on Monday?.. we will see how it turns out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
K3 F350 6.0l 4x4, Crew cab, Lariat, shortbox, T.red, 285 BFG All Terrains, Sirius Radio, SS Grille, Silverstar fog and headlights, Boost and Fuel pressure gauges-Lunar Series Autometer. KYB MonoMax shocks 5w40 Delvac 1 14.7 mpg town.
Sushibar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Re: Serpintine belt

That belt isn't one I'd like to do twice for a part number foul up. Good info.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
That belt isn't one I'd like to do twice for a part number foul up. Good info.

[/ QUOTE ]

WURD
Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Speakin of how difficult it is to change, I was charged 243.00 to do it last time, and yes if I had used the FoMoCo belt I wouldn't be asking this again.

Any easy tips, tricks to change it with the fan shroud removed, or is it possible but laborious to do the hard way?.

The good thing is I can return the other belt though.

"My Grandpa did the hard way so it must be the right way" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] just joking

A guy told me once not to think outside the box but to think intelligently while your in it.

Any help would be really appreciated.
K3 F350 6.0l 4x4, Crew cab, Lariat, shortbox, T.red, 285 BFG All Terrains, Sirius Radio, SS Grille, Silverstar fog and headlights, Boost and Fuel pressure gauges-Lunar Series Autometer. KYB MonoMax shocks 5w40 Delvac 1 14.7 mpg town.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Look HERE!
2004 SunnyBrook Solanta 28' TT small slide 7800#

35 Years in the trenches!
Retired Machinist & Manufacturing Engineer for fuel control systems for very large Diesel Engines. Locomotives to Super Tankers.

Designed and trouble shot manufacturing processes for stuff from Design Engineers. Sometimes had to wrestle for design changes.
Designed and built tools and equipment to machine, assemble, disassemble, repair and test.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
"Nothing is FOOLPROOF because fools are too ingenious"-Mark Twain
johnmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2006, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Re: Serpintine belt...........Thank you.

Thanks for being so quick, and the advice I really, really appreciate it.

Jon
Old 12-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Got her out 15 mins, no blood, no cussin'( I'm sure that will be when I put her back in. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks again

Jon.

I'll let you know if the Dayco belt howls as well.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

GDY 4081265 too long

Dayco Poly cog Gold label, 5081260 fits and is somewhat shorter than the Goodyear.

Anyways just trying to prevent someone from going the the hassle.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

I normally just pull up hard on the belt and slip it off the alternator. Put on the new belt and when I pull up on the belt I have a friend pop it back on the pulley. A mechanics glove helps get a good grip.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Re: Serpintine belt.....

Drove the truck about 50 miles today, Dayco belt is tighter and it does howl, but very slightly not enough to worry about. The Goodyear was very annoying.

I think the howling is due to the cross cut pieces, the Ford belt doesn't have that hatching and it never howled.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmart View Post
Look HERE!

This link did not help. Does anybody have a link to good instructions for changing the serpentine belt on a 2003 6 liter single alternator?
Thanks in advance!
2008 Polaris RZR w/2010 MCX Turboed motor
2002 Polaris Scrambler 500 H.O.
prayingforluck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just an FYI - The proper Goodyear belt # is 4081258.

That is 125.8 inches instead of the 126.5 inch long belt of the previous GDY part number post.

I bet (hope) that is the difference since I just bought the Goodyear belt.

Remove the belt tensioner, that will give you room - but it is still tedious.

Procedure:
Reach over from the passenger side with your left arm and grab the belt just above the tensioner and pull hard enough to be able to flip up the spring loaded locking tab on the underside of the tensioner up (This takes some muscle, but not too bad). OR ... you can use a 1/2" drive torque wrench, or the proper OEM tool to turn the tensioner.

You can use a long flat head screw driver to flip it up with your right arm and lock it in place, but better to have a partner!! Now you have enough slack to pop the belt off the top side of the alternator pulley. Pop the belt off the rest of the pulleys and then you have to crawl under the truck and remove the belt from the crankshaft pulley folding it sideways and forward so you can lift it up and out from the top side of the truck (Same side as tensioner). You have to fold it sideways to get enough clearance to slip it past the fan shroud. After you get the belt off, inspect all the pulleys for noise, play and roughness. I replaced both of the tensioner pulley bearings (6203-2RS) for about $10. I think the water pump and idler pulley bearings are also the same bearing. The bearings are easily pressed out, just make sure you press them back out of the tapered side or you will expand bearing retaining hole making the pulley useless (Side that has the rounded edges where the bearing sits). Getting the serpentine belt back on is a little more tricky. The upper side of the radiator support on my 06 has a diagram that helped. Insert the belt smooth side up, beginning from the right side of the truck. Pull a loop over the tensioner pulley. Then go over the AC compressor. Go around the idler closest to you and then over the alternator. Hardest part is probably getting the belt around the smooth side tensioner pulley and a/c compressor pulley. Once everything is lined up properly (Triple check this or you will destroy the belt), yank HARD again on the belt in the same place you did to release the tension. This time you can use both hands or your right hand to do it if you want. The tensioner clip will pop back out of place automatically. DON'T PRY the clip back down, you WILL break or damage the clip - it is CHEAPLY made!
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Just an FYI - The proper Goodyear belt # is 4081258.

That is 125.8 inches instead of the 126.5 inch long belt of the previous GDY part number post.

I bet (hope) that is the difference since I just bought the Goodyear belt.

Remove the belt tensioner, that will give you room - but it is still tedious.

Procedure:
Reach over from the passenger side with your left arm and grab the belt just above the tensioner and pull hard enough to be able to flip up the spring loaded locking tab on the underside of the tensioner up (This takes some muscle, but not too bad). OR ... you can use a 1/2" drive torque wrench, or the proper OEM tool to turn the tensioner.

You can use a long flat head screw driver to flip it up with your right arm and lock it in place, but better to have a partner!! Now you have enough slack to pop the belt off the top side of the alternator pulley. Pop the belt off the rest of the pulleys and then you have to crawl under the truck and remove the belt from the crankshaft pulley folding it sideways and forward so you can lift it up and out from the top side of the truck (Same side as tensioner). You have to fold it sideways to get enough clearance to slip it past the fan shroud. After you get the belt off, inspect all the pulleys for noise, play and roughness. I replaced both of the tensioner pulley bearings (6203-2RS) for about $10. I think the water pump and idler pulley bearings are also the same bearing. The bearings are easily pressed out, just make sure you press them back out of the tapered side or you will expand bearing retaining hole making the pulley useless (Side that has the rounded edges where the bearing sits). Getting the serpentine belt back on is a little more tricky. The upper side of the radiator support on my 06 has a diagram that helped. Insert the belt smooth side up, beginning from the right side of the truck. Pull a loop over the tensioner pulley. Then go over the AC compressor. Go around the idler closest to you and then over the alternator. Hardest part is probably getting the belt around the smooth side tensioner pulley and a/c compressor pulley. Once everything is lined up properly (Triple check this or you will destroy the belt), yank HARD again on the belt in the same place you did to release the tension. This time you can use both hands or your right hand to do it if you want. The tensioner clip will pop back out of place automatically. DON'T PRY the clip back down, you WILL break or damage the clip - it is CHEAPLY made!

Thanks alot Mark, I will give it a shot tomorrow. I have a 081265 Gates belt from NAPA. My OEM belt has 94,000 miles on it with no issues but I want to change it as I am going on a vacation towing my travel trailer here real soon. This why I like forums, always somebody willing to help!
2008 Polaris RZR w/2010 MCX Turboed motor
2002 Polaris Scrambler 500 H.O.
prayingforluck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
FK..... i just broke my damn belt tensioner. had a tool in the right place bt put too much pressure to the wrong side i guess. i pulled it down. counter clock wise and it broke.. now i need a new one.. if anyone have one pls pm me. thanks
4" Lift on 20x12x35's
-Autometer boost gauge
-autometer Pyrometer gauge
-Banks 6 gun + speed loader
-k&N intake
-Runs on B-100
1badf250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

$90 at TousleyFordParts.com
Tensioner pulley - dual alternator 3C2Z-6B209-BA
Tensioner pulley - single alternator F series 3C2Z-6B209-AA
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.