Should I trust the air filter pressure gauge ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I trust the air filter pressure gauge ?

I was just wondering whether or not I should trust the accuracy of the air filter pressure guage with respect to when to change my air filter.

Thanks
-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2007, 12:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Should I trust the air filter pressure gauge ?

Why not? Very few cause problems, and they don't move much because the filters last a LONG time.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

I recently read on this forum that they can hold up to 3lbs of dirt. I was weary of it before, but I trust it now.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I recently read on this forum that they can hold up to 3lbs of dirt. I was weary of it before, but I trust it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the stock Donaldson filter will stop 99.99% of dirt and soot the size of 1 micron and larger and it can hold approximately 3-lbs of it. Glad you were paying attention! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

gold star to darsey715.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

This was a "Ford Q & A" that was recently released and posted by a trusted diesel tech on another site. This sums things up pretty good.

6.0L & 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Super Duty and Excursion Air Filtration Q&A

Q : Don't all filters stop the same amount of contaminants from getting into the engine and turbo?

A: Absolutely not! The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filters, produced by Donaldson Company, Inc., stop 99.99% of contaminants the size of one micron or larger. Some aftermarket filters trap only 95%. What does this mean to an owner? Driven in the same conditions, a 95% filter would pass 50 grams of contaminant through to the engine that would be trapped by the OE filters! Even a 99.00% filter would pass 10 grams of contaminant. This could mean an early end to your engine or turbo.

Q: Won't aftermarket airbox modifications, which use a lower priced filter, save me money?

A: Don't be fooled by aftermarket tactics of comparing the cost of one filter because you also need to know how often you'll need to change filters. The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filters hold more than three pounds of dust, dirt and soot. The aftermarket kits tested by Donaldson Company, Inc. held about half this amount. And don't forget, if these aftermarket replacement filters are less than 99.99% efficient, they pass some contaminant through to the engine that the OE filter would have stopped!

Q: How frequently do the 6.0L and 6.4L OE air filters need to be changed?

A: Everybody's driving habits and environments are different. Owners/Dealers should check the air filter restriction gauge (located on the upper housing of the air cleaner assembly) at each oil change interval to determine when the filter needs to be changed. Some vehicles also have a dash light that will illuminate when the filter needs to be changed. No replacement is necessary until the filter minder (or dash light) gives indication.

Q: My filter minder doesn't seem to move, so shouldn't I check or change the filter to be safe?

A: The filter minder is a gauge that starts registering only after the filter reaches a certain point of being filled. This is why owners do not see it consistently move (like a gas gauge). Rest assured, the filter minder works and there is no reason to check on the filter by removing the airbox cover, thereby increasing the risk of contaminants entering the air intake system. Remember, the 6.0L and 6.4L OE air filters hold more than three pounds of contaminant so it will take some time to fill!

Q: I want maximum airflow through the system to provide more power. Don't some aftermarket filters provide more airflow than the 6.0L or 6.4L OE air filters?

A: Airflow should not be the determining factor in buying a filter. Think about it: would you ever operate without a filter in place even though you'd get maximum air flow? High airflow generally means the filter is less efficient at stopping contaminants, too. Owners should instead look for the combination of three factors: airflow, how small of contaminant the filter will stop, and how much contaminant the filter will hold. The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filtration systems provide a great combination and it comes standard on all Super Duty and Excursion trucks!

Q: If the 6.0L and 6.4L OE filtration systems are so effective and efficient, why would anybody pay to modify them?

A: Excellent question. It makes no sense to pay hard earned money to go backwards in technology especially considering that such modifications may even put future warranty repairs in jeopardy. You invested in your 6.0L or 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel truck to provide years of dependable service. Ford engineered it with a great filtration. So just why would anyone pay to modify it?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

You better believe you can. I have been driving this truck nearly four years and the restriction gauge is pretty accurate. Donaldson and FMC hit a home run with this filter setup. Drive and enjoy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
6.0 PSD XLT, 4x4 SC FX4 LT265's 3:73 LS/Torqshift
LineX Bedliner Hog Catback Exhaust Virtual Billet Grill Tranny tune by ID
<font color="blue">05/05/03 Build date

-----------------------------
<font color="blue"> Anchors Aweigh
tincan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via Yahoo to Texrob1

3Lbs Of dust &amp; debris!! That's a dang good filter,I thought my truck felt a little heavier up front,must be time to change the filter LOL. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

[ QUOTE ]
gold star to darsey715.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well, I have a different opinion of the filter gauge--to me, its just like the engine temp, when it moves, its too late.

Twice I had my '04 in for service--tech advised air filter needed changing--filter gauge never moved. So, who is right--gauge or tech?
And the gauge would move if pulled off and checked.

I believe in the filter, but not the gauge.
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Gauge. The tech is just trying to get more money out of you. How did the tech know it "needed changing"? Did he flow test it? Did he weigh it? The manual says 30k is the normal interval. When I puled my first one at 28k, it still looked clean. I'll wait for the filter minder for the next one.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Gauge. The tech is just trying to get more money out of you. How did the tech know it "needed changing"? Did he flow test it? Did he weigh it? The manual says 30k is the normal interval. When I puled my first one at 28k, it still looked clean. I'll wait for the filter minder for the next one.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. Ever notice the folks that take their vehicles to Jipme Lube, my mother for one, how the tech always states the "air cleaner needs changing" and the $9 air filter becomes $32.50 installed?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

I trust the filter minder. I would love to stick a wet rag in the intake just to see if it moves but I don't have the guts to do that, for the turbo sitting right there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Kentucky built 2004 Silver F-250 XL Reg Cab PSD, 4X2, bench cloth seat,air conditioning, 6 spd Manual, 3.73 LS,Line-X , FORD receiver, Prodigy brake controller,towing option,( put together on Monday, March 29, del April 9 2004) 62000 miles
ta152h0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

The filtering efficiency of an air filter increases as it fills up with dirt. So, up until the guage actually starts to move, the filter is actually doing a better &amp; better job of cleaning the incoming air.

- Jay
Diesel Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Those gauges are much more accurate than the guy who wants to sell a filter. As filters fill up though, the rate of decrease in flow increases. Those are excellent responses. I go through a lot of filter issues in a country with only 5% paved roads. Some pics and procedures on http://www.widman.biz for those who can handle the spanish.
If you really don't trust the gauge, go by the old way - when you start to lose power at high rpm.
Changing to less resistant filters, like K&amp;N will definitely give you more wear (I've documented it), and very little power increase, since your fuel flow is set anyway.

Selection of the Right Motor Oil
widman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.