**sigh**..multiple leaks - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DmanISgnarly
**sigh**..multiple leaks

I bought this truck as my dream truck while deployed in Afghanistan. I get home a 3 years later it's all to hell. Picked up my buddy in a snowstorm the other night and had a little fun in the snow on the way home. Next morning, I look under the truck and there are about 4 different puddles

Any idea on what these leak(s) are?

There is a leak on the drivers side of the fuel bowl between the bowl and some sort of plate. Also, looks to be fuel in the valley beside the bowl.

Power steering leak on bottom of hydroboost, brakes pulse and the power steering whines while the truck is being turned(low on fluid from leak).

Power steering leak around belts. Seems to be some sort of grinding noise like a bearing is going bad. Maybe bad hose?
Here's a video of sound

Oil leak somewhere on the passenger side front of motor. Dunno where its coming from but the bottom of the hood is sprayed and the bottom of the alternator is sprayed so it leads me to believe its coming from somewhere and hitting the belts.

Lastly, there seems to be an oil leak on the back of the bell housing coming down onto the oil pan. Would this be from a bad seal on the turbo lube line?( I had the turbo off 2 years ago for the EGR delete and it's been marking its territory since with a dime sized spot)

I'm almost ready to pull the plug on my 6.0 and buy either a frontier or tacoma
2004 F350 Lariat 4x4 Superduty Dually. 143K, 19.5'' Wheels,ear blistering audio system,full egr delete, CCV mod, Zoodad mod, high idle mod, HID's, EDGE Juice w/Attitude Platinum, Recon cab lights, TSC toolbox, Double rhino lined, prodigy tow box, turn over ball

A bunch of motorcycles, a bombshell wife, and a personal armory

Last edited by DmanISgnarly; 01-24-2013 at 04:52 PM.
DmanISgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ritschner
I would start with the power steering pump. The fan belt will throw it everywhere and the fan blast will push it into the valley. It is very possible you only have one leak.
White 06 F350 Lariet CC 2WD DRW Tow Boss, Timbren SES, Bilsteins, Smiths Ultimate Bedliner, RK Tool Box, CondensorGuard, IntakeMod, S&B Intake, SEIC, Banks 4"TB, Accufab, Edge Attitude CS, Blue Spring Mod, Rebuilt FICM, STC and Standpipe update, Harpoon Mod, Coolant Filter, Glove Box Light, Hood Insulator, Rewired Mirror Heat, Seat Heater Indicator.
ritschner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't have any advice, just wanted to say thank you for your service.
Stolen and I've never been happier to file a police report-05 F350, 6.0, K&N intake, Magna Flow 4", Edge Insight CTS, Sinister bypass coolant/oil filter system, Sinister EGR cooler delete w/up pipe, Sinister oil cooler replacement.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
I suggest a GOOD cleaning with a de-greaser and check all the areas again. The power steering is pretty obvious source for one leak. It just may be the source of ALL the leaks.

From 20yrs of Army aviation maintenance I have found leaks from a single source in several different areas. All seemed to be different sources but in the end it was only one component requiring replacement. I'm betting the PS leaked onto the belts, then got slung ALL over the place.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

No advice other than what's already been said. Just wanted to say thanks for your service and welcome home!!!!
2012 F350 CC Cab/Chassis with 10' Knapheid tool box
2006 F250 CC Lariat with ARE construction cap
2007 F350 CC Lariat with 8' Knapheid tool box
2005 F350 CC King Ranch with ARE construction ca
And, sorry to mention on this forum
Two 2012 Nissan NV3500 High Roof cargo vans
Cell1Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome home thanks for yer service. At least they didn't spit on ya when ya came home. Sorry still a little bitterness there I guess.
dannyboy950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

There was only gratitude at the Vietnam Vet welcome home parade in Chicago about 20 years back. But it was 20 years late. Thank you both for your service.
Words of Advice: Read and Learn.
buster12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Anyone who wears OR has worn a uniform for THIS country is MY HERO!!! You have kept the armies of darkness from marching all over the face of the earth. Hope you get her fixed asap... Sorry I can't point out the leak for ya...Bill
03 F-250 CC LB XLT 3:73 rear/ almost stock/ early build/ 78,000 miles...03 F-250 ext cab Lariat Fx4 SB 3:73's /stock/187,000 all original injectors...FICM by Ed @FICM.COM / ScanGuage 2 monitoring the vitals...
03powerstrokeuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DmanISgnarly
Thanks guys, I got of support when I was deployed on here about answering questions before I purchased my rig, glad to still feel welcomed. I am out of the service now. I was only in 4 years but spent 2 in theater; 2 deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan back to back with a 6 month break was taking it's toll on my personal and family life.

I'm currently going to school on my VA benefits so I have little left over monthly being a married college student. Having a truck that eats money is killing me. The economy was great when I got it, diesel hasn't left 4 dollars for half a year where I live. I can't afford too many more fixes on my truck. It's sad I really love this thing.

It snowed and iced here all day so I haven't got to pull my truck in the garage. I'll report back when it warms up a little later next week. I'll definitely heed to some of the sugestions!
2004 F350 Lariat 4x4 Superduty Dually. 143K, 19.5'' Wheels,ear blistering audio system,full egr delete, CCV mod, Zoodad mod, high idle mod, HID's, EDGE Juice w/Attitude Platinum, Recon cab lights, TSC toolbox, Double rhino lined, prodigy tow box, turn over ball

A bunch of motorcycles, a bombshell wife, and a personal armory
DmanISgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cover your electronics before spraying engine. I suggest ECM behind drivers side battery, relays back of engine compartment drivers side, FICM drivers side above valve caver back. use plastic bags to cover.
These are high maintance trucks, especially on a budget.

Thank you for your service.
upfitter /w
high idle mod
back up camera
rear back-up lights
Blue spring and banjo bolt mod
Edge insite cts
new interstate batteries / may have hurt FICM
only Ford filters
Flushed/ CAT coolant
low coolant temps
two new thermostats
new coolant senser/ still LOW COOLANT TEMPS
mobile one oil/ going back to rotella T-6
REV-X / helped stiction
ARCH OIL AR 9100 /stiction cured so far 27*
ARCH OIL AR 6200 / @ 2 mpg increase

Last edited by 2stroked out; 01-27-2013 at 01:53 PM.
2stroked out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmanISgnarly View Post
I bought this truck as my dream truck while deployed in Afghanistan. I get home a 3 years later it's all to hell. Picked up my buddy in a snowstorm the other night and had a little fun in the snow on the way home. Next morning, I look under the truck and there are about 4 different puddles

Any idea on what these leak(s) are?

There is a leak on the drivers side of the fuel bowl between the bowl and some sort of plate. Also, looks to be fuel in the valley beside the bowl.

Power steering leak on bottom of hydroboost, brakes pulse and the power steering whines while the truck is being turned(low on fluid from leak).

Power steering leak around belts. Seems to be some sort of grinding noise like a bearing is going bad. Maybe bad hose?
Here's a video of sound

Oil leak somewhere on the passenger side front of motor. Dunno where its coming from but the bottom of the hood is sprayed and the bottom of the alternator is sprayed so it leads me to believe its coming from somewhere and hitting the belts.

Lastly, there seems to be an oil leak on the back of the bell housing coming down onto the oil pan. Would this be from a bad seal on the turbo lube line?( I had the turbo off 2 years ago for the EGR delete and it's been marking its territory since with a dime sized spot)

I'm almost ready to pull the plug on my 6.0 and buy either a frontier or tacoma
First, Thank You for your service. Second, from the photo's, it looks like your fuel pressure regulator o-ring (Ford base part# 9C065)or the secondary fuel filter cap/o-ring is leaking diesel fuel. The leaking fuel will get blown all over the front of the motor from the VDF and will start leaking down the front and driver side front of the engine. It is best to repair the fuel leak and clean the engine before attempting to isolate or repair the other fluid leaks.

"Some of the most amazing accomplishments are performed by people too stupid to know they were impossible."
fusaichi pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Do the "blue spring" upgrade. It will contain all of the parts to stop your fuel leak as the previous poster said, and will also increase the fuel pressure to save the injectors. Not expensive if you shop for it. Tousey Ford has them.

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator replacement, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors and replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13.
Ford06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.