Slick 50 oil treatment - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slick 50 oil treatment

Would anyone have experience using the diesel Slick 50 oil treatment in the PSD? May be a good idea for cold starts etc...Any thoughts? Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Re: Slick 50 oil treatment

I would not do it. What will PTFE or what ever it is do when pressurized by the HPOP and passes through the injectors?

Edited:
Or what will it do when exposed to the heat of the turbo?

White '99+ F250 SD XLT 4x2 SRW, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed
(mods listed in comments under photo in above link)
olddieseldude is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone have experience using the diesel Slick 50 oil treatment in the PSD? May be a good idea for cold starts etc...Any thoughts? Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]You are better off buying a lottery ticket than wasting your money on that crap!
sicaj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh I dunno. That stuff is pretty thick and tacky. I would think it would make the cold start romping worse than it already is with these engines.
Maybe some 6.0's are as picky as mine, I dunno. I tried Mobil1's(which I think is one of the best synthetics around) SUV/Turbo diesel synthetic, and thought I was gonna have to chain my truck down to keep it from rolling over 'cause it romped so hard. I stick to straight synthetic Rotella or motorcraft oil now, with no additives.

2006 F350 CC LWB Dually XLT Oxford white manual 4x4 6.0 PSD 6 speed. 4.10 LS front and rear, Built May05. 4" turbo back, 55 gal aux fuel tank. A real pig from a stop, give me 15' and she'll slowly come to life, then watch out!
165K miles, 12 injectors, EGR cooler, Fuel pump, 8 glow plugs, GPCM, FICM rebuilt FoMoCo engine at 150K under 7/200 warranty.
RatherBNtheWoods is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
You are better off buying a lottery ticket than wasting your money on that crap!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] and you may end up buying some new injectors in the future also. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Past 2002 F-350 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, Toreador
Red, 7.3L, Auto, DRW, Fully Loaded.

Past 94.5 F-250 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, 5 spd 7.3L PSD.
DRJ48 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I tryed it once on my new IROC ( way back then)your suppost to drive for about 50 miles so it pregnates to the cylinder walls. While I was doing it the engine blew. Thank god Chevy put a new motor in for only 100$ dedutable. I wouldnt do it.
2001 white F250 sc xlt psd," DI regulator kit, DI BIG fuel system, DI Mine-Me injectors, DI ATS BB Turbo, DP Chip,DI Valve Pressure Release,DI-adjustable IDM mod ",Terminator 2 HPOP R-IPR, APR studs, 910 valve springs, BTS Trans&Converter,6.0 Intercooler, AFE Stage 2 with zoodad,Power Elbow, Bully Dog full 4" exhaust with 5" tip,Fluidampr, hx mod,203t-stat, CCV mod, Fumoto Oil Valve,Cool-Max Trans Cooler, Autometer Phantom Gauges,Bilstein shocks, Rancho5406 stablizer, Edge 4" lift kit, Rear RoadMasters active suspension, EGR Slotted & Crossed Drilled Rotors with Carbon/Kelvar brake pads, Welds Cheyenne 8s, Roll & Lock bed cover, Sylvania SilverStar 9007& 9005s, Chrome Billet Grill, 2003 Clear Headlights, APC Clear corners, APC Euro rear lens, APC gas & brake peddles, Acetone Badges, Chrome Door & Tail Gate Handles, Oakley Seat Covers, Viper alarm, Cyclops Fuel Cut-off alarm.

[color:"blue"]MY TRUCK[/color]
joediesle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

S N A K E ERRRRRRLLLL. Dont put this CRAP in your engine Oil.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Do not use it. That also applies to K&N filters - they do flow better, they have larger pores that also flow more dirt than a stock paper filter. For proof, feel the grit on the inside of your clean air tube if you run one. The filter oil will also mess up the heated MAF element.
Try synthetic oil instead. Change your filters at the recommended intervals. Drain the water from the HFCM every month. These are all things that will make a difference!

Synthetic oil will help cold starts. If you don't tow, use 10W30 when it's below 90F outside.
Tec80 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2006, 02:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Google it and make your own decision. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2006, 05:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have a buddy that deals in Prolong additives. (Flame suit on) I use it in all of my vehicles. I won't go into a long-winded story, but that stuff saved the $7K engine in my '73 Torino, and it sold me. I don't use it on every oil change, just once or twice a year. This stuff is not thick like Slick 50 is, and I noticed less noisy cold starts when I used it, especially with my '02 7.3L

Please do not bother with the "snake oil" speeches. I am not an idiot, and I wouldn't use Prolong if it did not yield me results. Most folks with critisism on this product have not, nor will they ever actually try it, and I didn't, either, until I witnessed results from someone else's truck.
Traded at 45K for: Red 2011 F-350 XLT SRW 4x4 6.7L reg cab BFG 12.5x35 mud terrains, no lift. "optioned" out of- stick shift, rubber floors, audiophile stereo, fog lights, chrome step bars GRRRRR!
torino73 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I have a buddy that deals in Prolong additives.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha, good old Solong.

had a buddy that put it in his 400 pontiac and it spit a rod.

put it in you engine and say So-Long. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
BigBadF350 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)

I have no experience using slick 50 in a diesel. Even so, wouldn't use it in mine.

FWIW..I did use in my old 88 460cid. Don't recall any early on problem, but I dumped oil not long after. Why, cause found out later it could crud up internal parts. Another product (not related) at the time "STP" turned out to be no more than a $$$ oil thickener.

T73...I used "prolong" in my old hi mi. chevy V6. It did decrease oil consumption. Will be using soon in my Buick V6. If it works same, I'll continue to use. Dont know on diesel?
Old 12-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

In my 1983 Chevy S-10 (my first vehicle) I used to use a product called Motor Honey. I can't say as it helped anything, but I was 17 years old and thought it helped the 2.8L engine run better. That truck had 118K miles when I got it and it had nearly 200K when I sold it. I miss that truck.

FWIW, I'm not adding anything to the motor oil in this truck. IIRC, I believe the owner's manual even warns against adding stuff to the oil.

Current Truck -- 2008 Black F350 XLT 4x4, 6.8 V10, CC Long Bed, 4.10 rear, 18" wheels, IBC. Additions: Chrome Step Bars, Chrome door handles, Silver barbed-wire pin stripe, B&W Turnover GN ball
barrelhorses is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

I thought these guys had been scared off years ago for misleading advertising. Bottom line: the temperatures within the engine are nowhere near what would be required to bond PTFE to anything, even if it were so inclined. With the good oil filters we run, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the powdered PTFE ended up right there on the first pass anyway. Hope so, I sure wouldn't want that stuff or the wrong-for-our-engines oil that it comes in anywhere near the injectors.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Slick 50 states nothing about C-I4 rated. Greased Lightning is C-I4 rated!! I've used it in my all my trucks every 50,000 miles!! Don't know if it helps but it can't hurt!!
---07 Shelby GT500--- Performance White Vert-- Mods-- JLT Intake, 2.6" upper & 10% IW Lower Pulleys, AFCO Duel Pass Heat Ext., American Racing Long Tube Headders, Full 3" Magnaflow Exhaust, Evolution Stage 4 Tune, BMR Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft, Steeda UCA & LCAs Currie 9" 1:3:75s True-Trac locker, Proglass Cold Air Hood, 36,500 miles---11.491 1/4 mile! 592RWHP
mobeydick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.