Slow or no response from accelerator - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slow or no response from accelerator

I have an 06 F-250 with about 32k, only owner, no mods, and have had all maintenance service done at the dealer.
Just recently, was pulling away from a stop sign and the accelerator did nothing. I literally coasted around the stop until the engine finally kicked in. On another occasion (about two weeks later), Interstate traffic was slowed to about 10 mph, and when it finally started to move, the accelerator response was gone again. I coasted at idle speed, pedal pushed more than half way, and finally it kicked in again.
I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't replicate the situation, so they couldn't do anything about it. Why do they have to replicate the symptom? What's the sense in giving a description of the problem if they're not going to use it?
They said they flashed it with an update according to some TSB, and now I notice more hesitation at normal road speed when accelorating out of a turn or passing another vehicle.
The truck is completely stock. Anyone got any ideas on this quirk? I'm new (first diesel) at this and out of my league at analyzing these symptoms.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
When was the last time you drained the water/fuel separator?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Huh? Really, I've never done it myself. Always relied on service techs to do that. Had service done at the dealers as scheduled. Looks like I'm about to learn some new tricks.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
L..why not ask your dealer/tec. why yours reflashed per TSB & also what u dont like about it. What ever issues you have..tec. needs to verify or duplicate, otherwise your usually SOL till that happens. Be sure your orig. r/o stated your concerns. Good luck!

btw...look here 6.0L Bible Table of Contents

Last edited by OT; 07-28-2009 at 03:56 PM.
OT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead View Post
Huh? Really, I've never done it myself. Always relied on service techs to do that. Had service done at the dealers as scheduled. Looks like I'm about to learn some new tricks.
Search for "HCFM Plug" to get more info, or just read this helpful article. I try to drain mine about every 3rd tank. Makes it much easier with this plug. If you have 4x4, donate a 6mm right angle hex wrench and make it a stubby by cutting off part of it to make the change even easier. Search by part number in Google or by "HCFM plug ford diesel" and you'll find a good price, it's rather cheap.

Diesel Technician Society

Your symptoms are similar to when I forget to drain that and the engine is getting bad fuel because the water/fuel separator is clogged up with water. It is supposed to be drained regularly.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just wondering if you drained the water/fuel separator and if your hesitation problem has gone away? I also have a lag in my 04, 6.0L diesel. It is very sporatic and comes and goes as it pleases. No rhyme or reason to it at all. Seems to happen most often at the lights when I go to step on the accelerator and there is nothing there? A dead spot for 2 to 4 seconds. Then after a few seconds the engine picks up RPM and off I go.
Ford diesel techs just scratch thier heads, haven't got a clue as no error codes are produced and the problem of course won't reoccur when they test drive the truck. Other posts on this problem indicated a corosion build up on the contacts of the pickup wire coming off the potentio meter? One fellow claims he solved this problem by soldering the wire directly to the contacts and hasn't had a hesitation in 350 miles and counting?
I haven't had a chance to look at this wire yet, but I'm sure hoping this is the problem!
Randalsdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalsdiesel View Post
I also have a lag in my 04, 6.0L diesel. It is very sporatic and comes and goes as it pleases. No rhyme or reason to it at all. Seems to happen most often at the lights when I go to step on the accelerator and there is nothing there? A dead spot for 2 to 4 seconds. Then after a few seconds the engine picks up RPM and off I go.
Just a thought, but does the idle noise get noticably quieter when this happens? This sounds alot like a problem I had early on when the EGR valve failed on my 04 with no codes. It was an intermittent problem that just continued to get worse.

Past 2002 F-350 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, Toreador
Red, 7.3L, Auto, DRW, Fully Loaded.

Past 94.5 F-250 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, 5 spd 7.3L PSD.
DRJ48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

I took it to the dealer on Monday, got it back yesterday afternoon, and it seems to be doing better, but not 100%. The dealer changed out the accelerator pedal, guess it's drive by wire. Still has a bit of hesitation, but not as bad. I've never drained the water/fuel seperator (thought that was a part of the service) even though the water in fuel light has never come on, perhaps that will help. Lots of good help on this site and I thank everyone for their suggestions.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ48 View Post
Just a thought, but does the idle noise get noticably quieter when this happens? This sounds alot like a problem I had early on when the EGR valve failed on my 04 with no codes. It was an intermittent problem that just continued to get worse.
I actually haven't noticed if it gets quieter but then again I haven't been looking for this symptom either. Next time my truck has a no go issue I'll be looking for this to happen and I'll keep you posted. My truck had the EGR replaced last year after a melt down, it's been de-tuned as per Fords recall and had all other recalls performed.

Last edited by Randalsdiesel; 07-30-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Randalsdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 06:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Same hesitation - 05 6.0 Excursion

***?? My truck has been doing this for the past 6-7k miles (I'm at 45k now). I'll be waiting to enter a stream of traffic, or sitting at a light. I step on the pedal and NOTHING!! I stomp it to the floor, and hold it there for 1... 2... then suddenly she takes off like a bat out of hell. But in the meantime, I'm about to get plowed by the line of traffic. I brought it to the dealer and asked them to check the turbo. I took a chance, since they said that if they didn't find a warranty issue, I'd have to pay $200 for the diagnosis. I lucked out, and they found bad corrosion on the turbo impeller. Replaced parts, and I was back on the road. A few days later, and I'm back to Old Unfaithful. This is driving me up a wall, and is becoming truly dangerous.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
Log...curious..after new accel. u say better, but not 100%. Can u better explain..still has abit of hesitation? Not to be confused with normal turbo lag.

bsclay...did u call dealer/svc. & let um know your still having a problem? T. can be tested to show if its working correctly. If truly dangerous, still under warr. then u park it at dealer svc. till fixed, right? Good luck!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

To add to the poor acceleration, I've now had two instances in two weeks where I drove for 5-10 minutes, then turned off the truck. 5 minutes later, I get back in and turn it on, and it won't start - turns over, but rumbling and shaking, like it's starved for fuel. I then wait another minute or so, and then I can get it going. Does this symptom point to anything else?

And no, the dealer doesn't know yet. I need to get it in this week.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Check the ICP sensor

This happened to me a few times and then it left me stranded.

The ICP sensor on the passenger side towards the fronmt of the engine had a bad pin in the connector.(factory installed)

I would idle across intersections and then the pedal would work. I diagnosed it for the ford dealer because they couldn't duplicate issue.

With a bad pin in the connector the accelerator gets the message that the engine is being overfueled and doesn't allow it to function properly.
jonrdunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

ICP sensor

Dealer changed out ICP sensor and I have never had a problem since.

Hope this helps if its not fuel related.
jonrdunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

After listening to everyone here, I chose to take the truck into the dealer yesterday morning. I couldn't re-create the problem for them to see, so I didn't leave it with them (I figured they'd charge me for diagnosis, and find nothing). In an ironic twist, I pulled into a drive-through last night, and the girl couldn't hear me over the engine noise. So I shut her down, placed my order, and then... nothing. The truck wouldn't start back up. It cranked and cranked just fine - batteries were strong, but it wouldn't catch at all. Sounded almost like someone had pulled the plugs out. I tried 5 or 6 times, then had to have the manager push me back out to the parking lot. I waited about 20 minutes, then tried again and it fired up (with a little struggle). So, I'm taking it in this morning. Does this help anyone with a diagnosis?
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.