slow take-off - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
slow take-off

I have a new 2006 f350 dully. When I take off from a stop i have to push peddle half way down before it will take off is this normal or is there an ajustment I can make. Almost got hit taking off from a stop sighn on my way to work today
BIRD1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: slow take-off

Is it your first diesel? If so, you'll need to adapt to how a turbo diesel responds. If it's not a first, since it's new, the delaer may need to take a look at it, or you could have one that's just got a little more lag that normal.

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is pretty much normal. Turbo lag - takes about 1-2 seconds before you have really good power to move the 8K lb machine. We as users can't do any adjustments on the engine unless you have the computer hookup to do it.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

This truck definitely seems to have more than my '01 7.3. It's also very bad for the first couple of minutes until the engine gets warmed up. Just be aware of it and don't pull out into traffic in a bad spot. You can also combat it by holding the brake and giving it a little gas to spool up the turbo before you're ready to take off.
'68 5.0L Bronco
robellis77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was having this problem and it was my EGR valve stuck- does it blow a lot of black smoke when taking off?
thesavant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mine is the same way. It is really sluggish when it is cold and when it warms up it takes about 1 second to really get spooled up good. I thought there was something wrong also, but this is my first diesel and it is weird to not have it as responsive as my gasser, but I wouldn't trade back for anything. I will never own another gasser!!

2004 Platinum Edition F-350 PSD, 6.0L, 2005 Front End W/ Harley Davidson Grille & Smoked Headlights, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Sun Roof, 165 HP TS Chip, AFE Stage II Intake, MBRP Cool Duals W/ 6" Tips, Autometer Guages (boost, tranny temp& EGT's), 8" Tough Country Suspension Lift, 20" Ion Wheels wrapped in 38x15.5 Toyo MT's.
BadStroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Take it to the dealer.... It will be EGR and or injector related IMO.
awayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Take it to the dealer.... It will be EGR and or injector related IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

My truck has been like this since it was delivered. I did have a recall back around 15k miles and they replaced the EGR and something else. Absolutely no change.
'68 5.0L Bronco
robellis77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Same with my '05 excursion...way more noticeable than with either of the 2000 model pickups with 7.3 powerstrokes. Add me to the list of satisfied people who have sold their 6.0 liter powered vehicles before they got t-boned.
arfmel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Is it because it's a 350 or dually? My 05 250 doesn't seem to have any lag. The throttle is so touchy that I usually have to feather it 2 or 3 times to start off on a dirt road to get the tires to stay gripped.
4" MBRP Off-Road Turbo back exhaust
Average 700 miles/week
KnapperBud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Answer: Stick shift. Use the granny gear on take-off, tach it up to at least 3K before shifting, and you'll never know what turbo lag is.
Traded at 45K for: Red 2011 F-350 XLT SRW 4x4 6.7L reg cab BFG 12.5x35 mud terrains, no lift. "optioned" out of- stick shift, rubber floors, audiophile stereo, fog lights, chrome step bars GRRRRR!
torino73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.