The Diesel Stop banner

So this happened... opinions ? (Video)

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Phil G. 
#1 · (Edited)
The link below is a video of the issue I stumbled across after taking off the rear wheel rotor.

I am guessing the axle seal broke ? Also, why is the park brake disc slanted like that?

Does anyone know the parts to buy re: the axle seal ? Also, what do you recommend for re-filling the axle with gear lub ? Thanks

https://youtu.be/DlRg6VTgcVc

#2 · (Edited)
The major issue that you have there is that the backing plate has rusted/rotted away. The plate provides the mounting and support for the parking brake shoes. The repair requires you to replace the entire assembly which comes complete from Ford with the brake anchor, backing plate, parking brake shoes and hardware. I do not know what is available from the aftermarket so you will need to do some research. This is a common problem with these trucks residing in the rust belt of the country. I have replaced many of these over the years. I suspect that the other side is in similar condition.

The oil is coming from the wheel hub. It is likely crap from the brakes has damaged the seal or since water and dirt can easily come in contact with it that may be a factor. Since you need to remove the hub to replace the brake assembly you will be repairing that at the same time. After you remove the axle shaft, check the wheel bearing for looseness and roughness before removing the bearing nut then clean and inspect the spindle for corrosion. Even though the oil seal seals internally within the seal and not to that spindle, any rust or heavy pitting can still cause oil to leak after the new seal has been installed.

This is also a good time to inspect your parking brake cables for condition and that the move freely. If one or both require replacing now is a good time to do it since they will be disconnected to replace the brake assemblies.

Be prepared with your wallet - the parts are expensive. Special tools for the wheel bearing nut and seal driver are required.

#3 ·
I would recommend you replace the axle seal with the proper Ford part. A local shop had to replace the axle seal 3 times as the first two were after market parts and leaked immediately. The third time they had to take the VIN# to the local Ford dealer to get the correct axle seal and it has not leaked. This is critical as a leaking axle seal will require new parking brake shoes. My local shop lost money big time on this repair.

#4 ·
Regarding backing plates, Dorman makes them (just bare plates, not loaded with brakes) and they are quite cheap, like $50 or something. I installed a set on my truck a few years ago and no regrets so far. Regarding seals, ya, you'll probably want to stick with what the guys are telling you, not something you want to do twice. You will likely want a seal driver for those rear seals. I bought one from OTC, I don't recall the number on it but it worked perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.