The Diesel Stop banner

Starter clicks, sometimes starts

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  79jasper 
#1 ·
04 6.0 323k miles

just did oil cooler replacement after i got the truck. Truck ran great for almost a week and the starter motor would spin but the gear wouldn't. I pulled starter off and had it rebuilt by a reputable shop. Many starters rebuilt for me. Get starter back and it works for 3 days perfectly. Then i go out for work and starter on clicks. Leave it be and drive car. Pulled starter and it tests fine on ground with jumper cables. Put it back on truck and it started first try. Cut it off and try again and it clicks. Keep trying key and 1-30 key turns later it will eventually start. I pulled starter again and took it back to builder. He puts another solenoid on it and tests it in front of me and it works every time. Put it back on truck and same story. 1-30 key turns and it will eventually spin the starter. I tried grounding the starter to battery and also tried it directly to frame. No change. I pulled the connector from the fender and hooked it to battery and same issues as with key. Tonight i tried jumper cable to main lug and to + battery terminal and it started first try. Tried it again and never would start. It doesn't seem to be a main power issue nor a ground issue. Could the signal wire to starter be enough to make solenoid hit but not spin motor? I'm really at a loss. I've cleaned terminals, switched batteries, tried jumping off other cars. Both batteries are indeed good. I'm lost. Thanks for any insight or lead in the right direction.

See less See more
#2 ·
If these have the starter Solenoid on the fender like the older trucks do, that's your problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.