Stripped water/fuel seperator drain - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stripped water/fuel seperator drain

What am I going to have to do now to drain this thing? Remove the HCFM and slot the plug?
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 07:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Stripped water/fuel seperator drain

If you're still under the 5 year/100K mile warranty, take it to the dealer and let them fix it. They'll likely replace the entire little manifold on the side of the HFCM (the part that has the drain plug in its cover), especially since you have a 2003 truck which was covered by a TSB to replace that part when the water in fuel light would go off erroneously due to crud buildup.

The new part should come with a steel plug instead of brass, which will fix the problem permanently. You can live with that, or do what a lot of us have done and upgrade to the knurled-knob plug as used in the LCF trucks sold by Ford and International.

Duncan
The 6.0L Bible: Web page
The 6.4L Bible: Web page
frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

oh sweet, thanks, ill make an appointment with the dealer right now.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

also do a search....this has been covered numerous times.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

The search on this forum is very innacurate, ive tried.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

I haven't had this problem. But someone once recommended JB Welding the allen wrench to the stripped plug head to get it out. Of course you would want to have the replacement plug ready to put in. I'm not sure if this will work, but it's an idea worth considering anyhow. Good luck.

Current Truck -- 2008 Black F350 XLT 4x4, 6.8 V10, CC Long Bed, 4.10 rear, 18" wheels, IBC. Additions: Chrome Step Bars, Chrome door handles, Silver barbed-wire pin stripe, B&W Turnover GN ball
barrelhorses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

If the dealer won't fix free, you can use a center punch and hammer to remove it. Put center punch near outer diameter and start hitting with the hammer. Once it starts to dig in angle the punch so that it will loosen the plug and continue hitting it until it breaks it loose.

You might also try using the ball end of a ball peen hammer to hit the hex on the plug, this will flare some metal back into the hole and tighten the hex back up, then put your allen wrench back in and hit the allen wrench while trying to turn it.

These are old machinist / mechanic tricks that have worked for me in similar situations.

Traded:2004 F250CC FX4 XLT Long Bed Torque Shift, $5.00 AIC.
NickBeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Of note here, after you get it fixed. The seal is accomplished by the o-ring, not torque. Just be really carefull when inserting the plug and only use mild force when torquing the wrench,
Kentucky built 2004 Silver F-250 XL Reg Cab PSD, 4X2, bench cloth seat,air conditioning, 6 spd Manual, 3.73 LS,Line-X , FORD receiver, Prodigy brake controller,towing option,( put together on Monday, March 29, del April 9 2004) 62000 miles
ta152h0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.