Stuck In 4 Wheel Drive - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stuck In 4 Wheel Drive

Hi I have a 2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4. Yesterday I put in in 4 wheel drive once I got back to hard ground I turned it back to 2 wheel. The dash light showed it to be in 4x4 still. I tried to go back and forth between the 2-4 drive. I am pretty sure that the hubs are still locked but the transfer case is not. I know the hubs work off of vaccum, but am not sure where the selinoid is nor which fuse that powers this (I do not have a owners manual). If there is someone with some knowlege of this I would be glad to listen.

Thanks Ted
Tbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Update

Both the hubs and transfercase are locked I tried to change it from 2-4 with the engine not running to see if I could hear the transfercase change but could not. I need to know where the fuse is that controls this. I found the solinoid it was on the right hand fender.

Thanks, Ted
Old 09-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

You don't say if you're in high or low but if you're in low to shift out you have to put the tranny in N, hold down the brake, and then turn the dial to 2WD.
tzurick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

not working

I have tried that several times it has not worked. I have check the plug that goes to the solonid on the transfercase and I do not get power to it when I change from 2 wheel to 4 wheel or to low. When I first put it in 4 wheel drive I went to low range but it never went past high range. once I got on hard ground it went back to 2 wheel. but the hubs were still locked I know this because the front drive shaft would spin when the truck moved fwd/rev. I could hold the brakes and only the rear wheels would spin. so now I have it back in 4wd the transfercase is locked and the front hubs are also and it will not go back to 2wd.
Thanks, Ted
Old 09-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
Have you tried backing up when you are in 2WD?
I know that is old school, but might be worth a shot?

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

stuck

Yea if you put it all together I have backed up about 2 miles I have tried swerving as I am backing a little bit of everything I am going to try and tap on the soloniod and see if that might help. I just had it in 4wd when the hurricane came through here last weekend and had no problems with it? anyway if I get it out I will be worried the next time I put it back in.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hmm?

Just came from the truck its out of 4wd transfer case and hubs I have done nothing since yesterday except check the plugs for power and fuses. But the problem know is it wont go back in. I guess this tells me that it is a electrical problem not just a mechanical problem like most. I have messed with so many plugs an fuses I dont even know where to start I do not have a wiring diagram on this truck. If anyone knows where I can get one please let me know.

Thanks, Ted
Old 09-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

My truck did the same thing and it turned out to be the solenoid on the fender behind the battery on passenger side, about 60.00 at the ford dealer, works fine now.
DieselSteve2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 07:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

I had this happen before & mine was the switch on the dash. Make sure the wiring connection is tight & I had a little corrosion on the terminals (gotta love the coast). Since then, I have not not had any problems.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.