Symptoms of failed EGR - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Symptoms of failed EGR

Hello all, This is my first post here I have gained tons of valuable info already. Would like to know what the symptoms are when an EGR valve fails. Truck is stock its an 04 SRW I am having a power loss issue filters replaced air and both fuel filters Fuel pressure is 70PSI at test port, just cleaned turbo with no improvement. I have no way to check for codes yet. Was wondering if a failed EGR will cause this, also is there a way to test EGR.
slack82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

The last time i had a EGR valve problem it lost power when i pressed the throttle to pass on the interstate it would blow black smoke
3000 watt inverter keeps drill batteries charged
4" tubo back MBRP cool duals
CFM+ intake elbow / Airaid cold air intake
SCT X3 from innovative diesel
Coolant Filter / Amsoil by-pass system
ATS Intercooler
Fluidampr / 200 amp alternator
ARP head bolts / Black onyx head gaskets
185cc Injectors 70hp+ / stock turbo
stage 1 fuel lines / cross over with fixed orifice
58 volt FIMC mod from swamps diesel
Airdog 2 with in tank fuel module upgrade Mag-Hytec Diff. and trans. covers
Aluminum degas tank
paintingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Had it stick open once and it blew the black smoke. Removed it and found a large chuck of soot had come loose and wedged it open. Cleaned it with the carb cleaner careful not to get it in the holes on the actuator. Put it back in and it ran great for a 2k miles now it runs fine just no power.

Last edited by teamroper60; 06-21-2010 at 07:55 PM.
slack82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have an 05 F350. When my EGR Valve went out it would stick in the open position. When I examined it I could make it stick when it was out of the truck too. Same symptoms you describe..Runs fine, no power. I bought a brand new Motorcraft EGR Valve on Ebay for 134.00 Ford wanted $300.00ish. Two (it think 8mm) bolts later, my truck ran great. I'm looking forward to deleting the EGR system on mine as I think its sad that one little part can cause so many problems...Good Luck!!
Ford Family Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.