Symptoms of a turbo failure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Symptoms of a turbo failure

What are the various symptoms of a failing turbo? I am pretty sure mine is going kerpoot, but before I spend the $$$$$ to replace it I want to know if that's all that wrong.

Last edited by Roosterq; 03-12-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Roosterq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

What year truck? Any mods? Do you have a boost gauge and if so what indications? What is the driveabilty issue? Any codes? What is the history of the truck? Everbody will need more info to make a logical reply and help you out.

Past 2002 F-350 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, Toreador
Red, 7.3L, Auto, DRW, Fully Loaded.

Past 94.5 F-250 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, 5 spd 7.3L PSD.
DRJ48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ok, I was more so looking for general indications that one is going bad, but maybe symptoms and info would be a better approach.

2006 F350 6.0 no mods the factory boost gauge shows I'm getting the expected boost for what ever the driving conditions are (5 - 20 psi). It's seems to have good power, and drives fine. It has codes P0404 "EGR circuit range/performance" & P0405 "EGR sensor A circuit low" As far as the history I've only owned the truck a short time, and believe the turbo may have been the reason for the unbelievably low price I payed for it.

The symptoms:
It has a faint buzzing noise when you get into it.
On one occasion it began to smoke and there was a very noticable loss of power. This went away after I stopped to check for something loose or anything. It cranked and drove fine after that.
The dead give away is there is oil coating the inside of the boots that connects the turbo to the intercooler.

Like I said I'm pretty sure about the turbo, but can all those symptoms be attributed to that?(besides the EGR codes) Or does it look like I'm sitting on a money pit?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

All of the above sounds normal except for the boost. With a load you should be getting around 26 to 28 lbs. of boost. It does sound like your egr could use cleaning or replacing.
69cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
The symptoms:
It has a faint buzzing noise when you get into it.
On one occasion it began to smoke and there was a very noticable loss of power. This went away after I stopped to check for something loose or anything. It cranked and drove fine after that.
The dead give away is there is oil coating the inside of the boots that connects the turbo to the intercooler.

Like I said I'm pretty sure about the turbo, but can all those symptoms be attributed to that?(besides the EGR codes) Or does it look like I'm sitting on a money pit?
The buzzing when you get in & turn it on is the fuel pump. If it buzzes after you turn it off, that's the "buzz flash" which has been replaced by the "inductive heating flash" for preventing stiction during a cold start.

The oil "coating the the inside of the boots" is normal. Its from the CCV. It has been known to cause the boots to blow off the turbo though, so if you took them off, make sure you clean them real good & get them back on properly.

The rest sounds to me like a sticking EGR valve.

One thing with a 6.0, though - how often do you run it? The 6.0 turbo is known for having a problem rusting up & sticking if not used on a REGULAR basis. They really need to be run at least every other week, especially if you live in a high humidity area. Getting it out every 7 -10 day & running for half an hour is about the best thing you can do for it.

OMC
Old 03-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would have to say change or take off and clean the egr i have had 3 or 4 egr's replaced at ford. with your same symptoms .hope this helps
john35mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

try this link good luckhttp://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-05-15.php
john35mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMCUSNR View Post
The buzzing when you get in & turn it on is the fuel pump. If it buzzes after you turn it off, that's the "buzz flash" which has been replaced by the "inductive heating flash" for preventing stiction during a cold start.
Sorry for the confusion, I ment heavy acceleration when I said "get into it" It almost sounds like a drimmel tool.

Quote:
The oil "coating the the inside of the boots" is normal. Its from the CCV. It has been known to cause the boots to blow off the turbo though, so if you took them off, make sure you clean them real good & get them back on properly.
So are you saying you think the turbo is fine? If you don't think there is a turbo issue I may go get a second opinion before I drop a significant stack of Bengimins one a new turbo.

Quote:
The rest sounds to me like a sticking EGR valve.

One thing with a 6.0, though - how often do you run it? The 6.0 turbo is known for having a problem rusting up & sticking if not used on a REGULAR basis. They really need to be run at least every other week, especially if you live in a high humidity area. Getting it out every 7 -10 day & running for half an hour is about the best thing you can do for it.
I drive it to work at least a couple of times a week (30 minutes each way) but haven't had a chance to load it up (might explain not seeing it boost over 20) as I just bought it and want to make sure it is in top shape before putting it to work for real.

Thanks for all the info. What would you reccomend having checked if you had just bought this truck. Oh, it has 157000 miles on it too, not that that is all that much for a diesel.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
Quote:
What would you have checked
R..1st..need to find out about DTCs. There for egr. Maybe valve bad..needs cleaning or ? Good luck

btw..when my t. was dying..had intermittant power loss to start with (like sticking blades) Also started making strange sound when you let off go pedal (coasting) in anticipation of making a stop. Finally..full time power loss=reman.t. My egr was OK. 6L's are snowflakes.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like you are using the truck pretty good then.

Like OT & a couple of the other have said, I'd try & clean the EGR or replace it 1st, as that's the easiest & cheapest to start & won't hurt it at all to do it.

Ford Doc's site has an article on cleaning the turbo too (I think), so if you're handy with wrenches you might try that.

Good Luck!!

OMC
Old 03-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well it sounds as though the concensus is I may not have anything wrong with the turbo, but just a bad EGR issue.
I've been wrenching (shade tree) since I was 12, and lets just say I aint 12 anymore, so I'm fairly confident in those skills. The diffrence is I've personally only owned gassers, which when you get to the finer details is quite a diffrent animal. I've been in a few jobs that required me to drive similar size diesel engine vehicles so I'm not totaly foregn to them though. Anyway thanks for the info.

One more thing, Having just bought this vehicle a couple of weeks ago, I ask this question.
What would you reccomend someone do who has just bought a 2006 F350 Diesel with 157,000 miles on it do?, just to make sure everything is in top notch condition.

The more the information the better I plan to die before I buy another truck, so this one needs to last a LONG while Thanks in advance for the information.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterq View Post
Well it sounds as though the concensus is I may not have anything wrong with the turbo, but just a bad EGR issue.
I've been wrenching (shade tree) since I was 12, and lets just say I aint 12 anymore, so I'm fairly confident in those skills. The diffrence is I've personally only owned gassers, which when you get to the finer details is quite a diffrent animal. I've been in a few jobs that required me to drive similar size diesel engine vehicles so I'm not totaly foregn to them though. Anyway thanks for the info.

One more thing, Having just bought this vehicle a couple of weeks ago, I ask this question.
What would you reccomend someone do who has just bought a 2006 F350 Diesel with 157,000 miles on it do?, just to make sure everything is in top notch condition.

The more the information the better I plan to die before I buy another truck, so this one needs to last a LONG while Thanks in advance for the information.
Extra filters & gauges. I'd look into bypass oil, a coolant filter, and a CCV filter. Gauges: Overhead 4, EGT, trans temp, fuel pressure & boost.

I've had good luck with DELO 15W40, but if it gets cold where you are a good 5W40 syn is a good idea. Its about time for a coolant change too. If you haven't done hoses & t-stat, them too. Coolant is zerex G-05, Ford premium gold, or a good ELC. Search for coolant about the last 6mos here & in the general ?? forum.

If you haven't got the IH replacement drain plug for the HFCM, get one. $16 & it'll make checking the fuel for water much easier. Fumoto valve for oil is slick too. You might want to take an OA every once in a while too. I've taken one at every OC just to track fuel dilution.

OMC
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.