Tea Kettle Whistle, -03 6.0L - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to clayman Send a message via Skype™ to clayman
Tea Kettle Whistle, -03 6.0L

Ok i have been using the search function trying to nail down every possible thread regarding -03 6.0's with whistle issues. Long story short, after i installed the full 4" turboback my truck has been whistling a lot, too much for me to be happy with it, i am trying to find the solution on making this go away. A few things that i am aware of:

* 2003 6.0's are more intended to whistle due to the turbo design. Question is if mine has another issue making it whistle even more? The noice is very annoying inside the cab during boost/rpm build up, once you dont spool the turbo/load the motor its fine.

* I have read about leaky Y-pipes, degas bottle caps, blown EGR gaskets that can cause increased whistling, i tried removing the degas cap completely and run the truck a short distance with no difference. I cannot see or hear any leaks from the Y-pipe, is there a good procedure on how to check this? EGR Y-pipe plate "thingy" was installed during the 4" exhaust installation and the kitty was not reinstalled as well.

It all comes down to that this started when the exhaust was installed and i am puzzled no matter to that this is normal 2003 open exhaust whistle or if its an unlucky combination of something failing/leaking/draining etc during the time it got installed.

Question is, where do i start? putting another muffler on to see if the whistle decreases? start looking for issues with leaky pipes etc? I need some input on this matter.

Sorry for the long thread but thank you if you have read it this far!!
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Put the cat back on and see if that cures your problem.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have heard the the cat is very restrictive and will cause high EGT's? Also, since it is not a muffler, will it change the sound much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post
Put the cat back on and see if that cures your problem.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

my guess is your boiling the water on the egr cooler and it's blowing out the cap..

Had that happen to me, it was a egr cooler and head gasket replacement..
05' F-350 6.0L Diesel Crew Cab Long bed sitting on Brentz Wheels Custom Billet Dually 22's, Kenwood Indash Nav, Sirrrus Sat, HD Radio, Nintendo game Cube, 2 - 7" Tv's in head rests, Dual MTX 10" Subs behind seat, Arp Studs, Innovative Diesel SCT tuned for Snow Performance Stage III Meth kit, Bully Dog 5" turbo back exhaust, AFE Stage II w/ProGuard 7 Cold Air Intake, Remote Start. 03 Turbo, dam the whistle is Insane! @ 38 PSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2zEFb6bFLc - Video
8000K Bi-Xeon H.I.D Headlights, Recon Big Rig, White lighting tailgate light and 3rd LED Brake lights.
05Duallyon22s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
I have heard the the cat is very restrictive and will cause high EGT's? Also, since it is not a muffler, will it change the sound much?
It will have a big impact on sound. But high EGTs?? Not so much unless you call 25 degrees high.... That was the difference on mine....
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

Old 11-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Duallyon22s View Post
my guess is your boiling the water on the egr cooler and it's blowing out the cap..
I thought that too at first but he said he ran it without the cap and there was no difference... If the noise was the cap venting, the whistle should have been gone without it.....

pics

Old 11-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes i drove it without the cap and there was no difference what so ever. Also, it is constant, cold engine, warm engine etc, i guess i will start looking for the conversion parts to get the cat back on if we are only talking 25 degree EGT's and try that out.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

If it's like this whistle..

then it is what it is.. you'll have to put the cat back on..

YouTube - SSHPRacing.com F-350 PowerStroke 6.0 Dually with Loud Turbo

If it's a different whistle, then that's bad...
05' F-350 6.0L Diesel Crew Cab Long bed sitting on Brentz Wheels Custom Billet Dually 22's, Kenwood Indash Nav, Sirrrus Sat, HD Radio, Nintendo game Cube, 2 - 7" Tv's in head rests, Dual MTX 10" Subs behind seat, Arp Studs, Innovative Diesel SCT tuned for Snow Performance Stage III Meth kit, Bully Dog 5" turbo back exhaust, AFE Stage II w/ProGuard 7 Cold Air Intake, Remote Start. 03 Turbo, dam the whistle is Insane! @ 38 PSI
8000K Bi-Xeon H.I.D Headlights, Recon Big Rig, White lighting tailgate light and 3rd LED Brake lights.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yupp, sounds very similar to the whistle i want to get rid of! How do you stand it in the long run!?

Quote:
If it's like this whistle..

then it is what it is.. you'll have to put the cat back on..

YouTube - SSHPRacing.com F-350 PowerStroke 6.0 Dually with Loud Turbo

If it's a different whistle, then that's bad...
Old 11-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yupp, sounds very similar to the whistle i want to get rid of! How do you stand it in the long run!?
Simple...Not my daily driver...it's an 05 with 30K on the clock.

it's the 03 turbo only that does it...You can switch to any other year turbo and get rid of it...

I specifically switched my 05 turbo for an 03..
Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
That whistle is pure music to most of us but if you don't like it, putting the cat back on will solve your problem.....

pics

Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Simple...Not my daily driver...it's an 05 with 30K on the clock.

it's the 03 turbo only that does it...You can switch to any other year turbo and get rid of it...

I specifically switched my 05 turbo for an 03..
Do you still have your 05 Turbo? Want to get another 03 instead?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post
That whistle is pure music to most of us but if you don't like it, putting the cat back on will solve your problem.....
Dont get me wrong, i like turbo whistle. However when pulling something in the lower RPM range and you have people in the cab that cant hear a word in a conversation i gotta figure something out.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
I have a leaky Y-pipe on my Excursion that is getting fixed today. My engine had an annoying hissing sound at all times. Do you have this symptom?
2003 Eddie Bauer Excursion (born 8 Apr 03), 6.0L PSD (Oxford White & Arizona Beige), 117k miles and going strong, C95 Fuel Injectors, 4x4, 5-spd Torqshift, 3.73 Rear, Heated two-tone leather seats, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Bilstein Shocks, PSD Badges, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller. Engine Repairs: 2009-ICP and ICP Harness & Exhaust Y-Pipe. 1972 Airstream Sovereign Travel Trailer.

US Navy Retired
MelloMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you still have your 05 Turbo? Want to get another 03 instead?
I do in fact with only 20K on it, how many miles on the 03?

PS you also need to change the pedistal it's on which i have..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.